TN: 2012 E. Guigal Condrieu La Doriane (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu)

2012 E. Guigal Condrieu La Doriane - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu (12/7/2018)

Opened by VinT at an offline when he came in from Toronto. 100% Viognier from 35 year old vines. Aged in 100% new oak. Impressive texture and intensity in this wine. Loaded with spice and peach notes with cinnamon and oaky nuances. Full bodied and heavy but nothing that detracted from the wine. Long and round finish. 94 points.

VM

Thanks for the note. Mine never last 6 years because I can’t keep my hands off of them. It seems like the oak notes peaked in '09-'10, and feels like less now. I know it is still 100% new, but maybe they are using lighter toast or bigger barrels? The '15 and '16 are already drinking great!

Thanks for the note. I’m no expert, but the condrieu I’ve had seem to need at least 5-6 years and are usually ready by 7 (give or take a bit). Having said that, the oldest ones I’ve had are about 12yrs old, and they started to seem a bit tired and the sherry notes start to take over. If you like that, then awesome…age them more.