TN: Burgs, Rhones, Piedmont, and Krug

BURGS, RHONES, PIEDMONT, AND KRUG - (12/1/2018)

The theme for Saturday’s tasting was shotgun (aka bring whatever you’d like) and we had a decent assortment of wines.
White Burgundy
A mixed bag of white Burgundies. The Ramonet was only lightly oxidized and even showed the trademark peppermint until TCA became apparent. I just can’t win with 1996 white Burgundies.

Red Burgundies and Pinot Noirs
I’m including the New World Pinot Noirs with the red Burgundies, as I think these two will appeal to a lot of Burgundy fans. They more than held their own in this group.

• 1999 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Vougeot 1er Cru Les Petits Vougeots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vougeot 1er Cru
    Bright cherry with a touch of leather, still showing good acidic and tannic structure, it punches above its weight. (91 pts.)
  • 2006 Nicolas Potel Beaune 1er Cru Teurons - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru
    Cherry with a touch of menthol, drinking well. (89 pts.)
  • 2005 Jean-Claude Boisset Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru
    Painfully reduced, it showed little other than a not-unpleasant sauerkraut aroma even after it had been open for a few hours. NR (flawed)
  • 2011 Adelsheim Pinot Noir Bryan Creek Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains
    Tart black cherry with a pepper and little fresh green bean (think fresh picked haricot verts) which turns into evergreen bough with air. Lovely. (92 pts.)
  • 2012 Lioco Pinot Noir Klindt Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley
    Blackberry and plummy dark fruit with a touch of spice, nimble but concentrated with lively acidity, an excellent and elegant example of “deep end” Anderson Valley Pinot Noir. (92 pts.)
  • 2009 Marchand & Tawse / Pascal Marchand Clos St. Denis - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos St. Denis Grand Cru
    Beautiful spicy tart cherry, with a bit of black pepper, great depth and freshness, it brilliantly combines power and grace. (94 pts.)
  • 2012 Méo-Camuzet Frère et Sœurs Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Cras - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    On the tart side, but with a lot of concentration, not immediately impressive but it kept growing on me and I may be under rating it. (89 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Anne Gros Echezeaux Les Loachausses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru
    I don’t care for the combination of very ripe sweet dark cherry fruit with a touch of spice and astringent tannin, it needs time and won’t surprise me if it improves dramatically with age. (89 pts.)

Rhones

Piedmont
A pretty nice selection showing the diversity of styles that Nebbiolo can exhibit.

The Others
Any day that includes vintage Krug is a good day.

• 2000 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut - France, Champagne
    Lemony and mineral on the nose with a touch of yeast, it has picked up a hint of nutty richness on the palate while still showing great freshness. Splendid. (93 pts.)
  • 2010 Charles Joguet Chinon Clos de la Dioterie - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon
    Dark fruit with a touch of pyrazine complexity, still a baby but quite nice. (91 pts.)

There was about 20% of the bottle of the 1985 Fonsalette remaining after the tasting, which I threw in the fridge and tried again last night and it was still showing very well. I’m very disappointed that this was my last bottle, as it still has plenty of life left in it.

Very nice notes as usual, Mike. I particularly liked the note about the Adelsheim – a producer I enjoyed early in my wine journey, but which I haven’t had in several years. Thank you.