We're not normal : )

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
bradkaplan
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 448
Joined: September 8th, 2009, 6:30 pm

We're not normal : )

#1 Post by bradkaplan » December 5th, 2018, 9:37 am

I love this little WineBerserkers bubble, but just had to share what wines more "normal" people are wonderfully enthusiastic about, from a friend's Facebook post asking for favorite "red wines under $30."

Here's a rundown and some key quotes on folks' recommendations, which are mostly a who's who of the supermarket wine shelf (some bottom shelf, some top). Which of these would YOU endorse? (I haven't tried hardly any...)
  • Yellow Tail Sangria
    Stella Rosa Black
    Apothic Inferno
    Winking Owl Cabernet
    Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin
    Beringer Merlot
    Justin Cabernet
    Robert Mondavi Cabernet aged in Bourbon Barrels
    Meomi
    Educated Guess
    Substance
    Barista Pinotage
    Decoy Cabernet
    JaM Cabernet
    Roth Cabernet
    Josh Cabernet
    "anything from Molly Dooker or Peter Lehmann Wines - if you want a big, juicy, dark Aussie shiraz I am partial to the Molly Dooker Boxer Shiraz. Peter Lehmann is a little more delicate -- and affordable."
    Cooper and Thief - "Bourbon barrel aged red that changed my life." "One or two glasses and you're done lol! 17% alcohol and almost a fortified wine, but dang it's delicious!" "100% right"
    19 Crimes - "I like it bc it's not tooooo dry.... Now, I enjoy a dry red BUT sometimes I want something easier to wind (or wine😎) down with."
    Flipside Red - "I bought it exclusively because of the label design and its become my go to"
Then a comment or two that were more berserker-y:
  • Lapierre Raisins Gaulois - "cherry blossoms, blood orange peel and a touch of baking spice!"
    Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir, G.D. Vajra Langhe Rosso or Barbera d'Alba, Altesino Rosso di Montalcino, Cass Mouvedre, Round Pond Kith and Kin Cabernet and Maysara 3 Degrees Pinot Noir are all great values.
    Costco Cotes du Rhone
www.ThirstySouth.com

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7817
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 9:58 am

Re: We're not normal : )

#2 Post by Russ Williams » December 5th, 2018, 9:46 am

I will only comment to say, we all started this insane obsession drinking similar wines. I can actually remember drinking a Peter Lehmann Shiraz and liking it. [barf1.gif]
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 5681
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: We're not normal : )

#3 Post by Dennis Atick » December 5th, 2018, 9:47 am

Dude. You could have asked before creeping on my Facebook and posting it here!
We are not normal.
Sad thing, there are some really compelling wines for under $30. Hell, this is where I drink most of the time!
Can even plenty of $25 gems in our lame ATL market.
The list you posted is for wine shopping at Publix.
Last edited by Dennis Atick on December 5th, 2018, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@decaturwinedude

Marco Maiocco
Posts: 47
Joined: February 3rd, 2014, 9:16 am

Re: We're not normal : )

#4 Post by Marco Maiocco » December 5th, 2018, 9:49 am

OT
Sometimes I feel happy to be Italian. Here is a very partial list of wines under 30$ (27 €) in my supermarket:
Produttori del barbaresco barbaresco
Adriano barbaresco
Nervi gattinara
Banfi brunello di montalcino
Sella e Mosca marchese di Villamarina
Mastroberardino Taurasi
Ratti nebbiolo Ochetti
....

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 414
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: We're not normal : )

#5 Post by dsimmons » December 5th, 2018, 10:10 am

And if we look closely there are bubbles within bubbles within bubbles. [cheers.gif] But then that is part of what makes wine a fascinating hobby as opposed to the commodity it is outside the bubble. I do chuckle sometime though when we clearly over think some bit of wine world minutia.

It also amuses me how my family and friends consider me a total wine snob yet here I feel like quite the neophyte.
D o n

YLee
Posts: 192
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: We're not normal : )

#6 Post by YLee » December 5th, 2018, 10:24 am

I have tried Robert Mondavi Cabernet aged in Bourbon Barrels, 19 crimes and it just happens Im currently drinking Beringer merlot. I like the 19 crimes most. Other 2 I would not buy again.
-Yong

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1354
Joined: January 24th, 2014, 11:07 pm

Re: We're not normal : )

#7 Post by R. Frankel » December 5th, 2018, 10:27 am

Indeed Italy is a special place. If only the supermarkets there delivered (to San Francisco ;) ).
Marco Maiocco wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 9:49 am
OT
Sometimes I feel happy to be Italian. Here is a very partial list of wines under 30$ (27 €) in my supermarket:
Produttori del barbaresco barbaresco
Adriano barbaresco
Nervi gattinara
Banfi brunello di montalcino
Sella e Mosca marchese di Villamarina
Mastroberardino Taurasi
Ratti nebbiolo Ochetti
....
Rich Frankel

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14753
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: We're not normal : )

#8 Post by Howard Cooper » December 5th, 2018, 10:34 am

None of the above.

Some reds under $30 I have liked would include:

Ridge Three Valleys
Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne
Poduttori del Barbaresco
Vajva Nebbiolo
Domaine des Moirots
Charvin Vin de Pays or Cotes du Rhone
Fosse Seche Saumur

So, I guess I am not normal. Learned that a long time ago.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3806
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: We're not normal : )

#9 Post by Michae1 P0wers » December 5th, 2018, 10:38 am

Russ Williams wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 9:46 am
I will only comment to say, we all started this insane obsession drinking similar wines. I can actually remember drinking a Peter Lehmann Shiraz and liking it. [barf1.gif]
I remember liking a Peter Lehmann Shiraz years ago as well. I don't know what I'd think of it now, but I'm not sure it's vomit emoji bad. I'd guess it's probably a lot better than Mollydooker or any red wine aged in a bourbon barrel!

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 6982
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

Re: We're not normal : )

#10 Post by larry schaffer » December 5th, 2018, 10:44 am

One of the 'biggest challenges' being a part of this wine biz is to constantly think OUTSIDE of our industry to get an idea of what the 'general public' thinks about wine and what they drink. It is an every day challenge for me, and one that I cherish. Yep, I can geek out here quite often and dig it, but I am equally adept and telling folks in my tasting room NOT to knock white zin (and no, not the Turley stuff) because if that's what someone likes to drink, please don't make them feel bad about it . . . just as I don't want making fun of me if I want to order grilled fish at a steakhouse.

A slide drift - I had an artist in over the weekend that doesn't drink much wine. Some of her patrons like to take her out to dinner and they often splurge on 'expensive wines'. She couldn't understand it and felt that it was silly to do so. I turned to her and asked if it was equally as silly that someone would pay her $15K for a painting when they could go into Ethan Brothers and pick up a poster for $15. Point made and taken.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

User avatar
Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 810
Joined: November 11th, 2013, 11:16 am
Location: El Paso

Re: We're not normal : )

#11 Post by Jeremy C » December 5th, 2018, 11:04 am

Educated Guess isn't bad.

The others, though...
Cuth.bert.son

Marcus Goodfellow
Posts: 1090
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: We're not normal : )

#12 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » December 5th, 2018, 11:08 am

Marco Maiocco wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 9:49 am
OT
Sometimes I feel happy to be Italian. Here is a very partial list of wines under 30$ (27 €) in my supermarket:
Produttori del barbaresco barbaresco
Adriano barbaresco
Nervi gattinara
Banfi brunello di montalcino
Sella e Mosca marchese di Villamarina
Mastroberardino Taurasi
Ratti nebbiolo Ochetti
....
I am definitely envious...although Portland, Oregon does have a lot of great Piemontese wines available at retail.

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 24958
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: We're not normal : )

#13 Post by Anton D » December 5th, 2018, 11:14 am

We are like audiophiles being asked to shop at Best Buy.

We are a subsect.

Maybe a subsect of a subsect.

When civilians ask me, I tell them, don't drink wines that have barcodes integrated on the original labels. In general, it helps.
Anton Dotson

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 5071
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: We're not normal : )

#14 Post by Markus S » December 5th, 2018, 11:27 am

Anton D wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 11:14 am
...don't drink wines that have barcodes integrated on the original labels. In general, it helps.
I think I've been subconsciously aware of this for some time, but if you followed it exactly, you wouldn't be buying wines like Jermann or Badenhorst, for example.
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
Scott Fitzgerald
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2543
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: We're not normal : )

#15 Post by Scott Fitzgerald » December 5th, 2018, 11:48 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 10:38 am
Russ Williams wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 9:46 am
I will only comment to say, we all started this insane obsession drinking similar wines. I can actually remember drinking a Peter Lehmann Shiraz and liking it. [barf1.gif]
I remember liking a Peter Lehmann Shiraz years ago as well. I don't know what I'd think of it now, but I'm not sure it's vomit emoji bad. I'd guess it's probably a lot better than Mollydooker or any red wine aged in a bourbon barrel!
This jarred my memory...went back several years in CT and found this note from a 2009 Peter Lehmann Clancy's:
"The nose initially smelled of canned Vienna Sausage. It took me awhile to place the smell, but yes...I remember my sister loving the little canned buggers as a child."
Here's to the Not Normals! champagne.gif
CT: BigTex22

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 24958
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: We're not normal : )

#16 Post by Anton D » December 5th, 2018, 11:54 am

Scott Fitzgerald wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 11:48 am

Here's to the Not Normals! champagne.gif
[cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

Brian Gilp
Posts: 2176
Joined: May 29th, 2010, 6:00 am

Re: We're not normal : )

#17 Post by Brian Gilp » December 5th, 2018, 11:55 am

While not a great wine, one can do a lot worse than Justin Cab.

User avatar
Ian Sutton
Posts: 5154
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 2:19 pm
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: We're not normal : )

#18 Post by Ian Sutton » December 5th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Marco Maiocco wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 9:49 am
OT
Sometimes I feel happy to be Italian. Here is a very partial list of wines under 30$ (27 €) in my supermarket:
Produttori del barbaresco barbaresco
Adriano barbaresco
Nervi gattinara
Banfi brunello di montalcino
Sella e Mosca marchese di Villamarina
Mastroberardino Taurasi
Ratti nebbiolo Ochetti
....
Hi Marco
It's funny you should post that, because I was thinking that I never see Mastroberardino Taurasi Radici in Italian supermarkets any more, whereas they seemed to be in many of the small city centre supermarkets during previous visits. Certainly none in CRAI or Carrefour on a recent trip to Torino. Which supermarkets still carry it? Esselunga, CONAD, Bennet, ...? I do like that there are normally a good selection of local wines, so based on that list I'm wondering whether you're based in Piemonte?
Regards
Ian
Normal for Norfolk

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 414
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: We're not normal : )

#19 Post by dsimmons » December 5th, 2018, 12:13 pm

larry schaffer wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 10:44 am

"I am equally adept and telling folks in my tasting room NOT to knock white zin (and no, not the Turley stuff) because if that's what someone likes to drink, please don't make them feel bad about it"
Bravo Larry!
D o n

User avatar
bob poirier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 939
Joined: December 2nd, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: North Shore Mass

Re: We're not normal : )

#20 Post by bob poirier » December 5th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Jeremy C wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 11:04 am
Educated Guess isn't bad.

The others, though...
+1 Great cellar defender

Marco Maiocco
Posts: 47
Joined: February 3rd, 2014, 9:16 am

Re: We're not normal : )

#21 Post by Marco Maiocco » December 5th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Ian Sutton wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 12:03 pm
Marco Maiocco wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 9:49 am
OT
Sometimes I feel happy to be Italian. Here is a very partial list of wines under 30$ (27 €) in my supermarket:
Produttori del barbaresco barbaresco
Adriano barbaresco
Nervi gattinara
Banfi brunello di montalcino
Sella e Mosca marchese di Villamarina
Mastroberardino Taurasi
Ratti nebbiolo Ochetti
....
Hi Marco
It's funny you should post that, because I was thinking that I never see Mastroberardino Taurasi Radici in Italian supermarkets any more, whereas they seemed to be in many of the small city centre supermarkets during previous visits. Certainly none in CRAI or Carrefour on a recent trip to Torino. Which supermarkets still carry it? Esselunga, CONAD, Bennet, ...? I do like that there are normally a good selection of local wines, so based on that list I'm wondering whether you're based in Piemonte?
Regards
Ian
It's actually a Carrefour market "vivi di gusto" in Torino. Just the black label version of Taurasi and a few whites .

User avatar
Mike Kuller
Posts: 604
Joined: April 17th, 2012, 2:59 pm
Location: East SF Bay Area

Re: We're not normal : )

#22 Post by Mike Kuller » December 5th, 2018, 2:48 pm

YLee wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 10:24 am
I have tried Robert Mondavi Cabernet aged in Bourbon Barrels, 19 crimes and it just happens Im currently drinking Beringer merlot. I like the 19 crimes most. Other 2 I would not buy again.
A wine friend tried 19 Crimes chardonnay and said it was the worst chardonnay he's tasted but he liked the label.
No Vino Sin Cojones

User avatar
Mike Kuller
Posts: 604
Joined: April 17th, 2012, 2:59 pm
Location: East SF Bay Area

Re: We're not normal : )

#23 Post by Mike Kuller » December 5th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Anton D wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 11:14 am
We are like audiophiles being asked to shop at Best Buy.
I was in Best Buy a few months ago buying a new TV and was impressed with their Magnolia Audio selection.

B & W, MacIntosh, Martin Logan and KEF among others.
No Vino Sin Cojones

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16326
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: We're not normal : )

#24 Post by Alan Rath » December 5th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Mike Kuller wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 2:54 pm
Anton D wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 11:14 am
We are like audiophiles being asked to shop at Best Buy.
I was in Best Buy a few months ago buying a new TV and was impressed with their Magnolia Audio selection.

B & W, MacIntosh, Martin Logan and KEF among others.
Yep. I keep waiting for them to close out some B&W speakers so I can upgrade my 28 year old set.

User avatar
Ian Sutton
Posts: 5154
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 2:19 pm
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: We're not normal : )

#25 Post by Ian Sutton » December 5th, 2018, 4:21 pm

Marco Maiocco wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 1:36 pm
Ian Sutton wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 12:03 pm
Marco Maiocco wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 9:49 am
OT
Sometimes I feel happy to be Italian. Here is a very partial list of wines under 30$ (27 €) in my supermarket:
Produttori del barbaresco barbaresco
Adriano barbaresco
Nervi gattinara
Banfi brunello di montalcino
Sella e Mosca marchese di Villamarina
Mastroberardino Taurasi
Ratti nebbiolo Ochetti
....
Hi Marco
It's funny you should post that, because I was thinking that I never see Mastroberardino Taurasi Radici in Italian supermarkets any more, whereas they seemed to be in many of the small city centre supermarkets during previous visits. Certainly none in CRAI or Carrefour on a recent trip to Torino. Which supermarkets still carry it? Esselunga, CONAD, Bennet, ...? I do like that there are normally a good selection of local wines, so based on that list I'm wondering whether you're based in Piemonte?
Regards
Ian
It's actually a Carrefour market "vivi di gusto" in Torino. Just the black label version of Taurasi and a few whites .
Hi Marco
Ah, it was just a small Carrefour we visited (via San Quintino). I love the *small specialist shops in Torino (e.g. Primizie di Osvaldo at the Porta Susa end of via San Quintino, with very fine fruit and the white truffle we bought was probably the most fragrant one we've ever bought), but for a small supermarket, the Carrefour was very good.

If the vivi di gusto Carrefour is in Chieri, then I'd be very interested in your views of Chieri as a place to stay. I'd looked at it before as a potential option that might offer:
- Flexibility to have a car (we wouldn't enjoy driving in Torino)
- Easy options to take bus or train into the city
- Enough there to be able to walk to a restaurant/trattoria/enoteca in the evening, and have enough variety for a week

but this last trip was very much a shopping trip, so staying in an apartment on via XX Settembre was very convenient.

I do like the black label Taurasi, in addition to the white label riserva, and indeed also the Naturalis Historia, even though I feared it might be a little modern/international for my tastes, and it most certainly wasn't.

Regards
Ian
* Sad to see the end of Baita del Formagg on via Lagrange and Antica enoteca del Borgo on via Monferrato, two favourite places for us over the last 15 years, though their closure makes me ever more determined to use the smaller shops. For me they are a genuine treasure.
Normal for Norfolk

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 24958
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: We're not normal : )

#26 Post by Anton D » December 5th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Mike Kuller wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 2:48 pm
YLee wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 10:24 am
I have tried Robert Mondavi Cabernet aged in Bourbon Barrels, 19 crimes and it just happens Im currently drinking Beringer merlot. I like the 19 crimes most. Other 2 I would not buy again.
A wine friend tried 19 Crimes chardonnay and said it was the worst chardonnay he's tasted but he liked the label.
19 Crimes!

They had a "prison ship" themed expo at Outside Lands last summer and I recall how nice they were and my wife won a lovely T-shirt. I could tell that the chard was a chard, which is good for festival wines.

I think we got souvenir convict portraits, as well.

Huzzah!

[cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

User avatar
GregT
Posts: 6581
Joined: April 15th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Re: We're not normal : )

#27 Post by GregT » December 5th, 2018, 8:28 pm

She couldn't understand it and felt that it was silly to do so. I turned to her and asked if it was equally as silly that someone would pay her $15K for a painting when they could go into Ethan Brothers and pick up a poster for $15.
It hit home for her. For other people, not so much.

But as far as the Peter Lehmann, it's not an awful wine. It's Barossa, it's ripe, but it's an honest wine and I don't find it disgusting at all. Worlds away from something like Meiomi. And for anyone who's interested in the backstory, years ago he was told by the people who bought the corporation he was working for to tell all the growers their grapes weren't needed. There was a downturn in the wine market and the corporation didn't need them.

He said that the farmers and families depended on selling those grapes so he bought them himself, on borrowed money and prayers. But he kept a number of families afloat and they never forgot him. Later, when things turned around, he was always given pick of the grapes.

A true gentleman and a classy guy all the way around.
G . T a t a r

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 516
Joined: December 26th, 2012, 7:36 am
Location: San Jose

Re: We're not normal : )

#28 Post by robert creth » December 5th, 2018, 8:52 pm

It also amuses me how my family and friends consider me a total wine snob yet here I feel like quite the neophyte.
[/quote]
I so relate to this.

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 318
Joined: October 26th, 2015, 11:13 am

Re: We're not normal : )

#29 Post by Brandon J. » December 6th, 2018, 9:15 pm

$30? We drink fantastic wine for $20 frequently. If you're spending $30, you can get a very nice bottle of wine with some shopping.

Fantastic, Barbera, Beaujolais, riesling, Loire, Languadoc, Rioja, bubbles etc etc...I think you can find really well done wine for $30 and have hundreds of options at the $20 price point for daily drinkers. This of course, depends on where you live. We are lucky here in Oregon.
John sen

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15271
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: New York City

Re: We're not normal : )

#30 Post by John Morris » December 6th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Don't knock Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin until you've tried it. Someone brought a bottle to a party of mine a couple of years ago. I goofed and didn't open it for the crowd, so I tried it a few days later. It was quite potable and tasted like zin. It didn't go down the drain!
Howard Cooper wrote: ↑
December 5th, 2018, 10:34 am
Charvin Vin de Pays or Cotes du Rhone
+1 The vin de pays is remarkable value at $14 or $15. Half merlot, as I recall, but really good. I like the CdR more than many Chateauneufs.
"More fiction is written in Excel than Word." -- @troyvosseller

"It's hard for a $35 zin to compete with a $100 cabernet that tastes the same." - Me

king-of-capital.com @SubwayTidbits

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”