TN: 2001 Arcadian Syrah Robert O. Fleming Cuvée Garys' Vineyard

Popped my last bottle of this beauty last night to celebrate my vintage 2001 son’s bday.
Drank along with some HolyGrail Steak American wagyu ribeyes that were right tasty.
The wine continues to shine. Really a triumph of California Syrah. The highest heights.
And it’s not yet ready to go quietly into that good night. Wish I had more.
Nice work Joe! And a fitting homage to my buddy Bob Fleming, who I don’t see enough as I’d like these days.

• 2001 Arcadian Syrah Robert O. Fleming Cuvée Garys’ Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (12/3/2018)
    Still showing those rich meaty and irony notes. It’s inky in the glass. Long and dark. Like the last bottle, the first sip feels tight, slightly angular. Let it alone. Splashed in the decanter, twenty minutes later, there’s a salty/meaty element, black olive and the back side shows a cool mint note that stays with you. The wine still has a youthful verve that betrays the vintage on the label. At the one hour in the decanter mark…it really pops to reveal layers of black pepper and dark fruit, meat and iron linger. Balance of acid, dark fruit, iron…Savory. Acid streak. This wine just keeps kicking. Fabulous! Kudos, Joe!

Posted from CellarTracker

Had this with Joe when I visited in July and he generously opened for us to try. He himself felt it was ready to drink now.

"2001 Arcadian Garys’ Syrah Bob Fleming Cuvee

We finished with a wine Joe feels is ready to drink. And great fun, since I know BT myself. So Joe gleefully told me the “label tales”, how it first ended up as “Robert O’Fleming” and then “Roberto Fleming” before the labelers finally got it right! They were 4 year vines and this checks in at 13.8% Joe told me that he did the root grafting for the PN for Pisoni and Francioni and in return he got to plant 5 acres of Syrah. Some pencil shavings, some baked herbs, black cassis and blackberry in the aromatics. Palate is definitely ready to drink. Beginning of its window, very sappy, sticky fruit—cries for a steak or southern pulled pork. So much guts to the wine."

Mike-
Having drank this last night! (with steak!), your note speaks right to me.
We are in total agreement. Such a great wine.
Cheers.