Angerville

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mich@el Ch@ng

Angerville

#1 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 5th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Anyone drink any lately? Wonder what’s drinking well. The last bottle I popped was 07 Champans which was fantastic.

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Angerville

#2 Post by Matthew King » December 5th, 2018, 7:52 pm

I think that Angerville is the house that produced the most satisfying and reasonably priced wines across the board in 2007. The Taillepieds is gorgeous now. The vintage fits their red-fruited stony succulent airy style. Less is often more

I also enjoyed a recent 1999 Fremiet, but it still felt like it it’s a bit coiled and reticent.

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#3 Post by Eric Lundblad » December 5th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Angerville, or d'Angerville? This question reminds me of the New Yorker cartoon that's going around: "I'll have the misspelled 'Ceaser' salad and the improperly hyphenated veal osso-buco."

I have a bottle of 1995 d'Angerville Clos des Ducs, if someone could tell me when it'll be ready I'd appreciate it! If I had multiple bottles that'd be a different matter!
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by RyanC » December 5th, 2018, 9:35 pm

‘15 d’Angerville 1er was beautiful on Monday.
C@ughey

mdavis

#5 Post by mdavis » December 5th, 2018, 10:14 pm

'00 Ducs and Taillepieds are in a good spot. -mark
m=m.a.r.k

PCLIN

#6 Post by PCLIN » December 6th, 2018, 1:06 am

Drinking ‘98 Taillepieds, very good materials but not ready.
Chiu Lin

Mich@el Ch@ng

#7 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 6th, 2018, 3:56 am

Eric Lundblad wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:25 pm
Angerville, or d'Angerville? This question reminds me of the New Yorker cartoon that's going around: "I'll have the misspelled 'Ceaser' salad and the improperly hyphenated veal osso-buco."

I have a bottle of 1995 d'Angerville Clos des Ducs, if someone could tell me when it'll be ready I'd appreciate it! If I had multiple bottles that'd be a different matter!
I was told in the other thread that it should be called either Marquis d’Angerville or Angerville.

Makes sense, as basically you’d just be saying “of angerville”

Dennis Atick

#8 Post by Dennis Atick » December 6th, 2018, 4:23 am

Eric Lundblad wrote:

Not sure you need to wait much longer on the '95. We opened one about a year ago. It was terrific and "ready." No real rush, but ready.
Last edited by Dennis Atick on December 6th, 2018, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
@decaturwinedude

Mich@el Ch@ng

#9 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 6th, 2018, 4:44 am

I may give the 08 fremiets a shot soon.

Scott E. Wade

#10 Post by Scott E. Wade » December 6th, 2018, 5:34 am

I'd agree the 2007 Taillepieds is drinking well now. I've had a few and they are all giving.

Jerry Hey

#11 Post by Jerry Hey » December 6th, 2018, 7:50 am

I had the 2002 d'Angerville Ducs last night. Decanted for 2 hours it was well balanced with no edges, reserved nose and full bodied. I was a little surprised at how generous it was but end the end of dinner the tannins did seem to come out a bit.
Last edited by Jerry Hey on December 6th, 2018, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mich@el Ch@ng

#12 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 6th, 2018, 7:55 am

Which one?

JG Salazar

#13 Post by JG Salazar » December 6th, 2018, 9:13 am

Opened a 2008 Ducster about a month ago, and while it has plenty of life ahead, boy howdy was it delicious. I shared with some of the crew so they could see what people talk about when they talk about silkiness in wine.
Jesse Salazar ITB - USQ

Maxwell A.

#14 Post by Maxwell A. » December 6th, 2018, 9:15 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 4:44 am
I had a bottle of the 08 Fremiets within the last year and was not impressed. Not very expressive, I was guessing it was in a closed period and needed more time. It is possible that the bottle wasn't stored perfectly but I didn't identify any faults. Also, I'm not experienced with d'Angerville Fremiets so I don't have other data points to go off of. If I had another bottle, I'd probably wait another 5 years. I'd be curious to hear from anyone else that has drank this recently.
Max Andrle

Instagram - musigny_max

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Rick Allen » December 6th, 2018, 9:35 am

Maxwell A. wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 9:15 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
I had a bottle of the 08 Fremiets within the last year and was not impressed. Not very expressive, I was guessing it was in a closed period and needed more time. It is possible that the bottle wasn't stored perfectly but I didn't identify any faults. Also, I'm not experienced with d'Angerville Fremiets so I don't have other data points to go off of. If I had another bottle, I'd probably wait another 5 years. I'd be curious to hear from anyone else that has drank this recently.
13 years ago I pulled out a 96 Champans and thought it was corked because it had no aroma what so ever. I set it aside and, luckily, didn't dump it. I got back to it a couple of days later and it was excellent. I wasn't a big believer in the "wine is shut down" thing until then.

Mike Grammer

#16 Post by Mike Grammer » December 6th, 2018, 9:43 am

If June is lately, these will be of some help, I hope:

"2011 Marquis D’Angerville Volnay Champans

Jeff brought this and it was a fantastic chance to taste different plots and vintages along with my 05 Taillepieds. I can’t say I got a ton of Volnay typicity, missing mid-dark fruit and earthy bits and the velvet glove feel, but wow---can any 2011 red be better than this? Such gorgeous clarity of fruit and it doesn’t go away the whole night. Purest sweet raspberry and crabapple, it slides *effortlessly* down the throat. This is luminous, has real star power and has to be a candidate for my wine of the vintage. Blind? I would surely have guessed an 02 or 10 Vosne or Echezeaux. WOTN and perhaps reaches a 92 score for me.

2005 Marquis D’Angerville Volnay Taillepieds

I opened it the day before, took a sip and decided this didn’t need decanting. It felt right, and it was for me---others commented that they wanted more openness, but I was more than just fine with this. Nips of soy around cherry and plum. I really like the length and suave grip with earth and chocolate joining the fruit replays. True Volnay and it really comes with time in the glass. #2 this evening."

haere Ra,

Mike

Mich@el Ch@ng

#17 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 6th, 2018, 10:31 am

I also have some 11 taillpieds I may open. Wonder when the 13 champans will be ready, I got a lot of that for a pretty good deal.

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by RyanC » December 6th, 2018, 10:36 am

Rick Allen wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 9:35 am
Maxwell A. wrote:
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
13 years ago I pulled out a 96 Champans and thought it was corked because it had no aroma what so ever. I set it aside and, luckily, didn't dump it. I got back to it a couple of days later and it was excellent. I wasn't a big believer in the "wine is shut down" thing until then.
I recently picked up a few of the 96 Champans. Hopefully in the last 13 years it has woken up from its slumber.
C@ughey

Subu Ramachandran

#19 Post by Subu Ramachandran » December 6th, 2018, 11:13 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 10:31 am
I also have some 11 taillpieds I may open. Wonder when the 13 champans will be ready, I got a lot of that for a pretty good deal.
Michael, I'm planning to hold on to the 13's till 2025.

Gerhard P.

#20 Post by Gerhard P. » December 6th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
Most probably VERY youthful, maybe closed.

I had the Champans 08 last June, much too early (not my bottle).
2000 Ducs and 1989 Champans were ready and fine last summer.
1995 Fremierts almost a year ago was close to ready, but no hurry.

2007 is a very different vintage to 2008 ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Mich@el Ch@ng

#21 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 6th, 2018, 1:12 pm

What about 2011s? I have some taillepieds and fremiets.

Jerry Hey

#22 Post by Jerry Hey » December 6th, 2018, 1:43 pm

I've had the 11 Champans a few times in Paris and it was drinking well.

Odd Rydland

#23 Post by Odd Rydland » December 6th, 2018, 1:54 pm

Eric Lundblad wrote:

It drank very well a month ago, prompting me to say it was the first reasonably mature d'Angerville I've had. Last weekend I had the 96 Duc, pure and translucent fruit killed by acids I couldn't quite handle, and the 04, slightly scrawny fruit and some green meanies, but reasonably fine apart from that and drinking pretty well.

Subu Ramachandran

#24 Post by Subu Ramachandran » December 6th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Odd Rydland wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 1:54 pm
Last weekend I had the 96 Duc (pure and translucent fruit totally killed by acids, and the 04, slightly scrawny fruit and some green meanies, but reasonably fine apart from that and drinking pretty well.
First time I'm seeing "scrawny fruit and green meanies but drinking well" in the same line. You must be a d'Angerville junkie!

Odd Rydland

#25 Post by Odd Rydland » December 6th, 2018, 2:17 pm

Wll, meaning that the wine is quite approachable for a 14 young d'Angerville. Not wonderful, complex or any of that, but not closed down, and unlikely to get any better.

Mich@el Ch@ng

#26 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 7th, 2018, 6:24 am

Is there any consensus on which vineyards take more time? Sounds like perhaps Ducs and taillepieds are more concentrated; is fremiets approachable earlier? I’m not as familiar with angerville’s Caillerets or angles.

Gerhard P.

#27 Post by Gerhard P. » December 7th, 2018, 9:24 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 6:24 am
Is there any consensus on which vineyards take more time? Sounds like perhaps Ducs and taillepieds are more concentrated; is fremiets approachable earlier? I’m not as familiar with angerville’s Caillerets or angles.
I´d say Ducs (and Champans and Caillerets) need the most time,
Angles and Fremiets may be ready slightly earlier ... Taillepieds in between -
all very generally ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Matthew King » December 7th, 2018, 9:48 am

I agree with Gerhard’s assessment.

BTW, they make a very nice Bourgogne to drink while waiting on the Ducs. Wee crunchy and succulent... evocative of cranberries

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by john stimson » December 7th, 2018, 10:00 am

Interesting--I would have said Ducs and Taillepieds take the most time. the wines in general can take quite a while, but at least for me I've had a few wonderful experiences in the 8-12 year range. these however for me are unpredictable, so I tend to just leave the wines alone during this time.

Seth M. Long

#30 Post by Seth M. Long » December 7th, 2018, 10:22 am

1990 Champans in October was a real pleasure. It was still firmly structured but needs no more cellaring.
Wine Broker and Wine Maker

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Jay Miller » December 7th, 2018, 10:43 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 4:23 am
Eric Lundblad wrote:

Not sure you need to wait much longer on the '95. We opened one about a year ago. It was terrific and "ready." No real rush, but ready.
Odd Rydland wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 1:54 pm
Eric Lundblad wrote:

It drank very well a month ago, prompting me to say it was the first reasonably mature d'Angerville I've had. Last weekend I had the 96 Duc, pure and translucent fruit killed by acids I couldn't quite handle, and the 04, slightly scrawny fruit and some green meanies, but reasonably fine apart from that and drinking pretty well.
I am surprised and pleased to hear this. May be time to test out some more 1995s. Every time I do I think "5 more years..."
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by lleichtman » December 7th, 2018, 10:56 am

Maxwell A. wrote:
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
IMHO, D'Angerville takes about 20 to open up well for me. Still drinking the '95 and drinking well right now. 10 years just seems to early for me.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Maxwell A.

#33 Post by Maxwell A. » December 7th, 2018, 3:20 pm

lleichtman wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 10:56 am
Maxwell A. wrote:
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
IMHO, D'Angerville takes about 20 to open up well for me. Still drinking the '95 and drinking well right now. 10 years just seems to early for me.
Rick Allen wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 9:35 am
Maxwell A. wrote:
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
Ah, it sounds like I had a very young and or shut down bottle. I gave it at least 4-5 hours but it never became very expressive. Thanks for the info, guys.
Max Andrle

Instagram - musigny_max

Jayson Cohen

#34 Post by Jayson Cohen » December 7th, 2018, 4:37 pm

I think the sweet spot under Jacques was 20+ year for the Clos des Ducs, Taillepieds, Champans, and Caillerets generally speaking. The verdict may still be out since Guillaume took full control after Jacques passed away. We are only ~15 years in.

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#35 Post by Eric Lundblad » December 7th, 2018, 11:31 pm

Thanks for all the opinions/thoughts about the 95 Ducs! What Jay Miller said is what I've heard elsewhere (tho not recently)...anyways, I'll put it on the shorter list to open sometime.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Gerhard P.

#36 Post by Gerhard P. » December 8th, 2018, 3:39 am

Jay Miller wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 10:43 am

I am surprised and pleased to hear this. May be time to test out some more 1995s. Every time I do I think "5 more years..."
I´d open it 5-6 hours in advance, then decant for 15-20 min.
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Return to “Wine Talk”