USA CONSUMERS

Hello everyone !

I need the help of the people of Wine Berserkers

I am Juan, a 23 years old student

I am doing my master thesis, and as a part of it I have done a questionnaire about the image of different wine regions for the USA consumer

I am from Spain, so i do not have a lot of contacts in the USA, so I thought that the people of this forum could help me to fill the questionnaire (i already wrote a post but i had no response)

It only takes 5 minutes and the answers are completely confidential,

Here is the link

Please, do it for the sake of wine

Thank you for your help [cheers.gif]

Done.

Good luck Juan!

Hi Juan, I’m filling out the survey, but I do have some feedback.

All of the responses to the question “From the following list, What set of phrases describes you better?” include elements that are way too confining and specific. For example, why does a person who considers themself knowledgeable about wine have to entertain at home with friends and (especially) think ratings and scores are important? You actually have something contradictory going on there for many people. Another example is the person who doesn’t know much about wine and just likes to drink it. It doesn’t make sense to include the bit about wanting to learn more there. Many consumers who fit into this group actually don’t want to learn more. They want wine to be a simple, enjoyable beverage that they don’t have to put a lot of thought or effort into. There are examples like this in every possible response. Frankly, none of those responses describe me.

Then the question about price makes people choose only one price category when many of the most frequent consumers buy wines from a wide variety of price categories. This question, as it’s stated, is guaranteed to give you misleading data, as is the one above. I understand that you’re asking for an average, but there’s a big difference between the person who always spends $20-$30 and the person who has that average through a combination of wines from $10-$150. Plus, those lower price categories are very narrow. I work in wine retail and rarely encounter people who buy fine wines who think so narrowly in terms of price. Yes, the $5-$10 crowd does, but most other people do not. Then you jump to $50-$100, which seems quite broad (maybe appropriately in that case, but strange after those lower options).

On the quality question, are you wanting to know our perception of the upper threshold, or average, or what? I think the average quality in Bordeaux, for example, is quite low, even though there are some extremely good wines produced there.

Keep in mind that the community here is not representative of the general wine buying population. People like us tend to spend a lot (relative to our income, which does vary widely here), but we account for a tiny percentage of wine consumers and overall volume sold.

I mean all of this constructively. Putting together an effective survey is very difficult. Good luck with your studies and with gathering information.