TN: 2016 Gérard Boulay Sancerre La Comtesse Monts Damnés

• 2016 Gérard Boulay Sancerre La Comtesse Monts Damnés - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (12/3/2018)
    This is just lovely…initially it seemed to be all power and oomph. However after a good 30 minutes in the glass it’s settled down and transitioned into a thing of beauty and elegance. The nose offers up yellow apple, lime, chalk, and quince. On the palate the acidity crashes in almost immediately like a wave against a rocky shoreline followed by lithe hints of lime, green apple, leading into the mid palate with pineapple, and passion fruit closing up along the finish. What a lovely wine. I like this so much I’ll probably serve it at my wedding as one of the whites…Outstanding!!!

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note Kirk. Boulay is my go-to for good Sauv Blanc. They always seem to achieve a nice balance of fresh fruit and classic lines.

Lucky wedding guests!!

Wedding? I always thought you were married already!

Nope…just got engaged the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I’m lucky that she’s letting me pick all the wedding wines because it’s going to be a small wedding (20-22 people).

Congratulations and good luck Kirk.

Kirk, the “regular” Mont Damnes from 2016 is also deelish. [cheers.gif]

Congrats on the upcoming marriage.

Thank you…my best man has “donated” a magnum of 2007 Didier Dagueneau Pouilly-Fumé Buisson Renard…so it’s only going to get a little crazier as we really start to lock in some excellent wines that should be nice for all that join us.

As to this wine…I keep going back and thinking about this in the context of a magnum of the 2015 La Cote I opened from Boulay after the funeral for my grandfather. These wines really are more about finesse and poise than others. I love the strait Monts Damnés from Boulay…but these really help step it up a notch and may be where I start focusing more of my wine dollars over the next few years while they’re still reasonably priced given the quality.