TN: 2008 EMH ‘Black Cat’ Cabernet Sauvignon

Gave this 3 hrs in the decanter, by which point it was open for business. As usual with EMH wines, this bottle was all about balance and a sense of finesse. The mature red fruit, at age 10, was an equal partner with the rounded tannins and supporting acidity that kept the package together and contributed to the long, clean finish. No tertiary notes just yet. This still appears to have several years of fine drinking ahead. (92 pts.)

9FB598C6-8B77-45AB-98FB-53CF6058425B.jpeg

Nice!

This was such a good vintage for Black Cat. Sadly my last bottle is long gone, but this inspires me to crack open a ‘10 and see how that vintage is doing.

Wonder how it compares to 09

My 08 has been gone for a while as well. The 2006 was my favorite and the 2008 was a not too distant second. I am trying to wait patiently for the 10’s and beyond.

It’s been a while since I’ve had both Michael, and they’re both excellent. But I see the '09 as a little silkier and fruitier, with the '08 more powerful and darker. But even so, more similar than different. I adore both these wines.

I really wish these were in my price range for buying. Would love to see how the older ones do.

Brandon - I am the grower and producer of these wines. I understand that $95 and up (including shipping) is out the price range for some people’s comfort. For a single vineyard Cabernet at fewer than 200 cases annually, from some of the best vineyard land in Napa County, the price is actually reasonable. Affordability is a different issue, and I hear you.

My first vintage was 2000, and 2 years ago it was performing very well. I own exactly one bottle! The 2001 is one of my two top vintages, in my opinion (2009 is the other, so far). I and others have had all of these within the last year, and nothing is falling off the cliff.

I have not settled on an offering for BerserkerDay on January 27, but there will be something there that might fall in your price range - without knowing what that is!

I agree with Mr. Frankel’s assessment.

Given this note, I had a good reason to open it, so we put down our 2008 Black Cat last night.

It was delicious.

Velvety structure, still with some hints of ‘primary’ fruit. I think cassis is accurate. But over-all, evolved/developed flavors predominate vs. straight up fruit, with complex ‘black fruit,’ and small inner hints of dark dark not sweet cherry (I mean that as a good thing.)

Matched well with grilled rack of lamb (no seasoning other than a pinch of salt before hitting the Weber. With the lid on and vents open, 7-8 minutes per side for medium rare) and spaghetti noodles with only butter and pulverized fresh Manchego cheese from the pulverizing kitchen appliance thing.

The wine stood up to the food, and vice versa, really an accomplished wine. At this age, I think it does give you a good idea of that good soil Merrill has!

Lingering soft finish on the top of the soft palate.

When my wife took her first whiff, she said even the nose of the wine made her start to salivate. Right up her alley. (Spottswoode is her favorite Cali cab.) It’s an alluring voluptuous wine and is approachable, right now!

My son is 21 and has an acute palate, he gives thumbs up! (He thought maybe some very ripe pomegranate as an initial fruit note.)

We compared with a 2003 Groth Reserve. The Groth had more ‘masculine’ structure, still ample tannins, green pepper, excellent secondary fruit, and a solid cocoa finish, with reasonably similar midrange when paired with the EMH wine. It had a looong finish at the back of the palate, rear pharynx, even a little past the swallowing zone.

The two wines played together well and we could easily slip back and forth.

After food, we sipped these two fine wines and watched Ila Shlesinger’s “Elder Millennial” show and I thought she was brilliant. It was a bit like a long funny TED talk. I had never seen her before and I came away impressed.

Thanks, Anton. That is one of my “bigger” wines, along with the 2010, that just “happen” vintage to vintage.

If you have a 2014 Special Selection, don’t be afraid to open it. One of my and my friends’ current favorites (yes Mr. Frankel, so young).

It’s not fear Merrill, it’s preference. Or maybe love? I’m just nipping into my ‘10s and ‘11s in the next year. ‘14 - Special Selection or otherwise - is going to be at least a few years off :slight_smile:.

As long as you enjoy it, it is your decision. I just don’t feel that the vintage and the drinking date always coincide. But as my wine mentor told me when I started the commercial part of this venture: “Merrill, once it leaves your hands, anyone is free to open it and comment on it.” I learned that!

Had a 2013 tonight. Shut down cold. 3 hr decant later some fruit started to show. I would hard hold this.

Don’t drink much Napa these days but emh is still reliably good.

We had a 2013 tonight and it was lovely … gave it a few hours air and then loved it. I’m holding my other bottle but the wine tonight felt superbly balanced and subtle. My chef son in law said that if he was putting together a wine list for a restaurant he consulted with, he’d want this on it. Now I’ll be patient before opening again.

Dang. Maybe it’s bottle variation. :frowning:.

I am not the most experienced taster Mark so it could be me but it sure was delicious for us. Happily we both have some to hold and taste in the future!

I used the N’Easter for a purrrring treat. Been a while since I visited the '08, and this bottle was in line of the wonderful classics EMH. Does not seem to fade anytime soon

• 2008 EMH Cabernet Sauvignon Black Cat (12/16/2020)
    First of all, It’s been a while, and a long dinner at home during a n’easter was a great time to park on '08 EMH. Great nose from PnP. In fact, I enjoyed alot eveb with my tasting from PnP. Great dark ruby color, hardly any sediments, longer finish than I recall in previous bottles. I would say it is certainly more ‘bold’/‘dark’ compare with the 2009 (for example), but it is still very very rich in its fruit and earth balance (on a scale, I would say '07 more ‘bold’ than '08, and '08 more ‘bold’ than '09). The cassis and black fruits remain dominant , an excellent fit for black cat. Nice peppers evolve on the nose as the evening progressed, little more leather. The floral remain on the nose for several hours. I still recommend decanting, but even decanting throughout the meal is helpful. Enjoyed over 3 hours or so. About a glass left for today. Splendid. Treat yourself to a glass of well aged cab. (94 pts.)

Well, 2006 here last weekend: silky, sinuous, still in good form, excellent balance. It was the most commented on of the night. Easily a decade to go.

We opened a 2001 Black Cat last night, and I was so pleased to see its youthfulness. It is a completely integrated wine right now. Plenty of raspberry fruit, sous bois, baking spice. Very full on the mid-palate, and a long finish. This wine saw no new oak (just neutral French oak). One of the 2 top wines I have produced (the other being the 2009 Special Selection).