I've Never Had A Chianti That Excited Me

And that includes: Classico, Riserva, and Gran Selezione. I’m looking for a Chianti that goes beyond just being very good. I want one that has the potential to be profound. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Stop drinking them young

In the same boat. Brunellos are some of my favorite wines though but have had almost the exact opposite experience with those. It seems that I should like Sangiovese from other areas in Tuscany that have a similar treatment. Never have though.

I don’t drink a lot of Chianti, but, when I do, I prefer:

Castello di Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva

Rocca delle Macie Chianti Classico Riserva

Fontodi Vigna del Sorbo or Flaccianello. The later is technically not a Chianti but is 100% made with Sangiovese in Tuscany.

What reds have you had that you find profound?

what are the ones you’ve liked? what have you tried and been disappointed in?

Find a 1999 Vigna del Sorbo. If you don’t like that, then you don’t like even among the most densely fruited Chianti near maturity.

Le Trame Chianti Classico.
I have found this to be outstanding.

Not sure how it’s germane to the question at hand, but: Le Pergole Torte, Quintarelli Amarone, Bartolo Mascarello Barolo.

Pergole Torte could of course be Chianti Classico if they chose to claim the appellation.

Felsina Rancia?

This. Montevertine chooses not to use the designation.

+1 for Le Trame by Podere Boncie, stellar wine though I think it may no longer be in the Chianti DOCG, they declassified it I had thought. Rancia is another one, though they need to age a long long time. To be honest, I love Chianti but it’s not where I go for the profound. They can be great values, versatile, and terrific wines all around, but not life changing. Still that’s a long way for Chianti’s quality to go in just a few decades. Despite the improvement in Chianti’s quality and reputation, when someone has the best on their hands, they still tend to go the IGT route.

It’s not really fair to compare Bartolo Mascarello Barolo to much of anything.

PARKERIZED Chianti: 2009 Selvapiana Bucerchiale Chianti Rufina Riserva

AFWE Brunello: 2013 Agostino Pieri*

[*Presumably Normale? I don’t know whether there’s a Riserva in the works any time soon, although it seems like Riserva requirements might ruin the style.]

Michael - It might be a problem of expectations. I rarely expect a Chianti to be profound. But that doesn’t mean that I don’t hope for a lot of depth and complexity. At least in some of the wines. I also think that on the whole Tuscany struggles with value. One wine you might want to consider is the 2015 Castello dei Rampolla Chianti Classico. Retails for $28. I was at the bar the other night and was impressed with the wine as it changed and offered a ton of interesting aspects over an hour or so. The top wines of the region offer profound expressions of Sangiovese. But you have to buy select wines and give them time. Castellare I sodi would be one to consider.

What is profound? For me a wine like Montevertine (sure, not called Chianti but that’s what it really is) is a profound expression of the place and the variety (plus some Canaiolo and Colorino) and I do not see a need to compare it to the great wines of other regions and varieties. I personally love what Chianti can offer at its best and most authentic and appreciate it for not being like any other wine. My other favorite wine style is French Syrah and for sure the appeal of a Côte-Rôtie is very different from the appeal of Chianti but I can enjoy both just as much.

Castell’ In Villa or Felsina Riservas too my list. Either with adequate age can be stunning

Aged (20+) Rancia, Castell’in Villa or Il Poggio - if those wines are not profound to you just skip Chianti. Montevertine too of course