TN: 2016 G.D. Vajra Barbera d'Alba

• 2016 G.D. Vajra Barbera d’Alba - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d’Alba (11/29/2018)
    This is lovely, it’s really bright and vibrant on both the nose and the palate. Initially it leads with robust and a vivid melange of raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries with hints of earth and wet stone. The palate leads with bright red and black fruits followed with notes of dark chocolate and tobacco. This is one of the most exciting producer’s Barbara d’Alba that I’ve come across in the past few years. I need to buy and try more wines from G.D. Vajra. Outstanding

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Yup, Vajra make a great Barbera, I am loving their 08 Superiore at the moment

Thanks for the note. The ‘15 was really wonderful, especially for an entry level Barbera. With ‘16 also being a great Piedmint vintage I’m sure it’s also excellent. Great value too. If you haven’t, try the Langhe Rosso and Nebbiolo Langhe. The former is bright, fruity, and refreshing; the latter is very much a baby Barolo, at least in better vintages. The Barolo Albe is also an amazing value.

Listen to Levi Dalton’s interview with the family. It’s really terrific. The respect they have for their craft really comes through.

Good stuff coming out of Vajra! Try some of their '13 or '14s - fabulous wines.

Kirk, Thanks for this note on the Vajra Barbera; I will seek it out. I have been a fan off and on of this grape for maybe more years than you have been alive! (judging from your photo in a post on the charity thread; see my avatar for my earliest Barbera wines) . Also thanks for the heads up on Vajra in general. It is a label that I have seen locally. Cheers. -Jim

The 2013 Bricco della Viole is terrific. And their Freisa is typically very good too.

I’ve been sitting on the 2013’s from them…but I opened a 2001 Barolo tonight that seemed as tight as most of the '08’s I’ve had these past few years…so maybe I need to crack into some more of the 2013’s

The '14 Viole is very good - worth a try also! CHEERS

just bought the 2016 Vajra Dolcetto yesterday

Agree with Jon, the 2014 Viole is very good. And I suspect we’ll be able to drink them early if desired.

I’m all in on the Vajra love. Even some of the lesser known wines are outstanding. Freisa and, in particular, the Riesling.

The basic Langhe Rosso that Michael mentions should be less than $15, and delivers a great weeknight Piedmont experience.

The Langhe Rosso was 15.99 at my local market here in Seattle. :frowning: Still worth it though. Starts off a bit too strong on the cherry, but the lovely earth notes I associate with Piedmontese Nebbiolo make an appearance after an hour or two. Definitely a great deal for a weekly drinker.