Somm 3

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
R Garcia

Somm 3

#1 Post by R Garcia » December 2nd, 2018, 7:47 pm

I just watched Somm 3.
I must admit I really found Somm 1 fresh and interesting. Somm 2 was not as good, but interesting and in line with the theme.
I just watched Somm 3 and was extremely disappointed. It is not about the heart and soul of wine but about the new pinots from Rajat Parr.
It is not that I dislike Parr, he is a superstar, but it is just that the movie was poorly made.
You are making a movie about "great" American and French Pinot tasting and you do not include Marcassin, Kistler, Pisoni, Rousseaau, Leroy, DRC.
My compliments to JR, SP, and FD, they are the stars of this movie.
Please do not make a Somm 4!

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Somm 3

#2 Post by Nate Simon » December 2nd, 2018, 7:51 pm

In Pursuit Of Sequels.

EricE

#3 Post by EricE » December 2nd, 2018, 7:54 pm

R Garcia wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 7:47 pm
I just watched Somm 3.
I must admit I really found Somm 1 fresh and interesting. Somm 2 was not as good, but interesting and in line with the theme.
I just watched Somm 3 and was extremely disappointed. It is not about the heart and soul of wine but about the new pinots from Rajat Parr.
It is not that I dislike Parr, he is a superstar, but it is just that the movie was poorly made.
You are making a movie about "great" American and French Pinot tasting and you do not include Marcassin, Kistler, Pisoni, Rousseaau, Leroy, DRC.
Funny you posted this as I just finished watching as well. You hit the nail on the head! Only addition was the blind tasting Mr. Dame did at the beginning, unreal. I’d pay to watch him blind taste!
Est3nson

Tim McCracken

#4 Post by Tim McCracken » December 3rd, 2018, 1:22 am

I made a similar comment on this thread. Was a disappointment, especially given the hype in the trailer.

YLee

#5 Post by YLee » December 3rd, 2018, 5:00 am

Is this out to the public already? I cant find it.
-Yong

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 3rd, 2018, 5:24 am

R Garcia wrote:
I just watched Somm 3.
Pisoni...really?

If they had included DRC and Leroy people would bitch that it was a vanity tasting.

Not sure why people can’t just have fun anymore.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Subu Ramachandran

#7 Post by Subu Ramachandran » December 3rd, 2018, 5:51 am

Its available via iTunes, Amazon etc.

Watched it and it was a decent movie. Few take away:

1. Spurrier said how if he were do to a tasting like 1976 today it will be on Pinot.

2. Fred's tasting skills. Wow.

3. The alcohol on Ridge 1967! And discussions around that.

4. Even among the very best, with similar palate and thoughts, one could pick a different wine. There is no "best".

Having tasted all the wines that were poured (5/6 wines) it was fun for me to observe the conclusions, as they were being analyzed. And I did agree on most of them (including chacra and Lingua Franca).

Blooms field might be drinkable now and the texture is very similar to d'angerville. But in 15 yrs the champans should soften up and express far more complexity. And I do find Bachelet's wines have bit too much oak for my taste.

Each one has their take on whats the best, both in burgundy and in the new world. Just relax and enjoy.

Tim McCracken

#8 Post by Tim McCracken » December 3rd, 2018, 7:02 am

My other complaint is that I adore d'Angerville Volnays. I worry the impact on the price (which were already expensive).

Subu Ramachandran

#9 Post by Subu Ramachandran » December 3rd, 2018, 7:10 am

I woudn't worry. This is not a historic event that's flashed across major new channels and recorded in Smithsonian. Its a fun movie on a Sunday night for some wine geeks nothing more.

If anything people might scramble to buy Raj's wines. Good as blooms field was, its a from a very young vineyard (planted in 2007 I think). Will be interesting to see how it turns up in 15 years.

rgallagher
Contributor
Contributor

#10 Post by rgallagher » December 3rd, 2018, 9:22 am

I actually enjoyed it. Probably not as good as the first 2, but entertaining nonetheless. Maybe my expectations were lower then others? I also made the film more interactive by opening a bottle of Raj's wine and sipping while viewing. Lots of great scenery and interesting characters. I wish there were 10 more films in the Somm series.
r y a n

Jeff P

#11 Post by Jeff P » December 3rd, 2018, 9:52 am

I enjoyed it a lot. Just a fun 90 minutes on a topic i'm interested in. Not expecting it to win any awards or anything...
Jeff P-a.r e - n t

Ian Dorin
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#12 Post by Ian Dorin » December 3rd, 2018, 12:05 pm

Is it on Netflix and Prime? And do you have to pay for it on either format?
ITB, Amanti Vino

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Ian Dorin
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#13 Post by Ian Dorin » December 3rd, 2018, 12:07 pm

R Garcia wrote:
Somm 2 was not as good, but interesting and in line with the theme.
I only agree with half your opinion. It was definitely, not good. Drinking a bunch of legendary wines that no one can own isn't exactly what I think of when I think of a "Somm". If you haven't read the Bobby Stuckey thread I started, it's worth a read :) It definitely touches on this topic.
ITB, Amanti Vino

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Jeff P

#14 Post by Jeff P » December 3rd, 2018, 12:49 pm

Ian Dorin wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 12:05 pm
Is it on Netflix and Prime? And do you have to pay for it on either format?
$5.99 to rent and like $14 to buy. I rented but didn't mind paying since I hope they make more and it supports the film maker
Jeff P-a.r e - n t

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by T. Altmayer » December 3rd, 2018, 3:35 pm

I found it a bit pointless. I enjoyed some of the discussions but really couldn’t get behind the idea of redoing the Judgment of Paris theme with Pinot.
Tom

T.L. Reasoner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by T.L. Reasoner » December 3rd, 2018, 5:02 pm

Watched and enjoyed the first two agree 1 was way better then 2. My question is What wines should be paired for Somm 3? And don't say a disappointing wine... GRIN [cheers.gif]
Aloha,

Tracy

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 3rd, 2018, 5:45 pm

Ian Dorin wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 12:07 pm
R Garcia wrote:
I only agree with half your opinion. It was definitely, not good. Drinking a bunch of legendary wines that no one can own isn't exactly what I think of when I think of a "Somm". If you haven't read the Bobby Stuckey thread I started, it's worth a read :) It definitely touches on this topic.
I loved Somm 2. Of course I know a ton of the featured winemakers, so that helped, but I keep watching it. The cinematography is great. Beautiful views.

Jason Hagen

#18 Post by Jason Hagen » December 3rd, 2018, 6:34 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 5:45 pm
Ian Dorin wrote:
R Garcia wrote:
I loved Somm 2. Of course I know a ton of the featured winemakers, so that helped, but I keep watching it. The cinematography is great. Beautiful views.
I enjoyed Somm 2 more than the first one. I mean drinking at DRC and he opens and 04! Hah.

I will be renting Somm 3. Maybe tonight.

Jason

Jason Wise

#19 Post by Jason Wise » December 3rd, 2018, 11:00 pm

Director of the films here, thanks for watching. A couple things - completely agree with a lot of this thread, but understand we did not redo the judgement of paris. We tried (and may have failed) at trying to show the importance and futility in judging wine. Hopefully it was at least entertaining. Also in Somm 2, we asked Aubert to open the 2004. Lucky to make these movies.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Alan Eden » December 3rd, 2018, 11:21 pm

Jason

Why the 04 ?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Jason T » December 3rd, 2018, 11:51 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 5:45 pm
Ian Dorin wrote:
R Garcia wrote:
I loved Somm 2 as well for the reasons David pointed out. Did they drink some fancy wines that I will never consider rationale (for me) to purchase? Sure. But I felt that was a small part of the overall story.
J@son Tr@ughber

John Kight

#22 Post by John Kight » December 4th, 2018, 6:58 am

Subu Ramachandran wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 5:51 am

4. Even among the very best, with similar palate and thoughts, one could pick a different wine. There is no "best".
I always find it so funny that people focus on "best" with wine. You never hear them do this with people (E.G. "Who is the best person you love?" "Who was the best person you met at the party?" "Who is the best person in the world?"). As with people, there are lots of great ones, each with its own merits, flaws, quirks, outstanding characteristics, special appeal, etc. There may be certain occasions on which you would enjoy being with one more than another, but that could easily change on another occasion. Yet with wine, everyone wants to rank them and declare a "best"....When it comes to people, I guess everyone instinctively understands that there are enough sweet, fun, intelligent and good people in the world that it makes no sense to "allocate" your love and focus on just one individual.

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Casey Hartlip » December 4th, 2018, 7:17 am

Interesting enough I guess. I've been around enough blind tastings with very talented winemakers many times over the years. That tasting of the Pinots seemed pretty business as usual.
Ordway's Valley Foothills

Subu Ramachandran

#24 Post by Subu Ramachandran » December 4th, 2018, 7:31 am

John Kight wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 6:58 am
Subu Ramachandran wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 5:51 am

I always find it so funny that people focus on "best" with wine. You never hear them do this with people (E.G. "Who is the best person you love?" "Who was the best person you met at the party?" "Who is the best person in the world?"). As with people, there are lots of great ones, each with its own merits, flaws, quirks, outstanding characteristics, special appeal, etc. There may be certain occasions on which you would enjoy being with one more than another, but that could easily change on another occasion. Yet with wine, everyone wants to rank them and declare a "best"....When it comes to people, I guess everyone instinctively understands that there are enough sweet, fun, intelligent and good people in the world that it makes no sense to "allocate" your love and focus on just one individual.
John, well said!

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 4th, 2018, 8:23 am

The blind tastings in Somm 3 were instructive, in that professionals had widely divergent opinions. It was neat to see Steven Spurrier say that a highly pedigreed Burgundy was not what he wanted in Pinot Noir.

While I found the larger Pinot tasting to be a bit scattershot, it did still end with interesting results.

Let's face it, most of us would have loved to be in the room when either of the blind tastings were happening.

On the wines from Somm 2, I have a different view than some have expressed. OK, so maybe I have not tasted 1962 Trimbach Clos Ste. Hune, but I have drank other vintages. I have not had 1966 Mondavi Reserve Cabernet, but I have had other vintages. Same goes for Dom Ruinart vintage Champagne, Chave Hermitage, and Penfolds Grange. Even the DRC was not some unobtanium wine (as it was not La Tache or RC). Not sure why picking legendary vintages of meaningful wines is an issue.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#26 Post by larry schaffer » December 4th, 2018, 8:25 am

Jason Wise wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 11:00 pm
Director of the films here, thanks for watching. A couple things - completely agree with a lot of this thread, but understand we did not redo the judgement of paris. We tried (and may have failed) at trying to show the importance and futility in judging wine. Hopefully it was at least entertaining. Also in Somm 2, we asked Aubert to open the 2004. Lucky to make these movies.
Jason,

First off, thanks for popping in here! Curious how you heard about this board and from whom?

Second, and pardon me for my ignorance, but have you directed all 3 or is this the first one? And how did this film 'evolve' differently than the other ones, from inception to final filming?

Last, who is your 'target audience' when crafting these films and what are you trying to 'convey'?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Tim McCracken

#27 Post by Tim McCracken » December 4th, 2018, 10:51 am

Jason Wise wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 11:00 pm
Hi Jason, thanks for joining in the discussion.

Perhaps part of the letdown for me was the expectation set in the trailer was not met. Had I not watched the trailer, would I have enjoyed the film more? Possibly. But then again, the trailer is what drew me in personally, as I had a connection with both some of the people and the places.

FWIW, despite my critique of Somm 3, I found all of them to be entertaining and a nice view into the world of wine.

Jason Wise

#28 Post by Jason Wise » December 4th, 2018, 11:01 am

My pleasure, there are some really great things to be learned on these boards, I have sort of followed for years, but just decided to pop in. Trust me, no filmmaker thinks everyone will like their movies so no offense taken - honestly this film (part 3) was pretty wild in that we had no idea what was going to happen and sort of had to work backwards in the editing. I hope the message is not that there is a "Best wine", but I do hope it inspires a conversation.

I have directed, and edited (and produced, and wrote if needed, and slept on floors, and been broke through) all of three of the SOMM films.

Honestly I am not from any kind of wine background and have no idea how the hell I am here on my third wine film - I just made a film about a 94 year old actress who was connected to the mob, and my next film is about sea urchin divers. As a filmmaker I am in love with history and wine is an incredible vessel for that. I don't know what the target audience is outside of people who are interested in food and wine, but more than that, energy that is out there. I think any good documentary is about energy you didn't know existed (grizzly man, king of kong, pumping ion) so i just try to capture what is happening, but of course we edit so it ends up being subjective.

I hope this makes any sense hahaha

Tim McCracken

#29 Post by Tim McCracken » December 4th, 2018, 11:43 am

For someone that doesn't have any wine background, you really nailed Somm 2. It is the perfect selection of the great wine regions of the world. And including aged wines is something truly special. FWIW, I opened a 69 Dom Ruinart with a friend while we watched Somm 2. It was amazing (although not as effervescent as in the film, since it wasn't directly from the cellar).

Alan C h a n

#30 Post by Alan C h a n » December 4th, 2018, 11:44 am

I understand the take of those who are saying “just enjoy it”, because I will still be ready to fork over my rental fee for as many of these SOMM movies as the Wises make. That being said, as both a wine geek and someone who has worked in film, I have a number of observations/criticisms about SOMM 3.

First of all, I feel the hand of the filmmakers on the scales more in this film than the others. There are always myriad choices made by the filmmakers that are not so apparent, but in SOMM 1, the stakes were real and simple - it was about following 4 characters who were up against a common thing and were going to have definitive outcomes. Arguably it was not really about wine as much as those people and the human interest aspect. In SOMM 2, you had the built-in stories that flowed from the history of the great estates, and the filmmakers had to weave in the somm aspect. Because it was more about the wine, I might’ve enjoyed the sequel even more, though I’m not sure if that was true for non-wine-geek general viewers.

SOMM 3 doesn’t have that same clarity of purpose when it comes to story. You might argue that a good part of the movie is about following the stories of Jancis, Spurrier and Dame, but those are stories with no dramatic tension, and to be honest those stories are undermined a bit by a bit too much hyperbole and screen time spent trying to convince you why each of these three are insanely important. The dramatic tension is left to the Judgment of Pinot subplot but even that has its flaws that undercut its impact. It’s not a true best of the best comparison in my view. Excellent producers from Burgundy chosen, but not grand cru; all young wines chosen, which in a way doesn’t allow for as much separation; the selection of CA and OR pinots made by somms instead of top established wines from those regions. I get that you may need that extra link to somms in recognition that this is not just a film about wine but a SOMM-titled film, but it undercut the significance of the tasting that the results were a bit contrived because of the above choices.

The interesting thing is that the table is set for a SOMM sequel that does match the first film in human interest with real stakes - namely, a doc about the recent nullified exam, the reasons why the leaker did what he did, why the CMS decided to act as they did, and the impact on exam takers and their ultimate outcomes. Unfortunately it may be a movie that is difficult if not impossible to make because the key people may not have any interest in talking about any of it for a film (though I think there’s a real opportunity here for the CMS to make clearer why they came to the decisions they did without having to make official pronouncements). It may take people of stature outside the CMS to really talk frankly about what all went down and its implications without fear of blowback from peers.

Since Jason the director is on the thread, here are some nitty things that would bother me if I were on the filmmaking team - not sure if you have an opportunity for re-delivery of the film to digital outlets but there were oddities in the captioning of the film. Two that leap to mind:
-about the D’Angerville, a somm (maybe Arvind?) remarks that it’s Chambollesque I believe, but the caption says Chambordesque. The difference matters.
-Dustin says “premier cru” and the captions say “from your crew”. Felt like there were tons of these maybe less significant errors.

Like I said, I still enjoyed the film but I hope you find some of this helpful, Jason. Appreciate you being willing to be part of the discussion here.
The Amateur Wino wine blog

Ian Dorin
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#31 Post by Ian Dorin » December 4th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Jason Wise wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 11:01 am
My pleasure, there are some really great things to be learned on these boards, I have sort of followed for years, but just decided to pop in. Trust me, no filmmaker thinks everyone will like their movies so no offense taken - honestly this film (part 3) was pretty wild in that we had no idea what was going to happen and sort of had to work backwards in the editing. I hope the message is not that there is a "Best wine", but I do hope it inspires a conversation.

I have directed, and edited (and produced, and wrote if needed, and slept on floors, and been broke through) all of three of the SOMM films.

Honestly I am not from any kind of wine background and have no idea how the hell I am here on my third wine film - I just made a film about a 94 year old actress who was connected to the mob, and my next film is about sea urchin divers. As a filmmaker I am in love with history and wine is an incredible vessel for that. I don't know what the target audience is outside of people who are interested in food and wine, but more than that, energy that is out there. I think any good documentary is about energy you didn't know existed (grizzly man, king of kong, pumping ion) so i just try to capture what is happening, but of course we edit so it ends up being subjective.

I hope this makes any sense hahaha
Appreciate you joining in as well. Since you seem open to feedback, I'd love to throw you some from a different perspective....my wife.

First off, my wife really doesn't know wine, and heavily relies on me for her consumption. She has become a "snob" (some would say, since her taste is getting expensive, and things like Prosecco and Cava no longer work for her), but frankly she has a good pallet for wine.

She really enjoyed Somm since it showed a lot of detail in the day to day life of someone in the business. She thought it was interesting to see the process. Somm 2 didn't hit her so much as she had the take away of "I'd rather be drinking with them to learn what they appreciate than watching it". My takeaway was slightly different, as I have lived the good life and gotten to enjoy legendary bottles, so it was fine, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first. Having said that, we both are very much looking forward to Somm 3 since we watched the first two. Interestingly, quite a few of my non-wine educated friends who casually drink wine watched Somm, and thought that it was extremely interesting and they really enjoyed it.

Another movie my wife thought was terrific was Sour Grapes. She loved the "palace intrigue" aspect.

Not a wine movie, but my wife thought Jiro Dreams of Sushi was a like watching paint dry.

I thought this might be helpful since she isn't a wine person, but does find enjoyment in movies when they tell a great story.
ITB, Amanti Vino

EricE

#32 Post by EricE » December 4th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Tim McCracken wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 11:43 am
For someone that doesn't have any wine background, you really nailed Somm 2. It is the perfect selection of the great wine regions of the world. And including aged wines is something truly special. FWIW, I opened a 69 Dom Ruinart with a friend while we watched Somm 2. It was amazing (although not as effervescent as in the film, since it wasn't directly from the cellar).
100% agreed. For me Somm 2 was very good and the bar was set so high that Somm 3 was almost bound to disappoint.

My biggest critique of Somm 3 was that I don’t really give a dam that Raj or Spurrier are attempting to make wine/champagne or x,y,z person opened a wine store or wine bar. Give me some more history about the legends or if doing the Pinot comparison break out some big guns and see how they do. As mentioned before, I’d watch an entire installment of Fred Dame blind tasting. Give me more of that!

And also thank you Jason for stopping by! It was still well worth the $5 to watch and I hope you make more Somm’s in the future!
Last edited by EricE on December 4th, 2018, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Est3nson

Jason Hagen

#33 Post by Jason Hagen » December 4th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Jason, thanks for sharing some info.

I watched it last night and enjoyed it although the way the blind tasting was handled didn't come across as very compelling IMO. Not sure what I would do differently. And obviously, there would be so many opinions on wines to be included. For me, I am not sure of anyone who would select Lingua Franca. There are legacy producers and new producers that should have been given the nod. I have never tasted Domaine de La Côte so I can't comment there but it obviously was compelling to the tasters.

SOMM 4 - All Carole Meridith, all the time.

Just a thought.

Peace,

Jason

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Jason T » December 4th, 2018, 4:21 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Just a thought.
+1

Maybe we can turn it into a drinking game. Tip our glasses every time Carole references Tribidrag.
J@son Tr@ughber

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Alan Eden » December 5th, 2018, 6:42 am

Just watched, its OK but not particularly a fan of those big three they are all fine as individuals but that tasting was way to contrived for me. I mean drinking wines that got you excited 40-50 years ago means that they are probably fading by now, of course they do their best to promote them but it seemed false. I would prefer if the movie focused on real things like 1 & 2 rather than contrived.

Overall though its still fun to watch and im fine with the way its made
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Dennis Atick

#36 Post by Dennis Atick » December 5th, 2018, 6:49 am

Alan Eden wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 6:42 am
Just watched, its OK but not particularly a fan of those big three they are all fine as individuals but that tasting was way to contrived for me. I mean drinking wines that got you excited 40-50 years ago means that they are probably fading by now, of course they do their best to promote them but it seemed false.
Ever drink 40+ year old Monte Bello? Or Vogue? You might reconsider your statement.
I watched the movie last night. Outside of the winefolly girl, I enjoyed the movie.
David Beuker's fist post in this thread is correct.
@decaturwinedude

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 5th, 2018, 9:54 am

Jason Hagen wrote:

That's so much bullshit! ;)

Jason Hagen

#38 Post by Jason Hagen » December 5th, 2018, 9:58 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:54 am
Jason Hagen wrote:

That's so much bullshit! ;)
[cheers.gif]

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Alan Eden » December 5th, 2018, 10:01 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 6:49 am
Alan Eden wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 6:42 am
Just watched, its OK but not particularly a fan of those big three they are all fine as individuals but that tasting was way to contrived for me. I mean drinking wines that got you excited 40-50 years ago means that they are probably fading by now, of course they do their best to promote them but it seemed false.
Ever drink 40+ year old Monte Bello? Or Vogue? You might reconsider your statement.
I watched the movie last night. Outside of the winefolly girl, I enjoyed the movie.
David Beuker's fist post in this thread is correct.
My first real wine was not exotic at all, it was a 1970 Phelan Segur St estephe which i had around 1981, now it was in a good spot right then and while not a wow wine it was sufficiently better than the average plonk to get me into wine. Now it would taste like shit no fruit all dried up and tired. Lets assume Fred has been in wine since 1975, the MB then would be 7 years old, fresh, vibrant and youthful. Now its 50 years old, now im sure its still drinkable and is a lovely experience if you like ultramature wines but dont feed me any crap about a 7 year old MB tasting like a 50 year old

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Alan Eden » December 5th, 2018, 10:04 am

Although it was interesting that the Brits choose the lighter more typical wines and Fred choose the big powerful oak bomb wine. Proving yet again the Brits are sophisticated and classy and that Americans have the tastes of a Yak !1

Robert Love
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Robert Love » December 5th, 2018, 11:02 am

A big flaw in the Pinot blind tasting was the use of 2015s for the Burgundy wines, which can come across rather ripe and concentrated right now. It was doubly odd since they used 2014s for (at least some of) the American wines.

Another takeaway was the same as the Judgement of Paris: The more accessible, ready-to-drink wines won.

Dennis Atick

#42 Post by Dennis Atick » December 5th, 2018, 11:17 am

In case you want to recreate the pinot tasting, this will start you on your way [wink.gif]
https://www.vervewine.com/products/6333 ... 2972275445
@decaturwinedude

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Rich Salsano » December 6th, 2018, 6:03 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 11:17 am
In case you want to recreate the pinot tasting, this will start you on your way [wink.gif]
https://www.vervewine.com/products/6333 ... 2972275445
I saw that too. And Brian McClintic’s Viticole wine club was also offering the winning Pinot as well as part of a pack. Trying to not be skeptical but....... [whistle.gif]
Richard Salsano

Subu Ramachandran

#44 Post by Subu Ramachandran » December 6th, 2018, 11:22 am

I doubt the tastings were rigged. I can sense how Blooms field could be mistaken for a burgundy. I tasted the 2014 over a year back and it was crunchy red fruit with a silky texture, but lacked depth (its 7yr old wines). Served it for last thanksgiving and everyone liked it. Compared to 2015 red burgs. Blooms field will be easily approachable and can see how the Brits favored this.

It's not surprising the SOMMs are trying to offer the wine given the buzz.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 6th, 2018, 1:38 pm

I cannot for the life of me imagine Pascaline being part of a rigged tasting. Same for Aldo.

Marcu$ Stanley

#46 Post by Marcu$ Stanley » December 6th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Honestly, I find the Somm movies pretty cheesy, but that is also why I like them -- finally, a bunch of people who overvalue wine to the same ridiculous degree I do! This one was perhaps the cheesiest and most self-important of them all. The Judgement of Paris? MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE MOON LANDING! Fred Dame and Jancis Robinson? THE NEWTON AND EINSTEIN OF OUR TIME! Bunch of people sitting down to sip some wine? LISTEN TO THE OPERATIC MUSIC SWELL! I wish I had the Somm crew to film my wine club and tastings! Anyway, it was fun and worth renting.

I did wonder if that Fred Dame tasting of the '95 Guigal Ampuis was, well, carefully curated...not in the sense of actual lying, but in the sense that there could have been many, many less successful blind tastings left on the cutting room floor before that one was chosen. When he was tasting that final lineup of Pinots, probably a better representation of a random tasting he would do, he appeared no better than a "regular" expert in naming the wines. He even seemed to guess that one was from Otago. I really doubt any human truly has the magic tasting powers to reliably name vintages and the like.
Last edited by Marcu$ Stanley on December 6th, 2018, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcu$ Stanley

#47 Post by Marcu$ Stanley » December 6th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Of course, the most fun and cheesy wine move ever is "Bottle Shock". Alan Rickman was awesome.

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Rich Salsano » December 6th, 2018, 6:06 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 1:38 pm
I cannot for the life of me imagine Pascaline being part of a rigged tasting. Same for Aldo.
Not implying the tasting was rigged at all. Just pointing out it how it looks to have the people involved in the tasting now selling the exclusive wine that won the tasting.
Richard Salsano

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 6th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Brian McClintic was not part of the tasting.

R Garcia

#50 Post by R Garcia » December 6th, 2018, 7:23 pm

The issue is not that the tastings were rigged, it is that the wines were strangely selected.
The tasting was a little like having a beauty pageant for only moderately attractive people, say 5 to 7 out of 10, but not allowing really "beautiful" people compete.

Return to “Wine Talk”