TN: 2015 Domaine Thierry Violot-Guillemard Bourgogne (France, Burgundy, Bourgogne)

2015 Domaine Thierry Violot-Guillemard Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (12/2/2018)
Inexpensive, flavorful, lightly structured Bourgogne is always worth having, and this fits the bill. It won’t win any blind tastings, but it’s a fine dinner companion. Red fruit, subtle earthiness, and a bit of finishing tannin is exactly what I am looking for in a wine like this. Good stuff, especially for the low tariff.

Posted from CellarTracker

The only wine I’ve had from this family was this one from 3 years ago. It was splendid:

"2000 Violot-Guillemard Pommard Clos Orgelots

Never heard of the producer or the plot, but wow. Nose of crushed cocoa dust, chestnut and cherry, with some strawberry underneath. And this is bee-utiful. A sophistication that hits sublime with delicate acidity, berry fruit, cocoa replay and even some anise. Just wonderful, WOTN"

Thanks for this note on a much more recent vintage, David.

Mike

we dont get the Bourgogne down here in NZ, I did however grab 6 of his Rugiens and 9 Epenots, might be while before they are ready for a tasting note however.
Great producer

David, I presume you are talkin’ the “Pinot Noirien”, not the Maisons Dieu? Wait until you try a Maisons Dieu…sherioushly good shtuff.!!!

Yes, the Pinot Noirien.

A lil’ story about the Pinot Noirien name,
Apparently, Thierry has found it on numerous occasions in old literature where the grape variety is referred to as Pinot Noirien, so he started putting it on his entry bourgogne rouge label without checking to see if that is allowed.
Then, a few years ago, several years worth of bottles labelled Noirien down the hatch, he got curious, and made the mistake of formally asking authorities whether or not he is allowed to do so.
They told him: no.
It is still bottled as such, to the day, with no apparent repercussion.
[berserker.gif]

Easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Fwiw, the fully monty 2017 offer is going out tomorrow…the whites in '17 kind of blew me away…

easier still to throttle forgiveness by the throat and tell it what you want it to do. :slight_smile: