Zalto Question (Again)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Doug Uno

Zalto Question (Again)

#1 Post by Doug Uno » December 9th, 2018, 1:11 pm

If you could only purchased one style of Zalto glasses (Universal, Bordeaux, or Burgundy) to use on a daily basis to drink a variety of reds, which would you suggest? I drink mostly Grenache/Syrah, Pinot noir, then cab based wines. I do have a set of Riedal burgundy stems.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Lee Short

Re: Zalto Question (Again)

#2 Post by Lee Short » December 9th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Doug Uno wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 1:11 pm
If you could only purchased one style of Zalto glasses (Universal, Bordeaux, or Burgundy) to use on a daily basis to drink a variety of reds, which would you suggest? I drink mostly Grenache/Syrah, Pinot noir, then cab based wines. I do have a set of Riedal burgundy stems.

I'd do the Bordeaux. I wasn't really expecting to love them, but they they are the glass I reach for more than any other.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 9th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Universal.

I have sets of all 3 but end up using the universal the majority of the time.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Neal.Mollen » December 9th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Universal. No question. We use it for everything pretty much.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

P.Sunesen

#5 Post by P.Sunesen » December 9th, 2018, 1:31 pm

I'm with Lee here, the Bordeaux is the most versatile Zalto glass, even though I use the Universal quite a lot too.

Peter

Brian Hostetler

#6 Post by Brian Hostetler » December 9th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Of course I have to offer a third opinion. We use the burg for everything. They really help show any flaws in the wine. Although, maybe that’s not a plus....

Justin S

#7 Post by Justin S » December 9th, 2018, 1:45 pm

I'd go with the Bordeaux if you can only choose one glass. It's more "universal" than their Universal, still big enough for use with pinot/burgundy, and is also the easiest to clean among the three.
$ ! n g h

Eric S n y d e r

#8 Post by Eric S n y d e r » December 9th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Justin S wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 1:45 pm
I'd go with the Bordeaux if you can only choose one glass. It's more "universal" than their Universal, still big enough for use with pinot/burgundy, and is also the easiest to clean among the three.
Agree, especially since you already have the Riedel Burg glasses. That said, i own all three and LOVE the Zalto Burg glasses for PN.

Philip Laub
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Philip Laub » December 9th, 2018, 2:03 pm

I'd vote for the burg glass. Elegant, fantastic lines, and it is the first glass I reach for.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Russ Williams » December 9th, 2018, 5:19 pm

The Universal was my go to for several years before I discovered the GGG.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

Hunter Landrum

#11 Post by Hunter Landrum » December 9th, 2018, 6:12 pm

I'd go for the Bordeaux. Have the Burg, Universal, and Bordeaux and find the Bordeaux to be the most versatile.

Robert Love
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Robert Love » December 10th, 2018, 8:14 am

I'd also go for the Bordeaux, were you only to get one. However I think the Burgundy is the better glass, albeit less versatile.

YLee

#13 Post by YLee » December 10th, 2018, 10:18 am

Russ Williams wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 5:19 pm
The Universal was my go to for several years before I discovered the GGG.
Which one is more lighter and which more sturdy?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 10th, 2018, 10:48 am

The ggg is lighter; I feel like the Zalto is a bit more sturdy and has better hand feel at least for me.

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#15 Post by Eric Lundblad » December 10th, 2018, 10:58 am

If you're looking for light and sturdy you should consider the Gabriel Glas Gold, which is lighter than and very similar shape to the Zalto Universal. The GG Gold is ~85 grams, the Zalto Universal is ~115 grams (but see Alan's post below). The GG Gold is more sturdy despite being lighter, based on comments of folks that have banged both around. They're both lead free glass...haven't seen anyone say what they're made of tho.

On the shape, I prefer the universal style.
Last edited by Eric Lundblad on December 14th, 2018, 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Neal.Mollen » December 10th, 2018, 11:05 am

I've never used the GG before, but it is amazing to hear people talk about it being lighter than the Zalto, which, to me, is virtually weightless and even too much so if anything. A glass this light is a tipping risk. Don't get me wrong; I love them and use them constantly (and have broken only one, in a mysterious way that I still don't understand). I'd say I would not want a glass that is lighter, and surely would not count that as a benefit to be sought.

I have the bdx Zalto and never use it. The bowl is just bigger than I want or need. To each his own
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

dougwilder

#17 Post by dougwilder » December 10th, 2018, 11:09 am

Because I want to control as many variables as possible I only use one type of stem for all of my professional tastings in my office, and when winemakers meet with me when I travel. I asked Emily at Winemonger if the Zalto Universal was the right one. Instead she recommended the Bordeaux, and I can't say I am disappointed. Neither are the winemakers who sit across from me tasting out of one.
itb

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Mike Evans » December 10th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 11:05 am
I've never used the GG before, but it is amazing to hear people talk about it being lighter than the Zalto, which, to me, is virtually weightless and even too much so if anything. A glass this light is a tipping risk. Don't get me wrong; I love them and use them constantly (and have broken only one, in a mysterious way that I still don't understand). I'd say I would not want a glass that is lighter, and surely would not count that as a benefit to be sought.

I have the bdx Zalto and never use it. The bowl is just bigger than I want or need. To each his own
Neal, while the GGG is a little lighter than a Zalto Universal, I also find it noticeably more stable.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Russ Williams » December 10th, 2018, 4:25 pm

The GGG is lighter and for whatever reason less prone to breakage. In side by side tasting I prefer the GGG. I have also had numerous friends ask me where they can purchase them and most are not wine geeks.

jhemming

#20 Post by jhemming » December 10th, 2018, 5:47 pm

GGG universal here as well
Jason Hemming
Boston, MA

Jayson Cohen

#21 Post by Jayson Cohen » December 10th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Russ Williams wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 4:25 pm
The GGG is lighter and for whatever reason less prone to breakage. In side by side tasting I prefer the GGG. I have also had numerous friends ask me where they can purchase them and most are not wine geeks.
I knocked one over yesterday. Not for the first time. No problem. They seem delicate but are surprisingly resilient. Very happy with mine.

Tom K.
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#22 Post by Tom K. » December 10th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Lee Short wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 1:19 pm
Doug Uno wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 1:11 pm

I'd do the Bordeaux. I wasn't really expecting to love them, but they they are the glass I reach for more than any other.
+1
Tom Kobylarz
Wine Solutions

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by PaulMills » December 10th, 2018, 7:02 pm

I have the Bordeaux and Universals. I almost always use the Bordeaux for white and red.

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by J.Vizuete » December 10th, 2018, 8:52 pm

Does anyone else find the GG bowl a bit too small? I just need more than 16 oz to get the aromas going. Admittedly, zalto burgs are huge and thus good primarily for detecting aromatic subtlety. I’ve used zalto universal a number of times and liked them. Similar to Neal, I can’t imagine how one would want anything lighter, but I think its bowl is over 20 oz.
Last edited by J.Vizuete on December 11th, 2018, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
John V.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by David Glasser » December 11th, 2018, 7:33 am

Universal.

Use your Riedel Burgs for Pinot and the Zalto Universals for everything else, including Champagne.

Pat Martin

#26 Post by Pat Martin » December 11th, 2018, 10:33 am

Love the zalto Bordeaux for all reds.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by alan weinberg » December 14th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Eric Lundblad wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 10:58 am
If you're looking for light and sturdy you should consider the Gabriel Glas Gold, which is lighter than and very similar shape to the Zalto Universal. The GG Gold is 95 grams, the Zalto Universal is 100 grams. The GG Gold is more sturdy despite being lighter, based on comments of folks that have banged both around. They're both lead free glass...haven't seen anyone say what they're made of tho.

On the shape, I prefer the universal style.
my Zalto Universal weighs 113 gm, my Gabriel gold 85.5 gm.

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#28 Post by Eric Lundblad » December 14th, 2018, 11:36 pm

Thanks for the correction Alan! Do you agree that the GG Gold is sturdier than the Zalto?
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

YLee

#29 Post by YLee » December 15th, 2018, 2:39 am

J.Vizuete wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 8:52 pm
Does anyone else find the GG bowl a bit too small? I just need more than 16 oz to get the aromas going. Admittedly, zalto burgs are huge and thus good primarily for detecting aromatic subtlety. I’ve used zalto universal a number of times and liked them. Similar to Neal, I can’t imagine how one would want anything lighter, but I think its bowl is over 20 oz.
The GGG is 16oz. And Zalto Uni is 18oz.
The Zalto Uni's bowl is slightly longer. That's where the extra 2oz. comes from. My thinking is since nobody is going to fill the bowl full, it should be the same or similar amount of wine poured into the glass.

I went with the GGG because it allows my nose to be closer to the wine (since shorter bowl length) when smelling and drinking so I can get more of the fragrance.
Also, I was able to get 12 GGG for almost the same price of 6 Zalto Uni.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by alan weinberg » December 16th, 2018, 8:08 am

Eric Lundblad wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 11:36 pm
Thanks for the correction Alan! Do you agree that the GG Gold is sturdier than the Zalto?
I am not sure yet—fortunately haven’t broken any. But Riedels break.

Nathan V.

#31 Post by Nathan V. » December 16th, 2018, 9:03 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 6:16 pm
Russ Williams wrote:
I knocked one over yesterday. Not for the first time. No problem. They seem delicate but are surprisingly resilient. Very happy with mine.
I like the Zalto bdx for almost eveything; however, I was thinking of replacing my white/champagne glasses (although for most whites I use the Zalto bdx) with GGG. What do you think of that strategy?
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 16th, 2018, 9:07 am

Seems like a good choice.

Jayson Cohen

#33 Post by Jayson Cohen » December 16th, 2018, 9:29 am

Nathan V. wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 9:03 am
Jayson Cohen wrote:
Russ Williams wrote:
I like the Zalto bdx for almost eveything; however, I was thinking of replacing my white/champagne glasses (although for most whites I use the Zalto bdx) with GGG. What do you think of that strategy?
I’m happy with how whites and Champagne show in GGG but I can’t claim to have done an extensive side by side with the other lead candidates.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Russ Williams » December 16th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 9:03 am
Jayson Cohen wrote:
Russ Williams wrote:
Great strategy, but once you get some try them with different reds and let us know what you think.

Return to “Wine Talk”