Christmas Wine

Need help picking out a bottle for this holiday dinner (standing rib roast) and thought I would pick your brains:
Has to be:
Red
Under $500
Thoughts? newhere

13 Macdonald

Red
Under $500

I guess we live in different worlds! That would cover 99.99 percent of the wine in the world. I’d go with Vega Sicilia Unico, Chave Hermitage, or maybe seven bottles of Cathy Corison’s Cab.

Second the motion for Chave Hermitage.

I’m Sorry, I forgot to say 2 bottles. I was looking at an auction for 2013 Dominus Napa Valley Bordeaux Blend, 2010 Scarecrow “M. Étain” Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (OWC) or 2008 Quilceda Creek Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. However, I am open to all suggestions. These are just one’s I’ve never tried before.

Same deal, different vintages…Pontet Canet 2003 and Chave Hermitage 2006.

1991_togni.png

Red label Giacosa

Fine choice, but depends on the vintage!
Big mistake to open a Chave H. too early.

However 100s of other possibilities …

A fine mature CdP (why not Rayas if you´d like to spend 500,- ) or a Richebourg ?

Depends what’s on the menu… what are your customary dishes?

$500/btl or $500 total?

For a standing rib roast, at <$250/btl I’d go with 1986 Talbot. Chave is a great recommendation but the ones with enough age are over budget.

If you’re set on New World, I would look at Ridge Monte Bello or Montelena Estate Cab from 1991, 1992, or 1994.

Total.

Then the Ridge MB I added in my edit above is too pricey, but the Montelena Estate would work. They’re on the Bordeaux-ish side of Napa. For more modern Napa consider Shafer Hillside Select.

I’ve been bidding on a 92 ridge mb, it’s at $300. Any thoughts on what it would be a reasonable price to buy it at?

How about mulling some Mouton? Or you could get a bottle of Forman Cab and save $400.

I’ll have to plead ignorance as to a good price on a 92 Ridge MB in today’s market. From one perspective if your budget is $250, anything above that is unreasonable. But as far as a “fair price” you can check Wine Searcher Pro and search recent hammer prices at the major auction sites for a pretty good sense of the market.

Young but 2005, 2009 and 2010 Pontet-Canet Vertical for $562 at JJBuckley. I would open a day ahead of time.

That '91 Togni is a great suggestion. Wonderful wine. [cheers.gif]

2 Mags of 2014 Drinkward Peschon Cab $360.00 Total at the winery.

I don’t see where you can buy on the website. It says no allocation.