TN: 1992 Azienda Agricola Montevetrano Montevetrano Colli di Salerno IGT

• 1992 Azienda Agricola Montevetrano Montevetrano Colli di Salerno IGT - Italy, Campania, Colli di Salerno IGT (12/3/2018)
    Very youthful expressive nose displaying dense sweet black fruit, blackberry jam, black cherry, chocolate dipped cherry, dark spices, strong vanilla/oak, tar, ash and earth. Excellent concentration, concentrated sweet black fruit, quite viscous and chewy, bright acidity, strong earthy mineral, still noticeable but none obtrusive tannins and a long sweet black fruit driven finish with vanilla/oak at the end. The oak/vanilla expression is really strong. This is a very modern concentrated wine that can still improve. If cellar for another two decades, it may show similar to Unico. If you are a AFWE, avoid. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Hi Kevin
Thanks for the note, and I must admit it rings true to the one experience I had with this wine, where it was easy to call it ‘fine wine’, but it just seemed to be polished (and veneered) into anonymity. In no way a bad wine, but one that was more forgettable than I had hoped.
Regards
Ian

Kevin,

1992 was the first vintage on the market.

I had a very good Montevetrano di Silvia Imparato 2001 in october 2013.

Campanie Colli di Salerno Montevetrano 2001 : 16,5/20 – 12/10/2013
60% CS, 30% merlot, 10% aglianico.
Herbacé, avec du cassis, un côté bouquet garni très infusé (estragon, en particulier).
Belle évolution (céleri, cuir (sellerie), tabac, graphite, …) de cépages bordelais dépaysés (reste à savoir où, l’Opus One 2005 présenté en parallèle paraissant plus confit et l’on pourrait aussi être en Toscane). Le goût est serré mais le vin reste élégant, alerte, avec un jus concentré, fin, vivant, long … rafraichissant. Il faudrait comparer à San Leonardo (Trentin), en particulier.

Thanks for the disclaimer. Best one I’ve so far was the 1996 at around 8 years of age, while good, I would tend to side with Ian (" it just seemed to be polished (and veneered) into anonymity").