TN: Three Matthiassons...(short/boring)

Tried these three over the last few weeks:

1. Matthiasson Chard MichaelMaraVnyd/SonomaCoast (134.3%) 2015: Med.yellow color; some stony/mineral light honeudew/melony/Chard/slight pineapple bit floral rather pleasant/simple nose; quite tart/lean some chalky/mineral light Chard/honeydew melon rather simple/clean flavor; long light honeydew melon/Chard bit chalky/mineral/perfumed talc quite tart/lean pleasant/simple finish; a pleasant/clean/simple Chard that just leaves me wanting more; rather on the lean/pinched/eviscerated side. $55.00

1. Matthiasson Calif Rose Wine (11.5%; Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre/Counoise) 2017: Med.copper/salmon color; quite fragrant cranberry/watermelon/pomengranate some spicy/cinammon very attractive nose; quite tart/tangy/acid strong cranberryy/pomengranate very spicy/cinammon brisk/bracing/juicy flavor; very long very tart/tangy/bit metallic strong watermelon/cranberry/pomengranate rather spicy/cinammon finish; an altogether brisk/bracing/bright/juicy/spicy rose. $24.00

1. Matthiasson Lagrein LonePineVnyd/ElDoradoCnty (11.8%) 2015: Very dark color; strong plummy/black cherry cola/bit boysenberry somewhat earthy/loamy bit rustic rather classic Lagrein nose; rather tart/lean/bit hard strong Lagrein/plummy/black cherry cola/bit boysenberry fairly earthy/loamy/rustic flavor w/ modest tangy tannins; very long rather tart/tangy/lean strong Lagrein/plummy/black cherry cola rather earthy/loamy/bit mushroomy w/ light brittle tannins; a pretty good expression of Sudtirol Lagrein w/ the ElDorado terroir giving the Sudtirol earthy/loamy character often found in those wines; but not as soft/lush as those Lagreins; on the lean/brittle side and would like a bit more soft/lush character; very interesting Lagrein. $40.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. I was expecting the Rose to be on Steve’s lean/spare side. It was not. It was packed w/ flavor. Some of the grapes for this come from the WindmillVnyd in the DunniganHills in SolanoCnty…not a place noted for quality grapes. Probably a large part of the character in this wine comes from the 60+ yr old Grenache, goblet pruned, on the GibsonRanch in the McDowellVlly. Seems like a bit of a waste to use such great grapes in a rose, though.
    This is Steve’s first stab at Legrein. Sourcing from ElDoradoCnty probably gives the earthy/loamy character that you find in Sudtirol Lagreins. Lagrein is a descendant of Teroldego and related to Syrah & PinotNoir in some unclear way.
    Tom

Thanks for the notes.

We drank through a 6 pack of the rose earlier this year, and in all honesty, found it pretty dire, to the point where we were drinking it to get rid of it for space. I guess it must have turned a corner.

Tom, how do you pronounce Lagrein?

Well, Craig…I’m from Kansas…we don’t speak very well or pronounce…we’re all hicks.
But I’ve only heard it pronounced La-Grine…as in La-Crime.
Tom

I thought the Matthiasson '17 rose was absolutely one of the very best of the vintage. Delicious!

Tom - how would you compare the Lagrein to the top Italian versions, like Nusserhof - Heinrich Mayr or Terlano?

The California Italian wines have gotten interesting, but many cases the prices are pretty close to the better wines of Italy.

FWIW, I also did not love the Mara chard that I tried; I forget the year. The Napa Valley white, with alot of ribolla, on the other hand, is always a winner.

I had the ‘15 Mara Chard with Thanksgiving dinner and loved it.

I had a bottle of the 17 Rose a few months back. It was brisk and refreshing - exactly what Steve and Jill say that they are after with their rose. Will it ‘add body’ with time in bottle? Most likely . . . but at only 11.5%, my guess is that it will still appear to be ‘lean’ to most folks.

Cheers.

I think everything Steve and Jill do is interesting. He’s not afraid to take the road less traveled and follow his passion. It’s been very educational.

I appreciate that and support the cause. Much like Larry.

If you can find their Pinot Meunier, give it a whirl.