Futures

I am a fairly new wine collector. I like wine futures but I typically only get 1 to 2 every year. I am hoping for some help on making good decisions on which ones to purchase. My typical way is looking at scores but I am open to other methods of judging which futures to buy. My budget is typically $1000 plus or minus a few dollars. I am not fixed on 1 to 2 but I do like quality of quantity, any thoughts? Oh and I almost forgot, If it’s not a good year for futures, then other bottles to buy that are worth aging.

What kinds of wines do you prefer? And why do you like futures? Usually, the reason to buy them is (a) to save money or (b) lock in wines that won’t be easy to obtain.

Relying on scores only works if you trust the reviewer(s).

If it’s a poor vintage, why buy at all? Spend the money on other wines.

My suggestion is not to buy futures. :slight_smile:

I originally started buying futures bc I like the process of aging wines and to lock in ones that may be cheaper now versus later. I always had this thought of building a wine collection that I could enjoy when I retire which is in 30 years or so. I really haven’t found a wine type I dislike.

Why not futures?

The day of futures has sunset. It really makes little sense these days. There is such a wealth of fine Bordeaux in the marketplace, that invariably the wine you bought on futures comes back on retail sale at a price that is at, barely above, and sometimes even below, futures price. Sure some shoot up a bit, especially if they get really highly Parker scores, but not all. I think futures could make a little bit of sense for the sake of (1) convenience, (2) small production Bordeaux and (3) formats other than 750. I buy a fair bit of Bordeaux, and saving a few bucks has rarely been the impetus to buy futures for at least 10+ years (perhaps back in the day, it made more sense). I bought a smattering of 2014s in futures solely because my local retailer had great, varied offerings, making it highly convenience for me. I have since doubled-down on some wines for prices barely above futures pricing, and in the case of some additional Sociando Mallet, for around what I paid in futures. Pay now, and you carry the risk of contract performance as well. Retailers do fail from time to time, and they are sitting on your money. Keep that in mind.

Are you sure you like 30 yr old wine?

All good points. But what do you think of Ridge Monte Bello futures?

A bit different than Bdx in that there’s typically a bigger discount which makes it worth it, IMO.

Agreed! Plus they are good when toddlered / babycaked / bottlerobbed / PremQuaffed or whatever we’re calling it these days

Are you talking Bordeaux? Napa cabernet?

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned in favor of futures is the guarantee of provenance. With all the fakes floating about in the market, there may be good reasons to consider futures if you are buying collectible wines. At this point, the budget you mention probably won’t take you very far into that league, but as it changes you could well find yourself buying wines that you may wish to guarantee their origin and condition.

Well I have been buying just Bordeaux but I’m really interested in domestic wines as well. I did purchase a bionic Frog 2016, that I plan to age. I like reserving things so I don’t have to try and buy it when it finally comes out. Plus I’m typically only interested in aging 1-2 wines per year. The rest I buy to drink now or in the near future

Domestic futures sold online?

Is there much benefit from aging Bionic Frog?

From what I read they shine with some time in the bottle.

Hi James
Welcome to the forum.

At $1000 for around 20 wines, you should be able to get some decent wines, though one problem with futures is it’s limiting you to 12 (or these days perhaps 6) bottles of a single wine, so you don’t get a lot of variety.

Predicting what you’ll like in the future is quite difficult, as tastes do change over time, but perhaps more importantly new interests emerge, so if you’re happily buying Pauillac every year and suddenly discover the joys of Sangiovese or Mencia, then you’ve now got a cellar focused on wines you have liked, but you no longer find as exciting as the new interest. It’s often good to hedge your bets, by laying some down, but allowing a proportion of your budget to explore (that might be anywhere from 10% to 90%)

Many of us enjoy the act of cellaring, and it sounds like you are of that view. It does help to work out exactly what you seek:

• A fine cellar of wines
  • A really flexible cellar allowing you to choose from a wide selection to match mood, food or company, but accepting there will be a lot of singletons
  • A cellar that is tightly focused to your favourites, which you’re happy to have in quantity. Good if you’re going to stay tightly focused on a specific style (or styles) for those 30 years
  • A core of special occasion wines, supported by a rotating stock of more everyday wines
  • A cellar that really allows you to get to grips with what effect ageing has on wines and to share the journey of a full case

There is no ‘right’ answer, except for the one(s) that motivates you the most. Knowing that will really help focus your buying.

In terms of critics, learn to read the notes and ignore not just the scores, but also any stream of superlatives. Focus on what aromas, flavours, textures etc. appeal to you. Always better to taste yourself though, as it’s your money getting spent, not that critic who is blasting through 100+ tasting samples a day, and who may have significantly different palate preferences to you.

There are other strategies, including taking a view that investments are a sober decision, and wine is for enjoying i.e. invest the money you have, and buy whatever mature examples you want, when you want them. This might sound cold-blooded, and it’s not for me (as I said, I enjoy the act of cellaring and choosing wines to cellar), but it is a way of insuring yourself against a major change in tastes and a cellar full of wines that aren’t as interesting as you thought at the time.

One other financial consideration - every future is a risk. If the vendor goes belly up, then you may never see the wine you’ve paid for. This does happen, and there are bandits out there who will even plan it this way (“fleecing rich folk is like a victimless crime innit?”). Sometimes even the most reputable companies go under, and you’d be last in line to get your money back, or the wine you paid for. Use credit card for purchases to reduce the risk.

I hope this helps - it’s not specific recommendations, as I think understanding your aim with great clarity should come first, then comes what do you like now and what are you looking for for either “more of the same” or “something slightly or significantly different”. Far easier to recommend if you say “I like Sonoma syrah, but I’d also like to have something a bit more savoury available”, or “I’d like ideas for red wines that drink great out of the gate, but will last and develop significantly over 30 years”.

Regards
Ian

I think mostly I cellar that closely resembles my wife’s and I taste. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

James, you need to consider that your taste in wine may change markedly over 30 years, BDX is like a gateway drug that can lead to a lifetime of addiction.

The best Bordeaux I’ve had has been from Italy. Blasphemy I know but Italian wines are my favorite