A few Berserkers (and CTers) come to dinner

Eric Tomasi and Edward Earles/Mrs. Eddie came to dinner Monday night. We behaved pretty well (school night…concert season for HRH and me…) but we did manage to share some fine food and fine wine. All wines paired wonderfully with the food, but the company overshadowed both the food and the wine.

2008 J. Lassalle Champagne Cuvée Angeline
I am a big fan of this wine—mineral-driven Champagne does it for me every time. Fine bubbles, yeasty brioche, and lemon curd in lovely balance.

Brandade de Morue Gratinée

2014 Ceritas Chardonnay Marena
While this actually shows a small amount of (mostly neutral) oak on the nose, none is evident on the palate. There are hints of white/yellow tropical fruits but the driving force is delicious lemony minerality with a whiff of tender green herbs.

Chicken Thigh Ballotines with Venison Sausage and Freekeh
Port Lacquer
Herbed Wild Mushroom Duxelles
Wilted Chard

2005 Chateau Musar
Man, I love what Serge did with Carignan, which I find to be the dominant flavor profile in this bottle. There is smoke, dried herb, wild black and red fruits, with acidity to balance.
2006 Tenuta Terre Nere
Take out the Sicilian racy fruit and I could almost be convinced that this wine is an acidic year Savigny Lavières. It is quite elegant and could continue to be so for another few years.

Refined Cheeses

Bittersweet Chocolate Sorbet
Marbled Chocolate Wafers
Fennel Vanilla Crème Anglaise
Orange Sauce

2008 Domaine Traginer Banyuls Grand Cru
Traginer always manages to avoid the cloying quality of some Banyuls. This bottle is packed with orange and hillside wild herbs, with a little hint of chocolate to remind you of its origin.

Next time you visit I’m making you cook!

That’s funny–when you visit here I’m making YOU cook! champagne.gif

Great time Scott!! Dinner was fantastic and it was good catching up with you guys and meeting Eddie and his wife.

Hope to see you again soon.