Shameless point chaser 100 point CDP question

I have a senior officer of a client who likes Chateauneuf. He is normally in the $20-$40 range. I just told him about the fantastic 2007 Mon Aieul that someone brought to the FKALBTG - ABCDEFGH dinner that I drank on Monday that was 100 points. He said that he had never had a 100 point wine and I promised him that I would share one with him if the PITA deal we are working on actually gets done. I checked my cellar and I have the 2007 Clos des Papes, which qualifies, and the 2007 da Capo, which I am saving for my 70th or 75th birthday. Does anyone have any other suggestions that will not break the bank? I would like to serve two at a “compare and contrast” dinner?

You know I don’t like it, which means you will, but the 2007 Janasse VV is there. I had that Clos de Papes last year, my dad was floored by it. He loved the Janasse VV and the Chaupin as well. Zach’s currently has the 2007 VV on auction and Benchmark has it in stock for $230. That’s 15-20 minutes of your big boy NYC rate.

I only wish; your rate is probably more inflated than mine. The Zachy’s auction is a block away starting an hour ago. I’ll have to check into it.

Ha, I’m just a lil ol’ 100-point country QPR. Like the Sociando of Law. I think you will really dig that VV. It’s a bomber!

100 pts by who, RP?

Btw janasse actually makes a wine called the XXL now?

I don’t care who. It’s just that I want to give the guy a “100 point” experience to see if he likes the wine. The TWA review of the 2007 is by Jeb Dunnuck.

Yes. I know they made it as of 2007, also 100 points by Jed. Ain’t cheap.

You’ll never guess which Berserker (of all people) has one of these tucked away since 2009?

2007 Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee de Mon Aieul.

2016 Pax Sonoma Hillsides…it’s not CdP…but it’s 100 points and could help redefine his view of wine.

Jed?? Really, man? I’m going to throw a bike pump in your tire if we ever do a ride one of these days… :wink:

Clos du Caillou Reserve 2016, 2010, 2005 or 2001 qualify … and are btw great wines. Sure 2016 is very young …

Domaine Giraud Grenaches de Pierre 2007 …

Domaine Barroche PURE 2010 …

Saint Prefert Charles Giraud 2010 …
(BTW which we - Jeb, Laurence, Isabel, my wife and me and some others - drank together at Pegau …)

Lol, typo typo! I multi-task too much. Ha. And I’m still waiting for that ride competition! And no, you cannot fuel on that high octane stuff for an advantage. :wink:

2016 Clos des Papes, fantastic wine.

100 pts by who, RP?

Jay - buy two bottles of something decent in the $50 range. Give me one. I’ll rate it 100 points. Drink the other one with your guy and tell him it’s a 100 point wine and save yourself a lot of cash.

I’d just get some 2016. JLL gave 6 stars in '16 (his highest rating) to:

Domaine du Cayron, Domaine Raymond Usseglio Impériale, Domaine la Solitude Cornelia Constanza, Domaine de Marcoux Vieilles Vignes, Château Rayas, Château Beaucastel Hommage J Perrin

The Cayron can be had for a low tariff: https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/domaine+du+cayron+gigondas/2016/

2007 Mas de Boislauzon CNP,CUVEE DU QUET Parker 100

Rated a Perfect 100 Points by Robert Parker (Wine Advocate)

The biggest surprise in these tastings was the phenomenal performance of the 2007 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee du Quet. Normally a blend of 65% Grenache and 35% Mourvedre, the 2007’s composition changed to 80% Grenache (all aged in tank) and 20% Mourvedre (aged in small oak barrels.) This wine literally blew me away. Since this is a PG-rated publication, I can not print my original comments upon tasting this wine. Let’s just say the exquisite aromatics were astounding. They include creme de cassis, lavender, roasted meats, new saddle leather, and spice box. The phenomenal aromatics were matched by equally compelling flavors, texture, and purity. Offering a thrill a second, this full-bodied wine exhibits awesome concentration, impeccable balance, and a finish that lasts nearly 60 seconds. I had a difficult time spitting out this amazing elixir, and I kept returning to it during the course of the morning tasting just to confirm my initial impression. The good news is about 500 cases were produced. It should drink well for two decades or more.

+1 on the Cuvee du Quet Fantastic wine!

I opened a 07 Janasse VV the other month for a mate of mine that usually drinks a lot of big Aussie reds.
100% NOT in my wheelhouse but he seemed to love it

I have opened both the Clos des Papes and the Janasse in the last few months. The CdP was really good, but I didn’t care much for the Janasse. My wife and daughter liked it a lot though.