TN: 2016 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre Skinner White Oak Flats Vineyard

Checked in on this one form D&R last night.

• 2016 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre Skinner White Oak Flats Vineyard - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, El Dorado County (12/10/2018)
    A pretty young Mourvedre that shows a translucent light red in glass. Beautiful coloring. Red berry and floral notes, hints of musk and a light berry fruit and herbal palate. Not especially complicated right now, lacks the complexity of Skinner Stoney Creek. Easy to drink with a bit of air and puts a smile on my face on a cold night. I think you can be drinking these now.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Thanks Dennis!
I had a 14-16 open side by side for production crew from Skinner a few weeks ago. I agree- I found the '16 of this pretty straightforward-- open, charming, and polished in texture- while the '14 was the wowza of the lineup. After a few days, the '16 kept on keeping on, and was my fav. of the lot (though it amplified, it stayed a down the line wine).

For me, the sleeper from this vineyard is the '13 Skinner White Oak Flats. Tight, lean, bright, and loosening up very little on a day 1 decant. By day 3, it starts to comes alive, becomes panoramic, and makes me wonder why the *** I opened it. :wink: (well, for science)
It might outlive us all…

Been eyeing my mag of 2014 for a holiday party…

Hardy- Thanks for the input! Hope you and the fam are well.
Wish I still had some '14.

This sounds like a plan…Let us know how that shows.

I think that is a good choice. The 2014 White Oak Flats in 750s is shining right now. It could continue to improve, but it is giving so much right now that it will hopefully make folks really happy.

Slight thread drift but whilst your here Hardy - I ordered a 2014 Evangelho mag which I received today - intention is for Christmas day. Do you think it’s too young still?

Thank you!
It will be fun and delicious. Yes, it will still be layered with some primary baby fat, and it is probably a long way from peaking, but with heavier / richer holiday dishes, it should be great. I’d give it about 90min-2hrs in the decanter.

Also, the '14 Evangelho profile comes across riper than the other D&R wines you may have had- this leans more plum vs. strawberry / cranberry.

I hope that helps! Thanks for the order!
Cheers,
Hardy