How many bottles when purchasing? (with poll)

Typically, how many bottles do you purchase when buying a wine?

• 1 bottle
  • 2 bottles
  • 3 bottles
  • 4 bottles
  • Half case
  • Full case
  • None of the above

0 voters

Realizing there are lots of factors that come into play (budget, availability, etc.), is there a standard number of bottles you purchase when picking up a new wine? For years I’ve gone with 3 bottles - the old saying of try one now, one middle aged, and one to lay down. I’ve thought about downshifting to just two bottles, particularly for new wines - reduces my risk of a dud by a third, but with the disadvantage of just having one more bottle if it’s a gem. Keep in mind I’m asking about specific wines, not at the producer level. E.g. purchasing a case of Bedrock, but with 6 different wines (answer would be 2 bottles). Discuss!
champagne.gif

if budget permitted id do two. but at this point one is typically my limit for most stuff I buy.

Age is the big factor. When I started buying wine seriously, about 40 years ago, I bought in case quantities. About 15 years ago, I started to question if I needed a case of Dunn Howell Mtn and a case of Dunn Napa each year. The 2013 Ridge Monte Bello was the last I bought by the case and I reduced my future orders to 6 bottles (plus a magnum - just in case I do live forever :slight_smile:. Now, most purchases are in the 3 or 4 bottle range. I prefer 4, but sometimes that’s not an option.

Flawed poll. neener pileon

I tend to go for 3 typically now, sometimes 4, for new releases (used to be 2 or even 1 in the early years - a mistake I learned from) and 1-2 for older wines. So how do I answer the poll?

I am a big fan of buying in case quantities. It took me a while to get here, I admit, and the fact my husband has been doing it for years, leading to a terrific and deep cellar, is a big part of that (“Oh my God, you mean we have 11 more of these?!?”). When I was exploring more, it didn’t make so much sense. Now that I know what I like, I buy more of fewer things. I get more pleasure following a wine’s evolution over years than I do trying a bunch of unknowns. Of course, not all the wines I like can I afford by the case, so that’s also a factor. And not all are always available in case quantities, either. But base 12 is our default if we know we like it, can afford it and can get it, so that’s what I voted.

My purchase strategy varies too much. Anywhere from 3 to 12. Not sure how to answer the poll so I will go with 6.

I usually try to buy 3 when the cost is below $60. After that, 1 or two. But there are always exceptions!

I typically go with three when trying something new. I think it carried over from doing the same with good whiskey.

I get bored with 12 of anything…diversity is my mantra, so I’ll typically buy 3’s.

If it’s a first time purchase, 1 bottle to try.
If a producer I like and a new vintage, 2-4 depending on price. I see no reason to buy-more-and-more of a wine when every year is another vintage with another one around the corner.

Usually 3 or 4 for things I like. 1 to try for the first time, 2 if I’ve had it, like it, but not sure about the long term. Or perhaps something different.

@Scott - those cases of Dunn will be great :slight_smile:.

I usually buy a minimum of 3 if I like it enough to buy it. Gives me a chance to evaluate the wine further over multiple settings. If I really like the wine then I will go in for a case, similar to what Sarah outlined above.

As I buy many old wines, it is generally one by one.

I used to do 3, sometimes 4. Nowadays I do 2 as it has diversified my cellar.

As you say, lots of variables and lots of variation. It’s been as high as 23, but I answered 1, because I am a vinous magpie at heart, enjoying trying lots of different wines, so multiples are only really where I’m convinced I’d love the wine e.g. a combination of one or more of wine appellation / producer / grape / style that I’ve tried before and enjoyed, or very occasionally where TNs I’ve read shout out that it’s something I’d love.

The only wine I buy in case quantities is Champagne. Usually three packs otherwise for the good stuff.

I agree with Ian. If 1)you don’t buy based on points, and 2)you don’t buy based on being on some list, you will buy differently from people who do buy based on those two things.

So if it’s a wine I’ve not had before, I’ll only buy one bottle. If it’s something I know and like, I’ll buy multiple bottles, even multiple cases. These days, I’ve been buying single bottles as I’ve been exploring regions in CA that are new to me.

Unless it’s a really hot deal. Then I just buy whatever I can get. That’s how I ended up getting 13 bottles of Wind Gap last Friday.

exactly. Sometimes I can’t find 12 even if I could afford it, more now than in past.

I usually buy between 2 and 3 bottles of any given wine.

I always start with 3 and if I like it, it goes to 6