FINAL TALLY Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen 11/28 - 12/4

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Lee Barnard
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen 11/28 - 12/4

#51 Post by Lee Barnard » December 1st, 2018, 1:54 pm

Wife is out of town, so you'll all have to suffer through my terrible selfie skills.
  • 2014 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Papera Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/1/2018)
    Day 1, this was very tight and the nose muted - certainly needs more time in the cellar. Tannins were grippy and a little drying.

Left open for 24 hours and has come out of its shell a bit, although nose still mainly closed. On the palate, constantly dancing - raspberry, blackberry and black olive. While predominately Zin, I find it mostly reminds me of a restrained CA Syrah. Tannins have folded in nicely and I love the jolt of acidity that keeps this fresh. It honestly is really hard to describe these heritage wines as there is so much going on, and that is why I find them so intriguing. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Attachments
Zin Pic.jpg

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen

#52 Post by Frank Murray III » December 1st, 2018, 3:33 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 12:33 pm
Frank Murray III wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 2:41 pm

Jason, hang in there buddy. When we did our very first OC offline, probably 15 years ago in San Juan, and the emerging community of wine lovers we saw come forward at the time, you were part of that movement. The guys here are going to do some good work for you, to show that we'er all behind you, pal.

Remember it well. Maybe with Augie Hug? Also the first Falltacualar. I wonder how many people know where that name came from. And your first avatar was a Kings logo. Oh how the mighty have fallen. [wow.gif]

Here is a fairly old pic with maybe the first Chardonnay that Brian Loring labeled. And Alcina!! [wink.gif]

1165_1055304148690_2548_n.jpg

Jason
Dude, nice. I remember that shot from my backyard, all those bottles. I have all the original Falltacular photos from 2005. When I get the next chance to get at some of them, I'll jam up here another oldie of you, pal. Glad to see everyone rallying for you. grouphug
My best wines of 2018:
2013 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier d'Or
2015 Kutch Sonoma Coast PN
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay
2012 Savart Expression Nature Ecueil
2010 Tercero Verbiage (Rouge) Santa Barbara County

Kindness matters.

Drew Goin

Re: Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen

#53 Post by Drew Goin » December 1st, 2018, 4:12 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 4:06 pm
. . . going way back, circa 1975 to Italian Swiss Colony, probably the first Zinfandel we tasted

I am just now seeing this! Wow, what a cool treasure! [cheers.gif]

I notice that the label has something appended to it with Emilio Guglielmo's name on it.

What's the back story on this bottle???

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen 11/28 - 12/4

#54 Post by ky1em!ttskus » December 1st, 2018, 4:33 pm

‘15 Carlisle Sonoma County Zin

PnP: good acidic structure. Fruit is a awkward. Kind of all over the place. Plush, but also kind of thin on the palate.

I’ll leave it to hang out for the 1.5 hours it’ll take for dinner to cook.

Few hours later: the nose on this is alcohol and a weird, chemical note. The palate is still thin and way off-balance. I either caught this on a bad night for my palate or this is an off-bottle.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by ky1em!ttskus on December 1st, 2018, 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Jim Stewart » December 1st, 2018, 4:55 pm

Drew Goin wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 4:12 pm
Jim Stewart wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 4:06 pm
. . . going way back, circa 1975 to Italian Swiss Colony, probably the first Zinfandel we tasted

I am just now seeing this! Wow, what a cool treasure! [cheers.gif]

I notice that the label has something appended to it with Emilio Guglielmo's name on it.

What's the back story on this bottle???
Sorry, Drew, there is no bottle attached to this label. Did not mean to imply otherwise, but just to make a reference to what was probably the first Zin we tasted more than 40 years ago. There is a backstory to why I have this label. During the winter of '75/'76 my wife and I were snowed in for a few weeks during winter break as grad students at UMASS Amherst. To keep myself sane (a short term success, but a long term failure)I tried to stay busy with a few "projects", including re-covering a lamp base in wine labels. We were in our mid-twenties and about a year or so into our wine drinking adventures. I used to hot-water off the labels of most of the wines we drank to keep as souvenirs. The Italian Swiss Colony Zin was one of the labels that made it onto the lamp. My avatar shows a couple of others. The "Emilio Guglielmo" is part of an adjacent label for a California "Chablis". We still have that lamp. Nostalgia.
Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season.

Drew Goin

#56 Post by Drew Goin » December 1st, 2018, 5:04 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 4:55 pm
...To keep myself sane (a short term success, but a long term failure)I tried to stay busy with a few "projects", including re-covering a lamp base in wine labels. ...The Italian Swiss Colony Zin was one of the labels that made it onto the lamp. My avatar shows a couple of others. The "Emilio Guglielmo" is part of an adjacent label for a California "Chablis". We still have that lamp. Nostalgia.

Thanks for the story, Jim! That's even cooler!!!

Tom Lee

#57 Post by Tom Lee » December 1st, 2018, 5:29 pm

2016 Kreck Old Vine Zinfandel Teldeschi Vineyard

Teldeschi Vineyard is located in the Dry Creek Valley and dates back to the 1890’s. Teldeschi is a also a fruit source for Ravenswood and Once & Future.

Crimson in color. 15.7% ABV. Super nose of red fruits, cocoa powder and pepper. Medium body with perfect acidity. Bright and refreshing. Claret style Zinfandel. Raspberry, black cherry, vanilla and baking spices on the palate. The finish is long and spicy. Delicious Zinfandel and certainly an impressive debut. Best over the next 3-5 years. $42 at the winery.

My rating: 93 points.

Tom
Attachments
B3C24DE8-1150-4424-AFFE-D0E19575001C.jpeg
Twitter: @NWTomLee

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Steve Gautier » December 1st, 2018, 5:33 pm

2010 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard - PnP. What a full mouthful. Crisp, pure fruit primarily blueberry with hints of red fruit engulfed by a huge punch of spice which integrates with some time in the glass.

This was a great wine.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Kris Patten » December 1st, 2018, 10:51 pm

J. Lohr Bramblewood Old Vines Zinfandel, Lodi, CA 1998
Ironically smells brambly with dried blackberry and raspberry. Leather, dried fruits and flowers and soft tannins dominate the palate. Not a great old Zinfandel, but a good old Zinfandel at 20 years.
ITB

Drew Goin

#60 Post by Drew Goin » December 2nd, 2018, 3:38 am

Tom Lee wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 5:29 pm

Crimson in color. 15.7% ABV. Super nose of red fruits, cocoa powder and pepper. Medium body with perfect acidity. Bright and refreshing. Claret style Zinfandel. Raspberry, black cherry, vanilla and baking spices on the palate. The finish is long and spicy. Delicious Zinfandel and certainly an impressive debut. Best over the next 3-5 years. $42 at the winery.

Tom

Thanks for the tasting note, Tom!!

I have been curious about the Kreck "Del Barba Vineyard" Contra Costa Zinfandel, but ↑this one↑ really seems like a beauty!

Sean Malloy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Sean Malloy » December 2nd, 2018, 6:03 am

2014 A. Rafanelli Zinfandel. Bright, juicy, with lots of stuffing without being jammy. Nose and palate are what I refer to as "mixed red/black fruit bramble." Very tasty. Exactly the opposite of one recent CT tasting note that said it was jammy without being big...not jammy at all. Lovely wine.

Tom Lee

#62 Post by Tom Lee » December 2nd, 2018, 7:20 am

Drew Goin wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 3:38 am
Tom Lee wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 5:29 pm

Tom

Thanks for the tasting note, Tom!!

I have been curious about the Kreck "Del Barba Vineyard" Contra Costa Zinfandel, but ↑this one↑ really seems like a beauty!
The Del Barba is fantastic. I’ll post on this thread and Zinfandel Chronicles on Tuesday.

Tom

Tom Lee

#63 Post by Tom Lee » December 2nd, 2018, 7:25 am

2015 Carlisle Zinfandel Mancini Ranch

Mancini Ranch, planted in 1922, lies kitty-corner from Papera Ranch at the corner of Piner and Olivet Roads. Unlike Papera, this vineyard is relatively mixed in its composition with plenty of Carignane, Abouriou, Valdiguié, Alicante Bouschet, Grand Noir, and Petite Sirah.

Bright crimson in color. 15.5% ABV. Stunning nose of brambly red fruits, raspberry liqueur and peach. Medium to full bodied with exquisite acidity. Fresh and vibrant with bright fruits in spades. Cherry, raspberry and wild strawberry on the palate. Tremendous length on the finish. Really fantastic Zinfandel and I look forward to following this wine in subsequent vintages. Best over the next 4-7 years.

My rating: 95 points.
Attachments
D485CAA3-53A6-4DE6-9EB9-D2B8C8721F86.jpeg

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Rich Brown » December 2nd, 2018, 7:37 am

2012 Hartford Old Vine Zinfandel

I'm telling you, Hartford has slowly crept up into my list of top zin producers, and this bottle was just another example of why I really need to start adding more to my cellar. Just an excellent zinfandel with an explosion of blackberries on the nose and blueberries, cinnamon, and a bit of pepper in the mouth. My favorite part about these wines is that they walk the line perfectly with the big beautiful dark fruits yet remain completely balanced with ample acidity creating an incredible mouthfeel and a super enjoyable drinking experience. Cheers!

[media] [/media]

Mike Grammer

#65 Post by Mike Grammer » December 2nd, 2018, 11:01 am

2014 Peter Franus Zin

A while since I've had anything from him. Pleasant and enticing aromatics of blueberry and boysenberry swirl up the glass. But, while the fruit replays continue on the palate, they're joined by a bitter/sweet and pretty direct hit on your tongue with a heat spike in the middle (guessed listed 14.8%, it's 14.9%). Can't say I care much for this, at least at this stage. Not much complexity and very on the fruit side of the grape.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Blake Brown » December 2nd, 2018, 11:20 am

More Sin than Zin in my cellar, but I do have a gem in this one:

1992 WILLIAMS SELYEM RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY ZINFANDEL- 15.6% abv; once Burt Williams was informed he would only receive 2 more years of fruit from the Leno Martinelli Jackass Hill Vineyard, he took the vineyard reference off the label and called it RRV; fortunately, I`ve had the pleasure of drinking quite a few of this wondrous wine especially in the past few years; it is so viable now and beautifully balanced with such surprising ease on the palate for a Zinfandel with relatively high alcohol; the fruit profile consists of blueberry, cherry and plum with a touch of cola/ sassafras and baking spices.

fullsizeoutput_20a9.jpeg
Last edited by Blake Brown on December 2nd, 2018, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Vince T » December 2nd, 2018, 2:00 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 11:20 am

1992 WILLIAMS SELYEM RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY ZINFANDEL- 15.6% abv; once Burt Williams was informed he would only receive 2 more years of fruit from the Leno Martinelli Jackass Hill Vineyard, he took the vineyard reference off the label and called it RRV; fortunately, I`ve had the pleasure of drinking quite a few of this wondrous wine especially in the past few years; it is so viable now and beautifully balanced with such surprising ease on the palate for a Zinfandel with relatively high alcohol; the fruit profile consists of blueberry, cherry and plum with a touch of cola/ sassafras and baking spices.

fullsizeoutput_20a7.jpeg
Blake - is that the wrong pic? It says Pinot on the bottle! Or did you drink the Pinot thinking it was the zin?
T s 3 n g

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Blake Brown » December 2nd, 2018, 3:14 pm

Vince T wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 2:00 pm
Blake Brown wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 11:20 am

fullsizeoutput_20a7.jpeg
Blake - is that the wrong pic? It says Pinot on the bottle! Or did you drink the Pinot thinking it was the zin?
Thanks Vince for the heads up. I cropped the Zin from the Pinot and then uploaded the wrong bottle. I did have a 92` WS RRV Pinot as well. It showed quite well and was clearly not a Zinfandel.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 2nd, 2018, 4:52 pm

2012 Ridge Lytton Springs - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (12/2/2018)
Last year I thought this might be heading into a shut down phase. Turns out I was right. While not totally devoid of pleasure, it is a bit sullen and closed. The depth is apparent, so there are good days ahead, just not now.

FA9619CB-FB3A-413A-88C9-77B5A1B2AFC3.jpeg
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by brigcampbell » December 2nd, 2018, 5:01 pm

Dog sitting

• 2015 Matthiasson Zinfandel Limerick Lane - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/2/2018)
    I wanted to share this with Kim because she'll appreciate the importance of the Limerick vineyard. The nose is beautiful, just a hint of perfume, dried twigs, candied fruit. The palate is amazing, wow, perfect balance. Cherry and zin berries. Delicate mouthfeel with mineral notes. Light pepper finish. One of the best zins, ever.
Attachments
20181202_165010_HDR~2.jpg

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 2nd, 2018, 5:06 pm

Thanks Brig. I have one bottle of that Matthiasson from a club shipment. Really looking forward to it now.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Brian Tuite » December 2nd, 2018, 5:35 pm

World class vineyard that Limerick Lane is.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2018 WOTY...
2014 Carter Cellars Wietz

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by ky1em!ttskus » December 2nd, 2018, 7:04 pm

‘16 Seghesio Sonoma County Zin

A recent WBer posted a note on this calling it forgettable. I’m in total agreement.

Kind of sweet dark fruit on the front palate. Finishes with kind of awkward acidity. I can see this getting crushed at a party, but for the same $$, the DCV Heritage is a way better wine.
Attachments
image.jpg

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Brian Tuite » December 2nd, 2018, 7:08 pm

ky1em!ttskus wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 7:04 pm
‘16 Seghesio Sonoma County Zin

A recent WBer posted a note on this calling it forgettable. I’m in total agreement.

Kind of sweet dark fruit on the front palate. Finishes with kind of awkward acidity. I can see this getting crushed at a party, but for the same $$, the DCV Heritage is a way better wine.
That wine used to be our go-to Zin back in like 2005-2010. How the times have changed since Pete sold the farm.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2018 WOTY...

T. Melloni

#75 Post by T. Melloni » December 2nd, 2018, 7:20 pm

Opened a Radio Coteau Lemorel Zinfandel. I was impressed.
This was my first RC from this vineyard.
2014 Radio-Coteau Zinfandel Lemorel - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (12/2/2018)
Pop and pour and initially tasted without food.
Color: ruby purple color. Clear.
Nose shows ripe blackberries, cherries, some rose petal notes, and a touch of vanilla.
Lively wine with good acidity, showing some blood orange and floral notes adding depth and nuance to the black cherries, pomegranate and cranberry fruits. The balance of citrus notes and ripe fruits makes this quite vibrant and inviting.
Delicious.
Last edited by T. Melloni on December 3rd, 2018, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Limit of 32 characters; I am #33

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Rick Allen » December 2nd, 2018, 8:19 pm

2014 Once and Future Sonoma Valley Zinfandel Bedrock Vineyard
Dusty, brambly nose. Bramble to blackberry on the palate with good acidity and balance, moderate tannins, and a very nice long finish. Still relatively primary. I think this needs several more years to really show its stuff. I love the fact that it's 13.8% alcohol!

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Rich Brown » December 2nd, 2018, 8:52 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 5:01 pm
Dog sitting

• 2015 Matthiasson Zinfandel Limerick Lane - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/2/2018)
    I wanted to share this with Kim because she'll appreciate the importance of the Limerick vineyard. The nose is beautiful, just a hint of perfume, dried twigs, candied fruit. The palate is amazing, wow, perfect balance. Cherry and zin berries. Delicate mouthfeel with mineral notes. Light pepper finish. One of the best zins, ever.
Nice note Brig! I had similar sentiments when I popped this a couple days ago - loved the semi-sour cherry notes and the amazing balance. Definitely one of the more exciting zins I've had in a while. Good stuff buddy!

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Cris Whetstone » December 2nd, 2018, 10:06 pm

2014 Ridge Carmichael Zinfandel - The fruit is still fairly primary and forward. It's not huge though, just bright Cali Zin. Lengthy fine tannin I'm sure mostly tagging along due to the 18% Petit Sirah. I think the Petit was brought in to buttress the fruit honestly. There isn't a lot of density or concentration. Just the right amount for an easy drinking Zin. A pretty good wine overall. It's light enough to go with dinner. Expressive enough to stand on it's own.
Attachments
20181202_210335.jpg
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Rich Brown » December 3rd, 2018, 11:06 am

2008 Dry Creek Vineyard Old Vine Zinfandel

This was a nice enough zin but definitely not a world beater. Pretty blueberries and pepper on the nose and palate, but a little bit tired and definitely not going to get any better. Probably a year or two past peak - drink now if you have any.

[media] [/media]

Fred Bower

#80 Post by Fred Bower » December 3rd, 2018, 11:35 am

In the theme of the first contribution, here's #2 in the series

1993 Ridge Lytton Estate
Need a Durand. Badly. Augured out most of the cork bit by bit and decanted through a tea strainer. The outer cylinder of the cork is still in the bottle in the recycling bin. There was a small amount of coarse sediment. Color here is medium red with only a bit of fading at the rim and medium transparency. The nose is full of red fruit, with a hint of spice complementing. The palate is still bright after all these years. Raspberry, cherry, sweet peppercorn are my main impressions, but there's a nice depth and none of the dusty/woodsy notes the 1994 showed a day prior. This was a beautiful old bottle of Ridge.
IMG_4733.JPG
Cheers,
fred

Jason Hagen

#81 Post by Jason Hagen » December 3rd, 2018, 4:28 pm

Although I can't taste the wine, Laura got to enjoy this over a few nights. And out of a wine glass from one of our other charities.

It is actually very difficult to express how much this thread has meant to me and my family.

The La Croix I drank was bubbly and refreshing.

The Ridge tasting note:

Nose: Gratitude, encouragement and hope.
Palate: Generosity, love, and proof that this is a wonderful community.

I hope to see you all soon and I'll share some of my alcohol free grape juice from Navaro. I am particularly fond of the Pinot Noir.

Peace,

Jason
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 4.16.43 PM.png

Jason Hagen

#82 Post by Jason Hagen » December 3rd, 2018, 4:30 pm

David Lewin wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 12:11 pm
2009 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard (CVZ) – Some alcohol starting to peek through, but otherwise balanced. While CVZ generally ages longer than other vineyards (and has aged better than the Montafi and Papera in this vintage), I think it's seen its peak and is in a gentle decline. Mike Officer has its drinking window ending this year, and I think he has nailed it. None of this prevented me from enjoying it last night after a rough day at work. Get better Jason.
Thank you my friend. See you soon!

J

H Bongiovi

#83 Post by H Bongiovi » December 3rd, 2018, 6:34 pm

2012 Carlisle "DuPratt" Mendocino Ridge Zinfandel : purple floral nose leads to boysenberry and dark red raspberry nectar; everything in check: flashing opulent fruit with wonderful spine of acidity; really fabulous now, but in no danger of dropping off any time soon; sorry I didn't purchase more when I had the chance
we are all pulling for you and sending you positive thoughts Jason
Henry

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Brian Tuite » December 3rd, 2018, 7:53 pm

• 1994 Nalle Zinfandel - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (12/3/2018)
    Cork was crumbly, needed to use the Durand. Wine is surprisingly fresh. It’s been hit and miss with aged Nalle Zinfandels but this one is a win. Nose of strawberry preserves and a new leather wallet. The same strawberry preserves line the palate wth some added perfume and crisp acidity, everything is pretty resolved so this isn’t real complex but still well balanced right down to the subtle tannins. My wife said it smelled like old wine. I have to disagree, this is wonderful.
  • 2003 Ridge Zinfandel Nervo - USA, California, Sonoma County (12/3/2018)
    Pours dark purple, quick swirl and sniff gives off alcohol. A quick look at the label confirms at 15.1%. Jammy nose of dried dark fruits and more heat. Boysenberry and backberry pie filling, some oak spice and more heat on the palate. Black pepper, ripe berries and mouth drying tannins but the burn on the finish detracts. Wonder what this was like 10 years ago. 10 more years won’t help. Enjoyed the 10 year older Nalle a lot more.
E6BEA2A7-2C41-461E-8C45-314410002D80.jpeg

2018 WOTY...

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by fred o. » December 3rd, 2018, 11:00 pm

so sorry to hear about your recent challenges, Jason. Best of luck.

2009 Ridge Carmichael Ranch. purchased recently at winery. was concerned a bit by the CT notes indicating it's over the hill.
Opaque dark burgundy. Nose richly fruited, hint of marzipan, some sweetness. Palate at first dominated by a buttery flavor, as it airs out the dense fruit becomes more defined and shaped by acidity and a herbal complexity, some black cherry notes with time. Possibly past peak but still offering a lot of fruity pleasure, a bit decadent like it let itself go but still has remnants of a classical structure underneath. 91 pts

2015 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel, Carlisle Vineyard.
decanted 45 minutes. Dark ruby color. Nose dark fruits, intense perfume -- violets and a faint hint of forest floor, outstanding. Palate juicy and jammy but in a pleasing and balanced way, hint of mint and herbs, great concentration of flavor with a refreshing red-fruit acidity on the finish. One of my favorites of the Bedrock zins that I've tried, very pleasurable now with its exuberant fruit. 92 pts

bretrooks

#86 Post by bretrooks » December 3rd, 2018, 11:17 pm

We had an excellent zin show up at our tasting group's annual secret santa party last Saturday:

2016 Carlisle Zinfandel Papera Ranch

Decanted ~1 hour ahead of time, one half-glass consumed over ~15 minute as part of a larger tasting. Slightly grapey at first, but with air this transitioned into something like the best cherry pie filling I've ever had - tart acidity and structure buttressing ample, subtly cooked dark red fruit, notes of spice adding interest, showing some weight but with a harmonious balance that makes me think I may like this even more in ~5 years. I don't go through much zin, but this has to be one of the best ones I've ever tasted.
Bret R., Intrepid QPR Explorer

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Andrew Demaree » December 4th, 2018, 4:52 am

2012 Bedrock Wine Co. ‘Sodini Vineyard’ Zinfandel

I last had this in March and am struck by how different this bottle seems from that one. There’s a brighter fruit profile and more piquant acidity, with brown spice (cinnamon?) on the back-end. Not sure to what extent it’s my palate on two different days vs. bottle variation? Hmm...

57B570E3-58DF-481C-AA1B-D350FE40912F.jpeg

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Brian Tuite » December 4th, 2018, 5:24 am

Today is the last day for this thread so you have until Midnight PST Tuesday to get those notes and pictures loaded. Let’s finish this one strong! grouphug [berserker.gif]

2018 WOTY...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Brian Tuite » December 4th, 2018, 5:55 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 7:21 pm
“Clarity now!”

Current donation is $17 per note or $22 per note that includes a picture of you with the bottle!

Update: $20 and $25 with you pictured! Way to go guys and gals!
Well my math fails me but thankfully it’s just my math. [wink.gif]
Actual pledges are $18 per note or $23 with a pic of you with your wine. Not sure where I screwed that one up but I’ll add another $2 a note to keep it real @ $20/$25.

2018 WOTY...

J a y H a c k

#90 Post by J a y H a c k » December 4th, 2018, 6:32 am

I have been negligent in failing to drink a lot of zin, but we will do our best to contribute tonight. Should be a good pairing with spicy herbed meat loaf.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

T. Melloni

#91 Post by T. Melloni » December 4th, 2018, 9:06 am

Jason Hagen wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 4:28 pm

The Ridge tasting note:

Nose: Gratitude, encouragement and hope.
Palate: Generosity, love, and proof that this is a wonderful community.

Peace,

Jason
Wonderful.
This should be a part of every tasting note.
Jason - I wish you strength as you face your health challenges.
Limit of 32 characters; I am #33

Jason Hagen

#92 Post by Jason Hagen » December 4th, 2018, 9:46 am

Jud Reis wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 3:33 pm
2013 Scherrer Old And Mature Vines Zin - Lovely nose of blackberry compote, slate and black pepper. Still youthful on the palate with a lovely balance of exburant blackberry fruit and balancing minerality and acidity. A pinot lover’s zinfandel. Great wine year in and year out.
I have included Jud's note for further reference.

This is post number 5000 for me. Tasting notes are not something I will be able to share for the foreseeable future but I continue to enjoy talking about wine and other nonsense.

Here is a pic of my lovelies. My family. The people you are supporting and loving. Only one of them was tasting the wine. As always, I am sure it was delicious.

Cheers,

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1175.JPG

Mike Grammer

#93 Post by Mike Grammer » December 4th, 2018, 10:35 am

Such a heartwarming pic, Jason, and more than enough reasons for you to keep fighting the good fight. Thank you for sharing, and sharing your journey and challenge with us. Hope to see you again soon.

Mike

Sean Devaney

#94 Post by Sean Devaney » December 4th, 2018, 1:59 pm

2016 Navarro Mendocino Zinfandel

Bramble and blackberry notes with a touch of Mendocino tomato on the nose. Fairly full bodied on the palate with more dark fruits, smooth entry and no signs of the 14.7% alc. Very enjoyable if not that complex. Enjoy over the next few years. Better on day two as the tomato notes have dissipated.

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by robert creth » December 4th, 2018, 8:20 pm

CF2F0E6A-75D1-4408-ACE6-AF09ED95375F.jpeg
Once and Future 2015 Dry Creek. My last bottle and it has done well being left alone for a bit. Somewhat boozy of a nose with deep dark almost imperceptible purple. I have been taking a break from Zins this year after going heavy last year and over did it. This was a nice surprise. Paired with a Flannery’s hanger steak this is everything I want from Zin. Pepper and boysenberry with a tannic grip and acid to cut the steak like ‘butta’. A great send off to my Zinfandel for awhile except for the sparklers from Under the Wire.

David Lewin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by David Lewin » December 4th, 2018, 9:47 pm

Kevyn and 2016 Papera.jpg
Kevyn and 2016 Papera.jpg (17.98 KiB) Viewed 114 times
Having earlier drunk one too old for me, tonight I'm drinking something too young, the 2016 Carlisle Papara. Younger than I prefer, but it's for Jason, it's the only Zinfandel I have in the house, and Mike Officer believes it may be the best Zinfandel he's ever made. And I took my full allocation of nine bottles. While it is improving in the glass since I opened it almost two hours ago, it still isn't something I would pay attention to had it not been so highly praised by Mike. It is very balanced, with acid and tannin in the background and nothing really sticking out. It stood up to some spicy Indian food, and I'll wait another two or three years to try my next bottle. It has shut down since Mike brought it down to our annual dinner in April when I noted the richness (not there now) and balance (it's most prominent feature).

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

FINAL Re: Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen 11/28 - 12/4

#97 Post by Brian Tuite » December 5th, 2018, 5:58 am

The notes are in and the tally is complete. A total of 53 tasting notes. $23 @$20/note and 30 @ $25/note so we raised $1,210.00 for Jason and his family. I’d like to thank everyone who posted their tasting notes and shared a little of themselves with all of us. Special thanks to the Berserkers who opened their wallets and donated. You set a good example for the rest of the community.
grouphug [berserker.gif]

If anyone would like to add to the donation total feel free to login to the GoFundMe page and make a donation of any amount or if you want to stay anonymous simply PM me.

Happy Holidays!

2018 WOTY...

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: FINAL Re: Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen 11/28 - 12/

#98 Post by brigcampbell » December 5th, 2018, 7:27 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 5:58 am
The notes are in and the tally is complete. A total of 53 tasting notes. $23 @$20/note and 30 @ $25/note so we raised $1,210.00 for Jason and his family. I’d like to thank everyone who posted their tasting notes and shared a little of themselves with all of us. Special thanks to the Berserkers who opened their wallets and donated. You set a good example for the rest of the community.
grouphug [berserker.gif]

If anyone would like to add to the donation total feel free to login to the GoFundMe page and make a donation of any amount or if you want to stay anonymous simply PM me.

Happy Holidays!
Sweet job on this one!

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: FINAL Re: Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen 11/28 - 12/

#99 Post by ky1em!ttskus » December 5th, 2018, 7:34 am

brigcampbell wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 7:27 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 5:58 am
grouphug [berserker.gif]

Happy Holidays!
Sweet job on this one!
+1. Good work, Brian! [cheers.gif]

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: FINAL TALLY Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen 11/28 - 1

#100 Post by Rich Brown » December 5th, 2018, 8:35 am

Agreed! Thanks for setting this up Brian!

Return to “Wine Talk”