Zalto Question (Again)

If you could only purchased one style of Zalto glasses (Universal, Bordeaux, or Burgundy) to use on a daily basis to drink a variety of reds, which would you suggest? I drink mostly Grenache/Syrah, Pinot noir, then cab based wines. I do have a set of Riedal burgundy stems.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I’d do the Bordeaux. I wasn’t really expecting to love them, but they they are the glass I reach for more than any other.

Universal.

I have sets of all 3 but end up using the universal the majority of the time.

Universal. No question. We use it for everything pretty much.

I’m with Lee here, the Bordeaux is the most versatile Zalto glass, even though I use the Universal quite a lot too.

Peter

Of course I have to offer a third opinion. We use the burg for everything. They really help show any flaws in the wine. Although, maybe that’s not a plus…

I’d go with the Bordeaux if you can only choose one glass. It’s more “universal” than their Universal, still big enough for use with pinot/burgundy, and is also the easiest to clean among the three.

Agree, especially since you already have the Riedel Burg glasses. That said, i own all three and LOVE the Zalto Burg glasses for PN.

I’d vote for the burg glass. Elegant, fantastic lines, and it is the first glass I reach for.

The Universal was my go to for several years before I discovered the GGG.

I’d go for the Bordeaux. Have the Burg, Universal, and Bordeaux and find the Bordeaux to be the most versatile.

I’d also go for the Bordeaux, were you only to get one. However I think the Burgundy is the better glass, albeit less versatile.

Which one is more lighter and which more sturdy?

The ggg is lighter; I feel like the Zalto is a bit more sturdy and has better hand feel at least for me.

If you’re looking for light and sturdy you should consider the Gabriel Glas Gold, which is lighter than and very similar shape to the Zalto Universal. The GG Gold is ~85 grams, the Zalto Universal is ~115 grams (but see Alan’s post below). The GG Gold is more sturdy despite being lighter, based on comments of folks that have banged both around. They’re both lead free glass…haven’t seen anyone say what they’re made of tho.

On the shape, I prefer the universal style.

I’ve never used the GG before, but it is amazing to hear people talk about it being lighter than the Zalto, which, to me, is virtually weightless and even too much so if anything. A glass this light is a tipping risk. Don’t get me wrong; I love them and use them constantly (and have broken only one, in a mysterious way that I still don’t understand). I’d say I would not want a glass that is lighter, and surely would not count that as a benefit to be sought.

I have the bdx Zalto and never use it. The bowl is just bigger than I want or need. To each his own

Because I want to control as many variables as possible I only use one type of stem for all of my professional tastings in my office, and when winemakers meet with me when I travel. I asked Emily at Winemonger if the Zalto Universal was the right one. Instead she recommended the Bordeaux, and I can’t say I am disappointed. Neither are the winemakers who sit across from me tasting out of one.

Neal, while the GGG is a little lighter than a Zalto Universal, I also find it noticeably more stable.

The GGG is lighter and for whatever reason less prone to breakage. In side by side tasting I prefer the GGG. I have also had numerous friends ask me where they can purchase them and most are not wine geeks.

GGG universal here as well