Domaine Sylvain Cathiard Chambolle-Musigny

• 2014 Sylvain Cathiard Chambolle-Musigny Les Clos De L’orme - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny (12/8/2018)

Explosive nose of espresso, black fruits and earth. Layered palate with a deep core of fruit, velvety tannins and excellent concentration. A real joy to taste and already delivering so much pleasure!

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds like a nice wine but I would not typically identify Chambolle with espresso, black fruits, and earth. Is that typical of this bottling (which I don’t know)?

My limited experience with Cathiard (Vosne-Romaneé - and I enjoyed it immensely) showed a crazy amount of flint, which I found unusual in a red Burg. Did this have that quality? Is it more a factor of the vineyard than the producer, perhaps?

does sound like a ripe Gevrey. But it gave pleasure.

It is Cathiard after all …

I really enjoyed a 2015 Cathiard Nuits village recently, and totally get Barry’s notes on the 2014 Chambolle. I’m almost positive their grand cru age in 100% new oak and 1er are in 70%. Don’t know what village wines get, but I bet a decent percentage. The wood integration on the 2015 NSG was something I remember noting along with fine reduction and dense fruit. It was super approachable and quite compelling alongside a bunch of other burgs.

I’ve experienced darker fruit profiles in another producer’s Plantes and Combottes, which both adjoin Clos de l’Orme.

Anyone open a coquard Chambolle lately?