TN: Baudry Blanc and Pepiere Muscadet

Opened 3 whites, not at the same time, but all within the same week.

2009 Baudry Croix Boissee Chinon Blanc
Clear, with light gold tint hinting just the slightest of advancement. Smoky/floral/somewhat oxidative Chenin nose. Fresh flavors from a mélange of citrus fruit, complementary layers of mineral and hint of savory broth. Tart and refreshing grapefruit notes. Good length. B+/A-

2012 Pepiere Muscadet Sevre-et-Maine Sur Lie Clos des Briords
One word: smooth. Ripe, lush citrus. I’d never thought I’d use the word “elegant” to describe a usually/traditionally high-toned Muscadet. Intensity appeared to have dialed down from last taste (2+ years ago). Very long finish. B+

2014 Pepiere Muscadet Sevre-et-Maine Sur Lie Clos des Briords
Flowers, stone, and seashell bouquet. Talk about high intensity! Mouth-puckering, eye-squinting acidity. Strong mineral and seashell notes. Ripe white fruit. Complete. A-

1AA1FFF3-FBD0-484A-A61C-D1977E295682.jpeg

Nice lineup!

That 14 Briords is dynamite. Interesting how the strong pleasant acidity can take a step back from time to time to let the fruit time to be enjoyed.

Great line-up. The Baudry Croix-Boissée blanc is the best white Chinon and is headed towards the top ranks of dry chenin, IMO. 2014 Briords is magic.

Thanks for the notes Ramon and glad to hear the '14 Briords is in a good place. I almost pulled one of these last night but went a different route. Probably my favorite vintage and I’m sadly down to my last 2 bottles. Was not nearly as much of a fan of the '15, which has so much less cut and is too round IMO. The next time a vintage like '14 comes around I need to really back up the truck.

Just to add, being the only alcohol-drinker in the household, remaining 50% of each bottle were re-corked back into the refrigerator overnight for the the next dinner.

On day 2, all 3 were more complex and I admittedly found them more enjoyable, and also showed to be almost as sturdy as they were in the 1st day. 2014 Briords is a long-haul beast.

‘17 is very good. Very much in the vein of ‘10, ‘12, and ‘14 IMO.

Beeeep, bip, beeeep, bip, Beeeep, bip, Beeeep, bip, ppppsshhhhh.

“Put them here, please…”

Awesome. Will seek out.

‘17 is stupid good, after 1+ case consumed over the summer.

I’m trying to get handle on vintage differences between the most recent few. I saw your discussion of differences between 14 and 15 - how would you compare those to 16 and 17?

Some of my favorite daily drink whites. Cheers Ramon!

The hallmark of Pepiere’s Briords are the cutting acidity, high mineral notes and intensity. Those vintages showed them all. But I preferred 17 to 16, in a larger way than I preferred 14 to the 15. In fact my order preference in the last 4 vintage releases is 14, 17, 15, and 16.

Cheers, Faryan! Amazing and thankful that the wines stay consistent year-after-year while maintaining their reasonable pricing … at least with Pepiere’s Briords.

Even though I have stopped buying, I couldn’t resist these comments and bought 6 bottles of the 2017. That and my recent 04 Briords which was as good as an excellent chablis,

If I had bought a case it would have been even cheaper, $15/bottle.

+1, although I wouldn’t drink 14 now.

My recollection is 2004 was $23 on release. In magnum. :wink:

I had a little Pepiere '17 horizontal last night, with a Briords, along with their two La Pepie base Cuvee (one muscadet, one cab franc). The '17 Briords remind me of a cross between the '14 and '15 - chiseled and strikingly intense, but with a rounder mouthfeel and a bit more ripe fruit on the back. I like the '15 at least as much as the '14, if not a tiny bit more. But the '17 may end up being the best of the bunch. :slight_smile:

As for the entry level Muscadet, it was a bit more tart and less balanced, but shared many profile traits of the Briords and was very quaffable. It’s hard to justify buying this when Briords is available for only $4 more… except as a cellar defender to protect those Briords.

The Pepie cab franc was also quaffable and fun, although it’s not in the same league as some of the of the $15 Loire reds I’ve had in the past couple years.

Just had a glass of a 2015 Pepiere (the Chateau Theobaud) and while it was pleasant, it wasn’t exciting. Is it a more pedestrian bottling or the vintage?

Switched to a glass of Descombes 2015 Morgon Vielle Vignes which was a great Morgon.

I purchased some 2015 Luneau-Pepin L d`Or Granit Vallet when in Calgary last week.

Great producers! Thanks for sharing.