Colorado Wine, worth the trip?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Matt K

Colorado Wine, worth the trip?

#1 Post by Matt K » November 28th, 2018, 11:59 am

Hi all, I'll be in CO this winter for a little bit and (for a first) not planning on skiing at all. I'll have a few days to kill possibly in the Denver area, and noticed that a quick search for 'Colorado winery' turned up quite a few results. I'd be interested in trying a few but honestly have no idea where to start. Would primarily be interested in tasting grapes that were grown IN Colorado, if at all possible.

If this is not possible, I'll take recommendations on your favorite wine bar as back up.
Matt Killman - ITB

blarmston

Re: Colorado Wine, worth the trip?

#2 Post by blarmston » November 28th, 2018, 12:39 pm

No skiing?! They are getting dumped on in the early season. My RECO would be to pour your favorite bottle into a canister and head for the mountains. Nothing like taking swigs of some vino whilst on the gondola...
-Brian Armston

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Jim Stewart » November 28th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Hey Matt. I can recommend a visit to Creekside Cellars Winery and Cafe in Evergreen if it fits into your schedule. Nice people, wines and food. Also a nice ride up to Evergreen from Denver. (can detour to Red Rocks weather permitting). I believe most if not all grapes are from Colorado. Look at their website and contact them to learn more about it. -Jim
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Michael Martin » November 28th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 12:52 pm
Hey Matt. I can recommend a visit to Creekside Cellars Winery and Cafe in Evergreen if it fits into your schedule. Nice people, wines and food. Also a nice ride up to Evergreen from Denver. (can detour to Red Rocks weather permitting). I believe most if not all grapes are from Colorado. Look at their website and contact them to learn more about it. -Jim
+1. Best winery in the metro area and maybe the state.

Bookcliff in Boulder is also worth a trip.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Brandon R » November 28th, 2018, 3:07 pm

I've had Colorado wines twice now, both made from Colorado grapes, and both were quite good. Of course, I don't remember what they were. They were both tasted blind by enthusiastic folks, so they were undoubtedly of the better quality. I mean, after all, when someone bags a mystery wine and says, "Hey, taste this and guess what it is...," it's unlikely to be bad. They're most likely trying to make a point and, in my experience, they did. Colorado can grow some great grapes and make great wine. I know one was a Cab Franc. In other words, I'd definitely think it would be worth visiting a few.
B. Redman

GregT

#6 Post by GregT » November 28th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Why not? I would do it. And get in touch with Kyle Schachter, who posts here from time to time.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Mel Hill

#7 Post by Mel Hill » November 28th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Creekside and Bookcliff are both solid recommendations

Matt K

#8 Post by Matt K » November 29th, 2018, 6:16 am

Jim Stewart wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 12:52 pm
I actually have a friend who lives in Evergreen, this might make an excellent way to spend an afternoon. Thank you!
Matt Killman - ITB

Matt K

#9 Post by Matt K » November 29th, 2018, 6:18 am

blarmston wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 12:39 pm
No skiing?! They are getting dumped on in the early season. My RECO would be to pour your favorite bottle into a canister and head for the mountains. Nothing like taking swigs of some vino whilst on the gondola...
This is generally my go to. We will probably make it out later in the season (maybe early March) to get a few turns. We had a 55 degree day at A basin last year in March that was phenomenal. But hey, if there's a foot of powder over night and a bluebird day in the morning...
Matt Killman - ITB

blarmston

#10 Post by blarmston » November 29th, 2018, 10:58 am

If that's the case then you know what to do :)
-Brian Armston

Kyle Schlachter

#11 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 30th, 2018, 7:44 am

Matt, Bookcliff and Creekside are both great recommendations. If you get up to Boulder to visit Bookcliff, there are two other wineries (one produces only wine-based cocktail concentrate) and a brewery in the same complex. I’d also recommend Infinite Monkey Theorem north of downtown. Lots of top restaurants in the RiNo (River North) neighborhood. I’d also recommend Carbon Winery at Angelo’s Taverna in Littleton (though they haven’t released any of their CO-grown wines). They started as 100% non-CO wine, but were so impressed in the fruit, they’ve reduced their out-of-state production to only 25% (Matt Nagy of Matthiasson and Benevolent Neglect in CA is one of their winemakers (they have two in CA and two in CO)). The two wine regions are on the western slope about four hours west of Denver. Both have their pros/cons to visit. Crested Butte has a new winery, Buckel Family Wine, from the winemaker at Sutcliffe Vineyards (Cortez) and formerly of Flowers and BR Cohn. If you’re up at Vail, stop in at Monkshood Cellars in Minturn. Nathan was assistant winemaker at Mayacamas before settling in CO.

Lots of options depending on your schedule.

How long and when are you in town? Depending on my schedule, I could be convinced to host an offline with some other berserkers and open some older CO wines...
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Michael Martin » November 30th, 2018, 7:56 am

Slight correction, the winery in Littleton is Carboy not Carbon. Sorry, Kyle had to do it. newhere [smileyvault-ban.gif] [snort.gif]
http://www.carboywinery.com/littleton/

Kyle Schlachter

#13 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 30th, 2018, 10:46 am

I’ll blame autocorrect on that...
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Return to “Wine Talk”