TN: 2014 Tercero Gewürztraminer The Outlier

• 2014 Tercero Gewürztraminer The Outlier - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (11/27/2018)
    This is such a unique wine! Not the typical Gewurzt with that lychee, muscat like floral perfume…the first thing you notice is a COOL petrol/gas rag funk that reminds me of some Bord Blancs, as well as a lanolin softness and waxiness. Very creamy and oily on the palate…seems it’s going to be really sweet, yet it’s not. Has a viscosity that is very pleasing to the palate, yet plenty of grapefruit/orange/lemon acidity that energizes. What I think of, and love, about a good Gewurtz is the florals…and this explodes with a lovely springtime bouquet, honeysuckle, citrus blossoms, pine sap, peach tea with mint. Love the softness, with just a tad of edge with some crushed minerals and chalk dust. Tasty and easy drinking…with each sip holding your attention. Lovely! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Such an awesome CA white.

Have some on the way … can’t wait!

Love this wine.

Thanks for the great note! I’m going to check in on one of these.

A consistenly beautiful wine. Nothing wrong with a little lychee in my book.

Buzz,

Thanks for posting this note, my friend. This is a wine I dig making - the aromatics alone are intoxicating to me!

Unfortunately, the best place to grow a variety like Gewurz is a cooler climate location . . . which happens to be the best place to plant more ‘mainstream’ and better selling varieties like Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. Alas, after the 2014 vintage, the vines were grafted over to Chardonnay. I was offered fruit from outside the SB County, but I really want to stay within the borders so I have not made the wine since.

I intentionally picked these grapes riper than usual, leading to a wine that has a whopping 13.5% alcohol level [snort.gif]. This increased alcohol added body to the wine - and I believe has allowed the wine to age wonderfully. Though this has been in bottle for about 3.5 years, and to me, it is just getting better. I’m glad I have a bit of it left, but I don’t plan on it lasting much longer [cheers.gif]

Cheers.

Pine needles and dried pineapple are REALLY prevalent day three…with the petrol subsided to a nuance…complexities explode at cellar temp!
Can’t believe this is the last vintage of this wine Larry! What a bummer. :cry:

I have 1 bottle left, and I think I’ll share it at the family Hanukkah party.

Good thing I have a few dozen cases still left [snort.gif] [wow.gif] champagne.gif