Cellar Tracker archetypes

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
JAKE H A N C O C K

Cellar Tracker archetypes

#1 Post by JAKE H A N C O C K » December 10th, 2018, 8:18 pm

1) guy who only drinks trophy bottles and rates them all below 94 points.

2) new sommelier guy who only drinks wines you’ve never heard of and gives them highly variable and unpredictable scores. 300 tasting notes in 3 months and then never heard from again.

Your turn

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Cellar Tracker archetypes

#2 Post by J.Vizuete » December 10th, 2018, 8:34 pm

3) The Loose Cannon: Histrionic guy who drinks a case of comtes in a week and wants to be your friend unless you criticize his patently insane TNs. Notes are as likely to be in Norse or Mandarin as English.

4) The Score Inflator: gives a middle of the road wine six consecutive 100 point scores with no note or justification and statistically changes a vintage of otherwise consistent rioja

5) The Score Deflator: lover of restrained wines that gives any otherwise critically acclaimed BDX 2009 or newer ratings in the 60-80 ballpark. But not just 70, 75, etc. Scores like 74 as though he’d had a 73 before but this Rolland popsicle was just a little bit better...

6) The Panther/Aesop: modern Napa cab lover who only speaks in sexual metaphors or maybe parables
Last edited by J.Vizuete on August 6th, 2019, 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
John V.

Joe W i n o g r a d

#3 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » December 10th, 2018, 9:18 pm

7) the serial offender - enters every bottle twice; same score for both but one has no note and the other has a note with three words or less

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by J.Vizuete » December 10th, 2018, 9:22 pm

8) The Grandparent - enters two different scores for the same wine on the same day. One note says “drank with Tom and Mildred”.
John V.

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Cris Whetstone » December 10th, 2018, 9:43 pm

The Swedes - Glancing in a half buzzed state you think you've seen someone going on an epic cuss laden rant. Nope. It's just in Swedish.

Uncle Chip - "Opened when Frank and Barb came to dinner Tuesday. Had meat loaf with creamed corn on the patio. Drinking well now!!!"

Endless Evidence Against Scoring Wines - "Glorious!!!": 91 Points
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Karl K

#6 Post by Karl K » December 10th, 2018, 9:59 pm

12) The type of CT user savvy enough to notice the resident archetypes and comment about them on a different wine board.
K a z a k s

Mattstolz

#7 Post by Mattstolz » December 11th, 2018, 3:30 am

J.Vizuete wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 8:34 pm

4) The Score Inflator: guy who gives a middle of the road wine six consecutive 100 point scores with no justification and inflates a single vintage of otherwise consistent rioja

5) The Score Deflator: lover of restrained wines that gives any otherwise critically acclaimed BDX 2009 or newer ratings in the 60-80 ballpark. But not just 70, 75, etc. Scores like 74 as though he’d a 73 before but this Rolland popsice was just a little bit better...
these two go hand in hand with

7) The Same Bottle Multi Scorer: note one: PnP with a little sulfur but otherwise great nose, 91pts. Note 2: same bottle as previous, three weeks after opening. disappointing! wine is dead now. 65pts.

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Henry Kiichli » December 11th, 2018, 3:44 am

(with a certain fondness)

The Kruger

Drank with Progresso soup with extra onion powder. Adequate acidity.
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Michael Martin » December 11th, 2018, 4:02 am

The “Label Chaser”. Person who paid a lot therefore the wine is a 95 even though it’s too young and in reality, just not that good.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 11th, 2018, 4:20 am

The "Doctor McCoy" - proclaims any wine more than 3 years old as past peak or dead.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

mike pobega

#11 Post by mike pobega » December 11th, 2018, 4:25 am

The 'unreasonable expectations user' who taste that fresh and bright Bien Nacido Pinot Noir a week after opening and destroys it in their note based on the oxidized fail.

JAKE H A N C O C K

#12 Post by JAKE H A N C O C K » December 11th, 2018, 6:26 am

The Influencer

Blows up the market on your favorite producers with several effusive tasting notes. Unclear if he is running a pump and dump or merely talking his book.

Gerhard P.

#13 Post by Gerhard P. » December 11th, 2018, 6:57 am

Conclusion: CT ratings are absolutely not reliable, especially mean ratings ...
Either you know the taster and his ability - or you are quite lost ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Brian Tuite » December 11th, 2018, 7:00 am

The Stalker - Friends you on CT, then on Delectable, then on Facebook... Comments on all your notes.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Brian Tuite » December 11th, 2018, 7:01 am

The Denier - Claims all CT scores are useless. ;-)

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by J.Vizuete » December 11th, 2018, 7:16 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 6:57 am
Not sure I agree with this. I often use CT as a decision making tool when shopping (online or otherwise). It's not foolproof, as there are plenty of good old wines with few ratings, but for me, if there are >20 scores and TNs that are saying roughly the same thing, I value that more highly than a single professional critic's assessment. It speaks to the question of variability, how likely is the bottle in front of me to be a good one as opposed to the pristine sample poured for a critic? And it also gives an idea of a wine's performance over time, equally valuable information. And it tells me what wines are of the love it or hate it variety.

I'm guilty of putting too much weight on CT scores when deciding what goes in or out of my cellar, but the handful of odd ducks on CT are far outweighed by the regular Joes that use it appropriately. Though I do wish there were a way to exclude scores from individual users deemed to be unhelpful.

Finally some of those notes with personality (looking at you CSIMM1161) have caused me to buy bottles I wouldn't have otherwise sought out. Just picturing <insert old female celebrity here> in <some sort of heeled shoe> toting a <military grade weapon of choice> opening an erect bottle of <insert mike smith wine here> has led me click "PLACE ORDER NOW!!" with palms a-sweating. I have yet to be disappointed.
John V.

rsmithjr

#17 Post by rsmithjr » December 11th, 2018, 7:21 am

CT Archetypes- The guy who is tired of all the pencil heads on WB who blow up our tasting notes and derides everyone on CT.

Seriously, this thread shows that SOME of you take yourselves way to seriously. Wine drinking is supposed to be fun.

CT is a guide, just as Winespectator or RP are,,,,,
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant'

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Michae1 P0wers » December 11th, 2018, 7:32 am

rsmithjr wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 7:21 am
CT Archetypes- The guy who is tired of all the pencil heads on WB who blow up our tasting notes and derides everyone on CT.

Seriously, this thread shows that SOME of you take yourselves way to seriously. Wine drinking is supposed to be fun.

I think you might have that backwards. Most of these posts are just jokes, some better than others. There's a lot of truth in them too though. After more than a decade of looking at CT notes daily, some of these "types" definitely emerge.

I suspect everyone who posted here gets that CT is just a guide, or they wouldn't use it enough to pick up on those types. That said, a note reading "drank with Tony" doesn't offer a hell of a lot of guidance,.

Personally I'm in the camp of: scores are completely useless, notes can be useful, notes from posters you know can be very useful.

rsmithjr

#19 Post by rsmithjr » December 11th, 2018, 7:39 am

Oh I get it. People who leave a score, no tasting note. It's just that I see more elitism on this website.
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant'

JAKE H A N C O C K

#20 Post by JAKE H A N C O C K » December 11th, 2018, 7:43 am

lol at “the Panther”

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Brian Tuite » December 11th, 2018, 7:51 am

rsmithjr wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 7:39 am
Oh I get it. People who leave a score, no tasting note. It's just that I see more elitism on this website.
Elitism or just plain good knowledge that can be intimidating/overwhelming?

2019 WOTY...

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Rich Brown » December 11th, 2018, 8:26 am

J.Vizuete wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 8:34 pm
3) The Loose Cannon: Histrionic guy who drinks a case of comtes in a week and wants to be your friend unless you criticize his patently insane TNs. Notes are as likely to be in Norse or Mandarin as English.

4) The Score Inflator: gives a middle of the road wine six consecutive 100 point scores with no note or justification and statistically changes a vintage of otherwise consistent rioja

5) The Score Deflator: lover of restrained wines that gives any otherwise critically acclaimed BDX 2009 or newer ratings in the 60-80 ballpark. But not just 70, 75, etc. Scores like 74 as though he’d a 73 before but this Rolland popsice was just a little bit better...

6) The Panther/Aesop: modern Napa cab lover who only speaks in sexual metaphors or maybe parables
Ha ha ha! I know exactly what you're talking about with #3. That was some of the best stuff I've ever seen on CT. Hoping he's better at playing piano than posting tasting notes and listening to reason (06 Comtes is old!?!?)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Neal.Mollen » December 11th, 2018, 8:36 am

J.Vizuete wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 7:16 am
Gerhard P. wrote:
Not sure I agree with this. I often use CT as a decision making tool when shopping (online or otherwise). It's not foolproof, as there are plenty of good old wines with few ratings, but for me, if there are >20 scores and TNs that are saying roughly the same thing, I value that more highly than a single professional critic's assessment. It speaks to the question of variability, how likely is the bottle in front of me to be a good one as opposed to the pristine sample poured for a critic? And it also gives an idea of a wine's performance over time, equally valuable information. And it tells me what wines are of the love it or hate it variety.

I'm guilty of putting too much weight on CT scores when deciding what goes in or out of my cellar, but the handful of odd ducks on CT are far outweighed by the regular Joes that use it appropriately. Though I do wish there were a way to exclude scores from individual users deemed to be unhelpful.

Finally some of those notes with personality (looking at you CSIMM1161) have caused me to buy bottles I wouldn't have otherwise sought out. Just picturing <insert old female celebrity here> in <some sort of heeled shoe> toting a <military grade weapon of choice> opening an erect bottle of <insert mike smith wine here> has led me click "PLACE ORDER NOW!!" with palms a-sweating. I have yet to be disappointed.
I'm with Gerhard. It's like using the Billboard Top 100 to pick music, or the internet's artistic values to pick a painting. By and large, the public doesn't know what the hell it is talking about, and my tastes most certainly do not line up with the vox populi. If I recognize a handle I can find something useful there but an opinion registered by wolfgang3645 means nothing to me. I don't like Kanye or most big box office comedy movies either

I admit however, that I do look at the notes when I am trying to decide whether a wine is "ready," but only because this board and CT are the most comprehensive available sources on older wines.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by J.Vizuete » December 11th, 2018, 9:11 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 8:36 am
J.Vizuete wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 7:16 am
Gerhard P. wrote:

I'm with Gerhard. It's like using the Billboard Top 100 to pick music, or the internet's artistic values to pick a painting. By and large, the public doesn't know what the hell it is talking about, and my tastes most certainly do not line up with the vox populi. If I recognize a handle I can find something useful there but an opinion registered by wolfgang3645 means nothing to me. I don't like Kanye or most big box office comedy movies either

I admit however, that I do look at the notes when I am trying to decide whether a wine is "ready," but only because this board and CT are the most comprehensive available sources on older wines.
I think that's fair if you know your preferences well enough. I'm still in a phase of learning where I value any decent information I can get about a wine before I try it. Here's an example - 2002 La Conseillante. There's a bottle on Winebid for $60. I think to myself, "that's a producer I'm eager to try, and with 16 years of age, not a bad price". I've had one or two right banks from the year which showed fine, so why not? But then I quickly check CT and notice that 20 ratings gave the wine an 88.7. Far below any other vintage in the last 25 years. I look at the notes (about half the scores have them) and find a consistent message of a lean, green wine that lacks complexity. The scores cluster around 87-90 with very few outliers. This information makes it an easy pass because I think $60 should be able to garner a wine that I'm likely to enjoy. For comparison's sake, I searched 2002 La Conseillante on WB and found crickets. I don't want to dig through a long thread that is generally about 2002 BDX given the alternative.

And it's a bit different than the Billboard analogy for a few reasons, namely that the ratings are input by individual users that have both the means and interest to do so, thus making up a <very> small proportion of the wine drinking populous. The data source is not remotely like what Bruno Mars song gets the most play by syndicated radio networks.
John V.

T Fletcher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by T Fletcher » December 11th, 2018, 9:12 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 7:00 am
The Stalker - Friends you on CT, then on Delectable, then on Facebook... Comments on all your notes.
Isn't this what social media is all about!? newhere

{Note to self: delete FB friend request to Brian}
Trent Fletcher
CT: tcufletch

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by J.Vizuete » December 11th, 2018, 9:21 am

Sorry for the thread drift
Thought of others:

The Muppet Swedish Chef - SWTISH RNDISH FRT with NICE pucker GRT! :)
The Zen Master: "This ethereal, otherworldly wine evokes deep visceral sensations and awakens one's inner being. Its soul crushing energy lifts this spirit to a place of pure nirvana"
John V.

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Jason T » December 11th, 2018, 9:25 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 7:51 am
rsmithjr wrote:
Elitism or just plain good knowledge that can be intimidating/overwhelming?
I think these archetypes are dead-on and hilarious. I derive the same value that John does in referencing CT notes, however remain exasperated at some of the notes on their - called out by the archetypes mentioned in this thread. I don’t see it as elitism - it’s more like poking a bit of fun and blowing off some steam.
J@son Tr@ughber

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Charlie Carnes » December 11th, 2018, 9:34 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
100% agree.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Viet Ly
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Viet Ly » December 11th, 2018, 9:46 am

T Fletcher wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 9:12 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 7:00 am
Isn't this what social media is all about!? newhere

{Note to self: delete FB friend request to Brian}
[snort.gif]

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Charlie Carnes » December 11th, 2018, 9:47 am

J.Vizuete wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 9:11 am

I think that's fair if you know your preferences well enough. I'm still in a phase of learning where I value any decent information I can get about a wine before I try it.
Lucky for you, this can be easily "tested". Buy the wine, try it, your palate will line up rather quickly. Plus, buying a wine with your hard earned dollars, and then drinking it, is a sure way to learn about it rather quickly. The pocketbook experience doesn't lie...

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Neal.Mollen » December 11th, 2018, 9:51 am

J.Vizuete wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 9:11 am
I think that's fair if you know your preferences well enough. I'm still in a phase of learning where I value any decent information I can get about a wine before I try it. Here's an example - 2002 La Conseillante. There's a bottle on Winebid for $60. I think to myself, "that's a producer I'm eager to try, and with 16 years of age, not a bad price". I've had one or two right banks from the year which showed fine, so why not? But then I quickly check CT and notice that 20 ratings gave the wine an 88.7. Far below any other vintage in the last 25 years. I look at the notes (about half the scores have them) and find a consistent message of a lean, green wine that lacks complexity. The scores cluster around 87-90 with very few outliers. This information makes it an easy pass because I think $60 should be able to garner a wine that I'm likely to enjoy. For comparison's sake, I searched 2002 La Conseillante on WB and found crickets. I don't want to dig through a long thread that is generally about 2002 BDX given the alternative.

And it's a bit different than the Billboard analogy for a few reasons, namely that the ratings are input by individual users that have both the means and interest to do so, thus making up a <very> small proportion of the wine drinking populous. The data source is not remotely like what Bruno Mars song gets the most play by syndicated radio networks.
By all means, use the tool if you find it helpful but I would post a thread here asking for experience with the wine if it were me. I'd also take a chance on a $60 bottle of Conseillante pretty much without further inquiry. The fact that someone on CT got a touch of green or thought it "meager" might mean a lot if I knew who the taster was, but if he or she (or they) were huge CA syrah/Napa cab drinkers I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I don't use yelp and don't rely on crowd sourced reviews on rotten tomatoes so it isn't a surprise that I don't find a lot of enlightenment in the scores on CT.
Last edited by Neal.Mollen on December 11th, 2018, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 11th, 2018, 9:52 am

J.Vizuete wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 9:21 am
The Zen Master: "This ethereal, otherworldly wine evokes deep visceral sensations and awakens one's inner being. Its soul crushing energy lifts this spirit to a place of pure nirvana"
That's not Zen, that's contradiction!
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by J.Vizuete » December 11th, 2018, 9:55 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 9:52 am
J.Vizuete wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 9:21 am
That's not Zen, that's contradiction!
It doesn't have to make sense to be penned! (As we have learned well from the thread on professional critics' redundancies)
Or to be zenned!
John V.

John Danza

#34 Post by John Danza » December 11th, 2018, 10:45 am

rsmithjr wrote:
Jeez, I hate that too! I don't care about points. Tell me what the wine tastes like!

I don't know how to categorize this next type. I had a person want to friend me last week. According to CT, he had been a member for nine years, yet had no wines in inventory nor any tasting notes. I took a pass. [scratch.gif]
John Danza

Mattstolz

#35 Post by Mattstolz » December 11th, 2018, 11:36 am

rsmithjr wrote:

its ironic that you claim the site is taking things way too seriously by completely missing the fact that this thread is lighthearted and taking it too seriously.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by J a y H a c k » December 11th, 2018, 11:46 am

rsmithjr wrote:

The guy who has nothing better to do than to complain so he complains about other people, complains about wine, complains about wine glasses and most of all complains about social media posts of other people instead of adding anything of value all by himself.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Eric Guido
Contributor
Contributor

#37 Post by Eric Guido » December 11th, 2018, 12:09 pm

The "Baby Killer" - Guy who opens bottles of Barolo and Barbaresco way to young and then calls them over the hill, light or too astringent. Followed by a low score.

As for scoring. I'm in the camp of wanting people to score. Half the time I can't tell if someone really liked a wine by their tasting note. Or, when someone tastes a few bottles next to each other, they may have all be "good", but which was the best? Scores help, IMHO.
ITB -- Morrell Wine Group

cjsadler

#38 Post by cjsadler » December 11th, 2018, 12:36 pm

The Clueless Technicalist: "LEGS SLOW, COLOR dark, Body: HIGH, 89 Points"
Chris Sadler

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by J.Vizuete » December 11th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Eric Guido wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 12:09 pm
The "Baby Killer" - Guy who opens bottles of Barolo and Barbaresco way to young and then calls them over the hill, light or too astringent. Followed by a low score.
I’ve been guilty of this before
John V.

Eric Guido
Contributor
Contributor

#40 Post by Eric Guido » December 11th, 2018, 1:02 pm

J.Vizuete wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 12:40 pm
Eric Guido wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 12:09 pm
I’ve been guilty of this before
I'm sure I've been guilty of downing plenty of wines that I didn't fully understand as well. It's just a learning process, right?
ITB -- Morrell Wine Group

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » December 11th, 2018, 1:03 pm

THE *SSHOLE: You know who you are (but you probably drink only Burgundy).
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » December 11th, 2018, 1:09 pm

THE GUY WITH A JOB: He has to work for a living, so he doesn't have time to write tasting notes neener
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Charlie Carnes » December 11th, 2018, 1:43 pm

rsmithjr wrote:
It's just that I see more elitism on this website.
Most are just funning a little. To be sure, I have committed mant of these CT faux pas, especially in the past. I have waxed rhapsodic, been verbose, been sanguine, used the word unctuous (see it enough it becomes part of your lexicon- I wish I could take it back anyway). I have used both first and third person in the same note, while possibly changing tenses. Sometimes I use masculine and feminine terms, olde English, maybe even a little German, or French. I get a little poetic at times, although, I have never used soliloquy, or iambic pentamiter, but I have concidered Haiku. Thank gosh I have never been glib... I have used lieu-dit improperly, which sends a red alert instantly to all Burg heads, who correct at light speed. My list goes on and on...

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by J.Vizuete » December 11th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 1:43 pm
rsmithjr wrote:
Most are just funning a little. To be sure, I have committed many of these CT faux pas, especially in the past. I have waxed rhapsodic, been verbose, been sanguine, used the word unctuous (see it enough it becomes part of your lexicon- I wish I could take it back anyway). I have used both first and third person in the same note, while possibly changing tenses. Sometimes I use masculine and feminine terms, olde English, maybe even a little German, or French. I get a little poetic at times, although, I have never used soliloquy, or iambic pentamiter, but I have concidered Haiku. Thank gosh I have never been glib... I have used lieu-dit improperly, which sends a red alert instantly to all Burg heads, who correct at light speed. My list goes on and on...
lol, good stuff here.
John V.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Michael Martin » December 11th, 2018, 1:49 pm

The "comment bully." Need I say more.

Jayson Cohen

#46 Post by Jayson Cohen » December 11th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 1:43 pm
rsmithjr wrote:
Most are just funning a little. To be sure, I have committed mant of these CT faux pas, especially in the past. I have waxed rhapsodic, been verbose, been sanguine, used the word unctuous (see it enough it becomes part of your lexicon- I wish I could take it back anyway). I have used both first and third person in the same note, while possibly changing tenses. Sometimes I use masculine and feminine terms, olde English, maybe even a little German, or French. I get a little poetic at times, although, I have never used soliloquy, or iambic pentamiter, but I have concidered Haiku. Thank gosh I have never been glib... I have used lieu-dit improperly, which sends a red alert instantly to all Burg heads, who correct at light speed. My list goes on and on...
Ode to Charlie:

The truth comes out now
Charlie is human no doubt
Cheers to you Charlie

Best I could do in 60 seconds.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Chris Seiber » December 11th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Score/Note Disconnect Guy. "Fairly thin red fruit, adequate acidity, lacking the power and complexity I was expecting but a decent match with roasted chicken. 94 points."

Humble Brag Guy. "2000 Haut Brion. Went all in for four cases en primeur, so I figured a Tuesday night was a good time to crack open one of the OWCs and see how the wines are progressing at this point."

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Charlie Carnes » December 11th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Nice Jayson!

Chris- kinda like your Score/Note Disconnect Guy. The Nose Knows No Flaws Guy. "Wet cardboard, mildewed rope, no fruit and a metallic finish. 82 points

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by dsimmons » December 11th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Duh - What's a flaw - This wine is nasty and undrinkable, tastes like musty cardboard. 60 pts

The score bone not connected to the note bone - This wine was the worst bottle of Zin I ever drank. Over the top alcohol obscured everything. 90pts
D o n

Rauno E (NZ)

#50 Post by Rauno E (NZ) » December 11th, 2018, 3:09 pm

The critic critic: "I can see why [insert name of critic] gave this a 96, but for me it's really more of a 95"
Rauno Engel

Return to “Wine Talk”