Angerville

Anyone drink any lately? Wonder what’s drinking well. The last bottle I popped was 07 Champans which was fantastic.

I think that Angerville is the house that produced the most satisfying and reasonably priced wines across the board in 2007. The Taillepieds is gorgeous now. The vintage fits their red-fruited stony succulent airy style. Less is often more

I also enjoyed a recent 1999 Fremiet, but it still felt like it it’s a bit coiled and reticent.

Angerville, or d’Angerville? This question reminds me of the New Yorker cartoon that’s going around: “I’ll have the misspelled ‘Ceaser’ salad and the improperly hyphenated veal osso-buco.”

I have a bottle of 1995 d’Angerville Clos des Ducs, if someone could tell me when it’ll be ready I’d appreciate it! If I had multiple bottles that’d be a different matter!

‘15 d’Angerville 1er was beautiful on Monday.

'00 Ducs and Taillepieds are in a good spot. -mark

Drinking ‘98 Taillepieds, very good materials but not ready.

I was told in the other thread that it should be called either Marquis d’Angerville or Angerville.

Makes sense, as basically you’d just be saying “of angerville”

Not sure you need to wait much longer on the '95. We opened one about a year ago. It was terrific and “ready.” No real rush, but ready.

I may give the 08 fremiets a shot soon.

I’d agree the 2007 Taillepieds is drinking well now. I’ve had a few and they are all giving.

I had the 2002 d’Angerville Ducs last night. Decanted for 2 hours it was well balanced with no edges, reserved nose and full bodied. I was a little surprised at how generous it was but end the end of dinner the tannins did seem to come out a bit.

Which one?

Opened a 2008 Ducster about a month ago, and while it has plenty of life ahead, boy howdy was it delicious. I shared with some of the crew so they could see what people talk about when they talk about silkiness in wine.

I had a bottle of the 08 Fremiets within the last year and was not impressed. Not very expressive, I was guessing it was in a closed period and needed more time. It is possible that the bottle wasn’t stored perfectly but I didn’t identify any faults. Also, I’m not experienced with d’Angerville Fremiets so I don’t have other data points to go off of. If I had another bottle, I’d probably wait another 5 years. I’d be curious to hear from anyone else that has drank this recently.

13 years ago I pulled out a 96 Champans and thought it was corked because it had no aroma what so ever. I set it aside and, luckily, didn’t dump it. I got back to it a couple of days later and it was excellent. I wasn’t a big believer in the “wine is shut down” thing until then.

If June is lately, these will be of some help, I hope:

"2011 Marquis D’Angerville Volnay Champans

Jeff brought this and it was a fantastic chance to taste different plots and vintages along with my 05 Taillepieds. I can’t say I got a ton of Volnay typicity, missing mid-dark fruit and earthy bits and the velvet glove feel, but wow—can any 2011 red be better than this? Such gorgeous clarity of fruit and it doesn’t go away the whole night. Purest sweet raspberry and crabapple, it slides effortlessly down the throat. This is luminous, has real star power and has to be a candidate for my wine of the vintage. Blind? I would surely have guessed an 02 or 10 Vosne or Echezeaux. WOTN and perhaps reaches a 92 score for me.

2005 Marquis D’Angerville Volnay Taillepieds

I opened it the day before, took a sip and decided this didn’t need decanting. It felt right, and it was for me—others commented that they wanted more openness, but I was more than just fine with this. Nips of soy around cherry and plum. I really like the length and suave grip with earth and chocolate joining the fruit replays. True Volnay and it really comes with time in the glass. #2 this evening."

haere Ra,

Mike

I also have some 11 taillpieds I may open. Wonder when the 13 champans will be ready, I got a lot of that for a pretty good deal.

I recently picked up a few of the 96 Champans. Hopefully in the last 13 years it has woken up from its slumber.

Michael, I’m planning to hold on to the 13’s till 2025.

Most probably VERY youthful, maybe closed.

I had the Champans 08 last June, much too early (not my bottle).
2000 Ducs and 1989 Champans were ready and fine last summer.
1995 Fremierts almost a year ago was close to ready, but no hurry.

2007 is a very different vintage to 2008 …