Iron Gate Wine (Buffalo)

Does anyone have any experience purchasing wine from Iron Gate Wine in Buffalo? How was the experience? Any problems or hiccups with anything? Any comments from previous purchasers would be appreciated. Thanks!

I was also looking to purchase from Irongate.
They def. had a few bottles i was interested in.
Never heard of them until recent.

I can tell you there is absolutely no local market for the wines they have. It looks like there is a Canadian angle. According to linkedin most of the people who work there are located in Toronto/Canada.

I have a small order in and will report my fulfillment experience by end of next week. Hopeful all is above board and goes as planned. Communication thus far, since the order, is high quality.

Also curious

Just one purchase, but was impressed with their communication and promptness.

Well respected and widely used Toronto based storage co. Opened in Buffalo for some logistical reasons. Is able to consign/sell wines from clients here, over there. Should be good news for US buyers - due to our prehistoric liquor laws, provenance is often solid as wines generally stay in the original buyers cellars and (being Canada), we have far fewer issues with shipping/ heat damage.
I’m not a client, but know several.

As someone who grew up in the region, I can assure you there is a local market.

Having lived there in the '90’s, I agree there is a local market, despite Robert’s saturnine take. Premier Wine was very good at the time, but overexpanded and had to sell off their best stock. I have no experience with this seller, however.

How do you define region? I was talking about Buffalo specifically.

I’ve bought a bunch of stuff from them. Everything pristine, no bad bottles. Their whole inventory is from private collectors in Canada. Prices are high but every now and then a good deal. They have a warehouse in Buffalo they ship to and from there delivery to me in one day. Very good customer service.

Still condescending.

Sole purchase was this year of some Chave and a few older things. Provenance appears pristine and they were first class operation. I’d use them again in a heartbeat.

I was not intending to be condescending. My point was that there has to be some reason that a shop like this opened in Buffalo. I was born and raised in Buffalo and still have family there and go back 2-3 times per year. And as I suspected it appears this is a Canadian operation that has a warehouse in Buffalo for logistical and other reasons.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I just placed an order as well.

Adding to the positive reviews of Iron Gate. Good people. I know them from their Toronto-based wine storage operation where they also have a members-only tasting room and kitchen. But I’ve also been to their Buffalo warehouse. As others have said, most if not all of the wine comes from Canadian collectors, and Iron Gate is legally able to transport the wine across the border and sell it on behalf of their Canadian clients.

You can buy from them with confidence.

How is their pricing? If collectors one would think it is very good, ie discount to retail?

I don’t wan’t to give you a hard time, Robert,
I always enjoy your posts, especially the ones about food. But if you grew up in Buffalo, you should remember Premier, which was in the suburbs, but served the region, the city proper as well, and no doubt also folk passing in and out from Canada. Had a great selection of older Bordeaux and Burgundy. And then there was a smaller place on Elmwood, I believe between Ferry and Allentown. To be sure, Buffalo and certainly Lackawanna are heavy beer towns, but there was also a wine contingent back in the day.

I do remember Premier well and actually still go to there. I bought a case of 2005 Truchot that was just sitting there in the cool room years after release. I also remember the shop on Elmwood. It is always fun to go wine shopping when I go home for the holidays. Wine-searcher did take some of the fun out of it :slight_smile:

Please allow me to add some insight to this post. I am the President of Iron Gate in Canada and read with pleasure that our people are doing a good job servicing our customers which is our top priority. Iron Gate has a retail facility in Buffalo because it is close to the Canadian border and it is where we have a retail wine license. The vast majority of our supply of wines come from private collections from the cellars of Canadians, many of whom are clients I have known in my 15 years in the wine storage business. It is not legal to sell wine in Canada and this law created the opportunity for us to sell outside our country. Our goals are exceptional provenance, white glove service and highly competitive prices. I was surprised to read that some thought our pricing expensive because we’re generally within the lowest 3 in all the US but I’m always happy to look closer. I don’t come onto this chat as often as I should because we’re a young company running 100mph but I’ll keep a closer eye if I can be of assistance. I am also happy to take your calls or emails at warren at irongatewine dot com if you prefer. Thank you to all who wrote the kind words above. Your business is greatly appreciated and I hope we continue to earn it.