TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S. - Now Served Blind!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3734
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 1:23 pm

TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S. - Now Served Blind!

#1 Post by k s h i n » December 6th, 2018, 6:49 pm

  • 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S. - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (12/6/2018)
    Still quite saturated but slightly brown tinted color. Beautiful mature nose displaying ripe red fruit, cherry syrup, cherry liqueur, a hint of dry cherry, fruitcake, caramel, strong tobacco, black pepper, soy, cinnamon, a hint of sous bois and mineral. Excellent concentration, concentrated sweet cherry, good density, quite fluid, bright acidity, strong irony mineral, still a hint of tannins and a long sweet cherry fruit driven finish with a hint cinnamon coming from the high alcohol content. The sweet ripe cherry fruit and tobacco reminds me Chateau Rayas. Excellent showing and a major surprise. (94 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Last edited by k s h i n on December 23rd, 2018, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26109
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#2 Post by Corey N. » December 6th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Thanks for the great note. Probably not my cuppa, but I know a lawyer in Orlando who would be all over this wine.
Nøv¡¢k

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4620
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#3 Post by Gerhard P. » December 6th, 2018, 11:36 pm

k s h i n wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 6:49 pm
  • 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S. - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (12/6/2018)
    Still quite saturated but slightly brown tinted color. Beautiful mature nose displaying ripe red fruit, cherry syrup, cherry liqueur, a hint of dry cherry, fruitcake, caramel, strong tobacco, black pepper, soy, cinnamon, a hint of sous bois and mineral. Excellent concentration, concentrated sweet cherry, good density, quite fluid, bright acidity, strong irony mineral, still a hint of tannins and a long sweet cherry fruit driven finish with a hint cinnamon coming from the high alcohol content. The sweet ripe cherry fruit and tobacco reminds me Chateau Rayas. Excellent showing and a major surprise. (94 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
I don´t know this vintage, but the older Gramenons were wonderful wines ... I remember dearly a 1990 Ceps Centenaire ... great wine.
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Torstein H a v f l a k
Posts: 7
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#4 Post by Torstein H a v f l a k » December 7th, 2018, 12:44 am

Do you have any experience with recent vintages of Domaine Gramenon, Gerhard and Kevin?

Laurent Gibet
Posts: 621
Joined: May 1st, 2010, 9:48 am

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#5 Post by Laurent Gibet » December 7th, 2018, 2:12 am

I had an excellent "Gramenon à Pascal S 1995" in march 2013 (16,5/17).

"La mémé ceps centenaires 1990" was still very good in march 2004 (it needed time for some harmony). Not retasted.

September 2018, a very good Ceps Centenaires 2005.
Côtes-du-Rhône Gramenon La Mémé Ceps Centenaires 2005 : 16,5/20
Pensé à une syrah de Marlène Soria mais, comme c’est souvent le cas chez Gramenon, c’est le grenache qui prend cette apparence de syrah (tapenade d’olives noires, encre, subtiles inflexions fumées). Sucrosité mais tenue, pour un vin qui se boit avec plaisir (ce qui compte).

Summer 2017 :
Good Vinsobres Papesse 2014 (15/20)

Very good Sagesse 2015 :
Côtes-du-Rhône Gramenon Sagesse 2015 : 16,5/20
Dense, ouvert, net, plein fruit. Rien d’approximatif sur cette bouteille.
www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2783
Joined: January 30th, 2012, 9:22 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#6 Post by Mike Evans » December 7th, 2018, 6:49 am

I drank my last 1995 Laurentides a few years ago and it was very good. I still have a little 1997 Sierra del Sud and 1998 Sagesse and Laurentides that I probably ought to drink.

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3734
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#7 Post by k s h i n » December 7th, 2018, 7:06 am

I have a very little experience with the producer. I was really surprised.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

User avatar
Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3413
Joined: January 11th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#8 Post by Arv R » December 8th, 2018, 4:57 pm

I'd saved some Laurentides from the 90's for a decade plus, and there was something wrong when we opened them. Not sure what it was. I don't see this estate's bottling around much.

Glad someone got to see what the fuss was all about.
R_@_0

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4620
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#9 Post by Gerhard P. » December 9th, 2018, 2:52 am

Torstein H a v f l a k wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 12:44 am
Do you have any experience with recent vintages of Domaine Gramenon, Gerhard and Kevin?
Sorry, nothing after 2000 (when Phillippe died 1999)
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Laurent Gibet
Posts: 621
Joined: May 1st, 2010, 9:48 am

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#10 Post by Laurent Gibet » December 9th, 2018, 4:10 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 2:52 am
Torstein H a v f l a k wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 12:44 am
Do you have any experience with recent vintages of Domaine Gramenon, Gerhard and Kevin?
Sorry, nothing after 2000 (when Phillippe died 1999)
I tasted interesting 2006 a few years ago.
Sagesse 2006 (88/100, three times, same ranking)
Mémé Ceps Centenaires 2006 (90/100)
A Pascal S 2006 (92/100).

They must me ready now.
www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr

Stephen Williams
Posts: 273
Joined: June 13th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#11 Post by Stephen Williams » December 9th, 2018, 11:51 pm

I still have a few of the 1990 Ceps Centenaire in the cellar. It was drinking wonderfully last year. Most people thought it was a Rayas !
No, I'm not the guy from AWC !

Laurent Gibet
Posts: 621
Joined: May 1st, 2010, 9:48 am

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#12 Post by Laurent Gibet » December 10th, 2018, 2:35 am

Stephen Williams wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 11:51 pm
I still have a few of the 1990 Ceps Centenaire in the cellar. It was drinking wonderfully last year. Most people thought it was a Rayas !
Stephen,

Côtes-du-Rhône Gramenon A Pascal S 1995 : 16,5/17 – 2/3/2013
L’antithèse du vin précédent avec son profil « nature », aromatiquement ouvert, glissant/libéré (mais concentré et jeune pour son âge). Goûts de grenache : confiture de fraise, rose fanée, poivre, savon d’Alep, grenadine. Evocations ensorcelantes : Bonneau (2002) ?, Reynaud ?, Gramenon ?, Prieuré-Roch ?, …
www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 5487
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#13 Post by Markus S » December 10th, 2018, 5:26 am

Now that's a rare note! Don't think I've had a Gramenon wine since the late 90's.
$ _ € ® e . k @

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3734
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#14 Post by k s h i n » December 23rd, 2018, 4:22 pm

Since I thought the style closely resembled Rayas. I asked this to be served blind along with the 98 Rayas and everyone guessed it as the Rayas. Since I knew the style, I was able to guess correctly based on process of elimination, i.e. the Rayas was so delicate that it didn't taste like the Gramenon. Blind tasting is the great equalizer
  • 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S. - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône
    I drank a bottle earlier this month and the sweet ripe cherry fruit and tobacco reminded me Chateau Rayas. I asked John to serve this and the 98 Rayas blind. Perfectly mature expressive nose displaying ripe red fruit, cherry liqueur, cherry pie, dry cherry, caramel, tobacco, anise, white pepper, cinnamon and limestone. Excellent concentration, nicely layered decadent red fruit, remains dense and unctuous, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long concentrated decadent red fruit driven finish with white pepper at the end. Initially, I am guessing this is the Rayas. After tasting the second wine which was rather light, i.e. it can’t be this wine, I guess correctly by a process of elimination. Everyone guesses as the Rayas. (94 pts.)
  • 1998 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    John serves blind along the Gramenon. Very delicate slightly diluted nose displaying subtle shy cherry fruit, also strawberry jam, a hint of green pepper, tobacco, black pepper, garrigue and cinnamon. Fully mature palate, subtle shy red fruit, silky and airy, good acidity and mineral, and a medium long subtle red fruit driven finish with black pepper and tobacco at the end. Everyone guesses as the ringer. Being a label whore that I am, I revisit a few times throughout the evening. It is deceptively light but there are telltale signs of Rayas. It reminds me a bit of the 08, i.e. deceptively light and feels diluted yet the nose can open up displaying subtle yet decadent cherry fruit, tobacco, garrigue and etc. Everyone is disappointed and moves on. Absolutely need to revisit soon. (93 pts.)
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6104
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.

#15 Post by Mel Hill » December 23rd, 2018, 8:49 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 6:49 am
I drank my last 1995 Laurentides a few years ago and it was very good. I still have a little 1997 Sierra del Sud and 1998 Sagesse and Laurentides that I probably ought to drink.
just checked and i’ve got a sierra del sud 1997 too! time
to try it

Laurent Gibet
Posts: 621
Joined: May 1st, 2010, 9:48 am

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S. - Now Served Blind!

#16 Post by Laurent Gibet » December 24th, 2018, 12:29 am

Kevin,

I often tasted Rayas 1998 which is definitly not a sucessfull vintage for Reynaud (worse, his Vacqueyras 1998 is really unbalanced).
Rayas 2008, for me, is much more interesting.

Rayas 2002 is light but much more complex, pure and sapid than the disappointing 1998 (aging to quickly).

PS : you can imagine that I am still waiting for the massive/promising Rayas 1995 (it would have been another challenge for Gramenon) ...
www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3734
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S. - Now Served Blind!

#17 Post by k s h i n » December 24th, 2018, 5:41 am

Laurent Gibet wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 12:29 am
Kevin,

I often tasted Rayas 1998 which is definitly not a sucessfull vintage for Reynaud (worse, his Vacqueyras 1998 is really unbalanced).
Rayas 2008, for me, is much more interesting.

Rayas 2002 is light but much more complex, pure and sapid than the disappointing 1998 (aging to quickly).

PS : you can imagine that I am still waiting for the massive/promising Rayas 1995 (it would have been another challenge for Gramenon) ...
Laurent,
For me, the 95 and the 05 are two of the top Rayas starting 1991. I agree that the 08 is better but they are both deceptively light.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

Laurent Gibet
Posts: 621
Joined: May 1st, 2010, 9:48 am

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S. - Now Served Blind!

#18 Post by Laurent Gibet » December 24th, 2018, 5:52 am

Kevin

Never tasted the 2005 but I bought a bottle at the domain last month.
Rayas 2001 is great too, perfecty shaped ...

http://www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr/att ... epas_1.pdf
www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3734
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S. - Now Served Blind!

#19 Post by k s h i n » December 24th, 2018, 5:59 am

Laurent Gibet wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 5:52 am
Kevin

Never tasted the 2005 but I bought a bottle at the domain last month.
Rayas 2001 is great too, perfecty shaped ...

http://www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr/att ... epas_1.pdf
Unfortunately ours was madeirized but I agree.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

Thomas De Waen
Posts: 133
Joined: February 6th, 2012, 8:52 am

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S. - Now Served Blind!

#20 Post by Thomas De Waen » March 15th, 2019, 6:59 am

Opened a magnum of this (the 1995 Pascal S) at a social dinner with a couple of MW friends. Wowser. Amazing wine. VERY reminiscent of Rayas.

Do all of Gramenon's top cuvees show this well with age? The winemaker died in 1999 - are the wines still the same without him?

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3734
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S. - Now Served Blind!

#21 Post by k s h i n » March 15th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Thomas De Waen wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 6:59 am
Opened a magnum of this (the 1995 Pascal S) at a social dinner with a couple of MW friends. Wowser. Amazing wine. VERY reminiscent of Rayas.

Do all of Gramenon's top cuvees show this well with age? The winemaker died in 1999 - are the wines still the same without him?
My experience with the domaine is very limited, a few bottles. It is an excellent wine.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

jbray23
Posts: 2654
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 3:56 pm

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S. - Now Served Blind!

#22 Post by jbray23 » March 16th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Question because I can't find the answer, do they still make the Ceps Centennaires? I bought a bottle of '00 in Paris years ago and really loved it but haven't been able to find another bottle state side since....
Jason, back itb

Stephen Williams
Posts: 273
Joined: June 13th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Re: TN: 1995 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S. - Now Served Blind!

#23 Post by Stephen Williams » March 17th, 2019, 7:04 am

jbray23 wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 3:24 pm
Question because I can't find the answer, do they still make the Ceps Centennaires? I bought a bottle of '00 in Paris years ago and really loved it but haven't been able to find another bottle state side since....
Yes they do. Difficult to track down though
No, I'm not the guy from AWC !

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”