TN: 1990 Beringer Vineyards Merlot Bancroft Ranch

• 1990 Beringer Vineyards Merlot Bancroft Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (12/5/2018)
    Last had this 7yrs ago, and that bottle was wonderful! This bottle, my last, is even more brilliant! Beautiful youthful garnet, plum color…intoxicating nose of dusty old cellar cedar, leather, crushed berries/olives, menthol, dried cherry and tobacco spice. Smoooooth and silky in the mouth, with just the slightest of tannin left…more sour skin acidity than the last bottle, which refreshens the old boy, but makes the finish a little sour and dry. Very pleasing old school stuff here! Complex and engaging flavors…olives, plum liqueur, wintergreen tobacco, nuttiness, leather…mouthful of plushness and pleasure. Everything is in perfect balance…tame and subtle…nothing absurdly out of whack. They just don’t make um like they use to! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

I had a fantastic 1992 a couple years back as it’s my daughter’s birth year. It showed up at K&L for about $50.

Nice! Bancroft Ranch Merlot from the 90s was a favorite for many years. Long time since I’ve had one.

Back in the day purchased for under $30. Those were the days. Distinct…balanced and…yum! And back in the day numerous terrific wines were purchased for a song. Years from now folks could be saying the same thing of current wines priced that make you flinch. Thanks for the note…and the memories.

Cheers
JP

I bought these from Winebid in 2010…$20!

A deal! Me thinks I bought mine 20 years ago from a local retailer for about $28. Consumed a long time ago…

Cheers,
JP

Ahhhhh, the memories! I have tried some of the recent vintages- good wines, but not in the same class for whatever reason.

Someone stuck one of these blind into a Pomerol tasting we had once (although a different vintage, maybe it was 95?) and it compared very well to those. I bought a few vintages after that experience.

We were just talking about good Merlot last night. Looks like a winner! Color likes amazing.

Sounds like a special bottle. I have had quite a few memorable older Beringer Merlots and Cabs. Salute’

Howell Mountain fruit produces so many great wines. Zin, Cab and Merlot from the AVA definitely have a signature that makes them stand out. The fruits have more concentrated flavor, viscosity and generally, a long, long finish. Black Sears Vineyard and Herb Lamb Vineyard are the first two that come to mind.