Somm 3

I just watched Somm 3.
I must admit I really found Somm 1 fresh and interesting. Somm 2 was not as good, but interesting and in line with the theme.
I just watched Somm 3 and was extremely disappointed. It is not about the heart and soul of wine but about the new pinots from Rajat Parr.
It is not that I dislike Parr, he is a superstar, but it is just that the movie was poorly made.
You are making a movie about “great” American and French Pinot tasting and you do not include Marcassin, Kistler, Pisoni, Rousseaau, Leroy, DRC.
My compliments to JR, SP, and FD, they are the stars of this movie.
Please do not make a Somm 4!

In Pursuit Of Sequels.

Funny you posted this as I just finished watching as well. You hit the nail on the head! Only addition was the blind tasting Mr. Dame did at the beginning, unreal. I’d pay to watch him blind taste!

I made a similar comment on this thread. Was a disappointment, especially given the hype in the trailer.

Is this out to the public already? I cant find it.

Pisoni…really?

If they had included DRC and Leroy people would bitch that it was a vanity tasting.

Not sure why people can’t just have fun anymore.

Its available via iTunes, Amazon etc.

Watched it and it was a decent movie. Few take away:

1. Spurrier said how if he were do to a tasting like 1976 today it will be on Pinot.

2. Fred’s tasting skills. Wow.

3. The alcohol on Ridge 1967! And discussions around that.

4. Even among the very best, with similar palate and thoughts, one could pick a different wine. There is no “best”.

Having tasted all the wines that were poured (5/6 wines) it was fun for me to observe the conclusions, as they were being analyzed. And I did agree on most of them (including chacra and Lingua Franca).

Blooms field might be drinkable now and the texture is very similar to d’angerville. But in 15 yrs the champans should soften up and express far more complexity. And I do find Bachelet’s wines have bit too much oak for my taste.

Each one has their take on whats the best, both in burgundy and in the new world. Just relax and enjoy.

1 Like

My other complaint is that I adore d’Angerville Volnays. I worry the impact on the price (which were already expensive).

I woudn’t worry. This is not a historic event that’s flashed across major new channels and recorded in Smithsonian. Its a fun movie on a Sunday night for some wine geeks nothing more.

If anything people might scramble to buy Raj’s wines. Good as blooms field was, its a from a very young vineyard (planted in 2007 I think). Will be interesting to see how it turns up in 15 years.

I actually enjoyed it. Probably not as good as the first 2, but entertaining nonetheless. Maybe my expectations were lower then others? I also made the film more interactive by opening a bottle of Raj’s wine and sipping while viewing. Lots of great scenery and interesting characters. I wish there were 10 more films in the Somm series.

I enjoyed it a lot. Just a fun 90 minutes on a topic i’m interested in. Not expecting it to win any awards or anything…

Is it on Netflix and Prime? And do you have to pay for it on either format?

1 Like

I only agree with half your opinion. It was definitely, not good. Drinking a bunch of legendary wines that no one can own isn’t exactly what I think of when I think of a “Somm”. If you haven’t read the Bobby Stuckey thread I started, it’s worth a read :slight_smile: It definitely touches on this topic.

$5.99 to rent and like $14 to buy. I rented but didn’t mind paying since I hope they make more and it supports the film maker

I found it a bit pointless. I enjoyed some of the discussions but really couldn’t get behind the idea of redoing the Judgment of Paris theme with Pinot.

Watched and enjoyed the first two agree 1 was way better then 2. My question is What wines should be paired for Somm 3? And don’t say a disappointing wine… GRIN [cheers.gif]

I loved Somm 2. Of course I know a ton of the featured winemakers, so that helped, but I keep watching it. The cinematography is great. Beautiful views.

I enjoyed Somm 2 more than the first one. I mean drinking at DRC and he opens and 04! Hah.

I will be renting Somm 3. Maybe tonight.

Jason

Director of the films here, thanks for watching. A couple things - completely agree with a lot of this thread, but understand we did not redo the judgement of paris. We tried (and may have failed) at trying to show the importance and futility in judging wine. Hopefully it was at least entertaining. Also in Somm 2, we asked Aubert to open the 2004. Lucky to make these movies.

1 Like

Jason

Why the 04 ?