FINAL TALLY Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen 11/28 - 12/4

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

FINAL TALLY Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen 11/28 - 12/4

#1 Post by Brian Tuite » November 26th, 2018, 8:43 pm

I love what Frank has done bringing the community together with these VTs. It all started back in 2013 when Frank was waxing about his cellar overflowing when I suggested a Frank Murray III Virtual Tasting so that we could help him create space for more wines. Frank took the reigns and, true to form, immediately made it about someone other than himself. He began the series with California Zinfandel and pledged a $10/note donation to Laura’s House.

While the original idea of weekly tastings didn’t live a long life, Franks idea of making it a Holiday Season tradition combined with charitable donations has become one of the highlights of the forum every year. A quick look at Brigs Virtual Tasting Compendium is a testament to the generosity of this community and this year there is no shortage of people in need.

So, in honor of our new Berserker of the Year, I’ll make this weeks Virtual Tasting topic California Zinfandel and/or California Zinfandel Dominant Field Blends. I’ll donate $5 for every Zinfandel tasting note added to this thread between November 28th and Dec 5th to the Jason Hagen GoFundMe account. Jason is one of our own and is in a battle with Liver Failure. Let’s do what we can to support one of our Wine Berserker Brothers. I also will double that donation for every note that includes a photo of YOU (not your cat Alan) with the wine. Remember to smile because our donations will help put smiles on others faces.

I’m also soliciting matching donations be it $1, $2, $3/note or more. If you want to be anonymous that’s fine or PM me. Or simply logon to the GoFundMe page and make a personal donation. Every dollar helps. So go to your cellar and line up a few bottles of Zin for this week. [berserker.gif]
Last edited by Brian Tuite on December 5th, 2018, 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2018 WOTY...
2014 Carter Cellars Wietz

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen

#2 Post by larry schaffer » November 26th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Darn it - opened 3 wonderful ones on T-Day . . . will have to find more to open this week, my friend.

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen

#3 Post by Brian Tuite » November 26th, 2018, 9:02 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 8:57 pm
Darn it - opened 3 wonderful ones on T-Day . . . will have to find more to open this week, my friend.

Cheers!
Go for it pal!

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2018 WOTY...

Mike Grammer

#4 Post by Mike Grammer » November 27th, 2018, 9:54 am

A wonderful idea, Rat--shouldn't be surprised that you came up with that. It'll be a bit difficult for me to squeeze in a note because I have a scope later this week, but I'll try to get to one tonight or tomorrow, or perhaps Sunday. But [welldone.gif]

J a y H a c k

#5 Post by J a y H a c k » November 27th, 2018, 11:29 am

Ooh. Ooh. Sweet spot of my cellar Carlisle, Bedrock, Outpost, Black Sears. I can't go with Saxum Paderewski because it's not a field blend. But no problem, we have plenty of other choices.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Paul Miller » November 27th, 2018, 11:42 am

I do like Zins

Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Mike Stoneking » November 27th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Hey Brian, I will back you up with an additional $5 donation for every tasting note.
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Frank Murray III » November 27th, 2018, 2:41 pm

Brian, thanks for carrying the torch forward, and for Mike to show the same leadership, too. I'll be posting some TNs when I can get a bottle or two open during the challenge.

Jason, hang in there buddy. When we did our very first OC offline, probably 15 years ago in San Juan, and the emerging community of wine lovers we saw come forward at the time, you were part of that movement. The guys here are going to do some good work for you, to show that we'er all behind you, pal.
My best wines of 2018:
2013 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier d'Or
2015 Kutch Sonoma Coast PN
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay
2012 Savart Expression Nature Ecueil
2010 Tercero Verbiage (Rouge) Santa Barbara County

Kindness matters.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Jim Stewart » November 27th, 2018, 4:06 pm

[cheers.gif]

. . . going way back, circa 1975 to Italian Swiss Colony, probably the first Zinfandel we tasted

cali zin.JPG
Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Brian Tuite » November 27th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 4:06 pm
[cheers.gif]

. . . going way back, circa 1975 to Italian Swiss Colony, probably the first Zinfandel we tasted

cali zin.JPG
Whoa! Nice pull.

2018 WOTY...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Brian Tuite » November 27th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Mike Stoneking wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 12:26 pm
Hey Brian, I will back you up with an additional $5 donation for every tasting note.
Thanks Mike! I have another anonymous donor of $2/note!
[berserker.gif] grouphug

2018 WOTY...

Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Mike Stoneking » November 27th, 2018, 6:10 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 5:56 pm
Mike Stoneking wrote:
[berserker.gif] grouphug
Nice!
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Scott Brunson » November 28th, 2018, 2:55 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 5:56 pm
Mike Stoneking wrote:
[berserker.gif] grouphug
I'll match Brian/Mike
I'll baby-kill a '16 Carlisle/Carlisle tonight.
Why is this thread not a sticky?
[berserker.gif]
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen 11/28 - 12/4

#14 Post by brigcampbell » November 28th, 2018, 3:02 pm

They get more visibility not being sticky... seriously.

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 2 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Back to its roots: California Zinfandel for Jason Hagen 11/28 - 12/4

#15 Post by T. Altmayer » November 28th, 2018, 3:36 pm

2016 Turley Juvenile -- Consistently a good QPR. Dark as you would expect, but a bit more acidity and brightness than you might expect, especially for a $20 zin. Not overly dense, not overly complex, just a really good wine with a beef stew on a colder night.

I'll match at a dollar a note, just send me a bill at the end. champagne.gif
Tom

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Scott Brunson » November 28th, 2018, 3:43 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 3:02 pm
They get more visibility not being sticky... seriously.
bump [wink.gif]
On CT, I'm S1

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » November 28th, 2018, 4:52 pm

2016 Once & Future Wine Zinfandel Oakley Road Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (11/28/2018)
Fresh red fruit, spice and a distinct fir tree/minty note make for a pleasurable and holiday-appropriate aromatic melange. It’s medium bodied, lightly tannic, and ever so drinkable. Balance is excellent.

Posted from CellarTracker
65A8F470-84EB-45BC-B0EB-76661BA8029D.jpeg
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by ky1em!ttskus » November 28th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Line 'em up, line 'em up! Love me some Zin! [berserker.gif]

2016 Dry Creek Valley Heritage

PnP: explosive nose of just huge zinberry fruit. On the palate, some nice, grippy structure, lots of dark, dense fruit, and some oak. This feels young, but it's delicious. Nothing is out of balance, but it all needs to settle down. I think I paid $15/btl for this? Bonkers QPR. I'm going for more. In a year or three, I'll be wishing I had bought a case.

To you, Jason. More to come. [cheers.gif]

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Frank Murray III » November 28th, 2018, 5:59 pm

This one is for you, Brunson.

Rat, so what is the aggregate value for TN now, given all the cool matching donors that have signed on?

As for my TN, and in honor of Mr Hagen, here you go. This may be my only one for the challenge but I will stay tuned into the thread and enjoy seeing the action.
  • 2016 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/28/2018)
    Last tasted at the winery when we visited in July. I dug it then, and its drinking stellar again today. These bottles arrived a few weeks ago, and given the charity challenge running for our man Jason Hagen, figured this was a good bottle to honor him and his health. Opened this about 30 mins ago, dumped it into a nice stem, serving it at 66 degrees. Vintage after vintage, this is consistently beautiful stuff, a wine I have been drinking for 16 vintages. Distinctly juicy, with a bright core of acidity that frames the dark raspberry, some light vanilla and a finishing purity of cobbler-like fruit. The finish has excellent structure, with a final note of licorice. Delicious again, Mr Officer.
My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Andrew Demaree » November 28th, 2018, 6:09 pm

2013 Bucklin ‘Old Hill Ranch Ancient Field Blend’

This is a wonderful wine - one of the best field blends I’ve had, really. There’s an impression of wild raspberries and boysenberries on the front end, backed by a layer of mildly peppery spice, and presented in a medium-bodied frame. The tannins are mostly resolved and the finish is clean and just a touch sweet. This was ready to go with minimal air.

This is only my second or third Bucklin and I’m becoming a big fan.

19EAFD46-DF82-49D6-9358-FB83D4D877CD.jpeg
E3987865-C530-46CD-892D-3431EB9625FC.jpeg

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Scott Brunson » November 28th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 5:59 pm
This one is for you, Brunson.

Rat, so what is the aggregate value for TN now, given all the cool matching donors that have signed on?

As for my TN, and in honor of Mr Hagen, here you go. This may be my only one for the challenge but I will stay tuned into the thread and enjoy seeing the action.
  • 2016 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/28/2018)
    Last tasted at the winery when we visited in July. I dug it then, and its drinking stellar again today. These bottles arrived a few weeks ago, and given the charity challenge running for our man Jason Hagen, figured this was a good bottle to honor him and his health. Opened this about 30 mins ago, dumped it into a nice stem, serving it at 66 degrees. Vintage after vintage, this is consistently beautiful stuff, a wine I have been drinking for 16 vintages. Distinctly juicy, with a bright core of acidity that frames the dark raspberry, some light vanilla and a finishing purity of cobbler-like fruit. The finish has excellent structure, with a final note of licorice. Delicious again, Mr Officer.
ditto neener
Great notes FM3. I'll add a nice layer of wild blueberry, green herbs, and a hint of cinnamon stick. Alcohol is balanced.
Kyser, the Golden Retriever, is drooling because the bottle is not quite empty yet.
On CT, I'm S1

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Brian Tuite » November 28th, 2018, 6:32 pm

Carlisle Carlisle it is then. Frank, as for the donations I’m trying to get some clarity but the way i read it now it’s $17 per note or $27 with a pic of a Berserker. All for a good cause.
  • 2011 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/28/2018)
    Deep dark electric purple. Aromas of blackberry, boysenberry, blueberry and licorice jump from the glass. Juicy core of purple fruit, lovely texture and just enough grip to keep it in balance. This is fantastic!
B2237AFC-4357-4D02-9A8B-082AF3E21521.jpeg
  • 2016 Bear Flag Wine Zinfandel - USA, California, Sonoma County (11/28/2018)
    Servicable Zin, a bit nondescript. Zin fruit, a bit flabby, lacking complexity. Good enough burger wine but wouldn’t search it out. The Carlisle killed it. Unfair comparison I suppose. Was this made at The Ranch? The label suggests as much. Oh Linda...
B3F0672C-2D0C-4F9D-B64B-38A78176F7D7.jpeg

2018 WOTY...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Brian Tuite » November 28th, 2018, 7:21 pm

“Clarity now!”

Current donation is $17 per note or $22 per note that includes a picture of you with the bottle!

Update: $20 and $25 with you pictured! Way to go guys and gals!
Last edited by Brian Tuite on November 28th, 2018, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2018 WOTY...

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Scott Watkins » November 28th, 2018, 7:30 pm

2014 Historic Vineyard Society Zinfandel Old Vine Pagani Vineyard

This bottle was created for a great cause to help save historic vineyards, I bought it at a Falltacular auction to help Laura's House so it only seems fitting that it should be consumed to help someone in need. This bottle it would seem has done everything it was made for and then some! Anyways this has only been opened for a half hour at most and is dominated by red spicy fruit, there is a a bit of black and blue Zinberry on the mid palate and finish and has that dark Pagani fruit/depth lurking in the background that I love so much. If I had more I would wait a few years to consume it seems to have the structure and acid to go the distance. If any happens to show up at next years Falltacular auction I would be a bidder for sure (hint hint).

Count me in as a $3 per note backer for this week. [berserker.gif]
Pruning the vine is a primordial gesture through which man passes from barbarity to culture.

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Steve Gautier » November 29th, 2018, 6:15 am

2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Hayne Vineyard -
PnP. Pours dark with very slight bricking at the edge. Nose is full of bright red fruit which is replaced on the palate with dark fruit including black cherry and black raspberry. Loren’s discription of velvety is spot on. It exudes elegance. Wish I had more.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

David Lewin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by David Lewin » November 29th, 2018, 12:11 pm

2009 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard (CVZ) – Some alcohol starting to peek through, but otherwise balanced. While CVZ generally ages longer than other vineyards (and has aged better than the Montafi and Papera in this vintage), I think it's seen its peak and is in a gentle decline. Mike Officer has its drinking window ending this year, and I think he has nailed it. None of this prevented me from enjoying it last night after a rough day at work. Get better Jason.
Attachments
2009 CVZ.jpg
2009 CVZ.jpg (18.85 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Last edited by David Lewin on November 29th, 2018, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Paul Miller » November 29th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Last night my wife and I, along with another couple, went to a wine tasting with Kathleen Inman. After some killer Pinots, we walked over to Butcher & The Burger (on Armitage in Lincoln Park, Chicago) - great burgers, and it's BYOB. We brought a Bedrock Puccini.

2013 Bedrock, Puccini Vineyard, Sonoma Valley, Sonoma County, Zinfandel
Popped and poured into cheap glasses with no decant. Big Zin. Deep dark and brooding. Firm tannins and lots of mouthfeel. Somewhat puckering, teeth sucking. Dry Zin with olive, tar, tea. Somewhat woody. Spicy, white pepper. Tart, with tart strawberry and tart raspberry. I would let this sit another couple of years. Wish I could have decanted, and I wish I had also brought our own stems. Still very enjoyable wine, and went great with burgers & fries. Had a few admirers in the restaurant looking at the bottle.

IMG_3222.JPG
Me, front right. My wife Nancy, back left.

IMG_3227.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#28 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 29th, 2018, 2:29 pm

OMG I didn't see this! I love you, Brian Tuite, and I know Jason will be ecstatic about this.

I will have a Zin queued up to spend Brian's money, putting it toward Jason's GoFundMe. Thanks, Brian. That's why you are BOTY 2017, fo sho
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Rich Brown » November 29th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Hold on. Brian set up a zinfandel/picture themed tasting for charity!?!? Oh buddy boy, you better keep your wallet handy!! ;)

2015 Matthiasson Zinfandel, Limerick Lane Vineyard.

Wow, this is REALLY good! Bright/zippy purple brambly fruits with lifted semi-sour cherries and more than enough acidity. At 13.9% alcohol, this is very fresh and easy to drink, but plenty of delicious zinfandel flavor. A more restrained version of LL compared to Carlisle, Bedrock, and definitely the estate Limerick Lane offering, but just as delicious. Very well made and honestly one of the more exciting zins I've had in a while. I'll be getting more for sure....and will be sure to post a note/picture here when I do ;)

[media] [/media]

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Jud Reis » November 29th, 2018, 3:33 pm

2013 Scherrer Old And Mature Vines Zin - Lovely nose of blackberry compote, slate and black pepper. Still youthful on the palate with a lovely balance of exburant blackberry fruit and balancing minerality and acidity. A pinot lover’s zinfandel. Great wine year in and year out.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Paul Miller » November 29th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Jud Reis wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 3:33 pm
2013 Scherrer Old And Mature Vines Zin - Lovely nose of blackberry compote, slate and black pepper. Still youthful on the palate with a lovely balance of exburant blackberry fruit and balancing minerality and acidity. A pinot lover’s zinfandel. Great wine year in and year out.
Love Fred’s wines

kyledorsey

#32 Post by kyledorsey » November 29th, 2018, 4:50 pm

Bedrock Old Vine Zin 2016 - Forward flavors of raspberry jam, candy cinnamon, and sasparilla. Sappy finish. Some astringency to the tannins, though softens with time in the glass.
Attachments
bedrock.png

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by ky1em!ttskus » November 29th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Wait... does Jason get more $$ for our ugly mugs?

2016 Bedrock OVZ

More reticent nose than the 16 DCV last night. Fruity red fruit. Yum. I get like a cinnamon bear thing mid-palate. Perfumed. Juicy, grippy tannins. This is on the PnP. Friends heading over for some pasta in a bit. [cheers.gif]
Attachments
IMG_0255 (1).JPG
IMG_0255 (1).JPG (16.01 KiB) Viewed 717 times

Pete Lawley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Pete Lawley » November 29th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Yin and Zin.jpg
2011 Scherrer Shale Terrace Zinfandel
PNP
A Yin Zin. Light mouthfeel. Soft and feminine; a silky Zin. Subdued flavors of raspberry and pepper. Very balanced and on the lighter side of Zinfandel. A pleasure to drink.
Pete

"I felt like a kazoo player sitting in with Coltrane" - Robin Williams on doing improv with Jonathan Winters.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Frank Murray III » November 29th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Rat, i wanted my TN to get max value, and since Jason is a Kings fan, i spiced up the photo. BTW, this is a spot on vintage for Carlisle Carlisle, picking up a real good spine of acidity from yesterday along with structure. 2016 is gonna age well. Great thread guys.
20181129_173733.jpg
My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by brigcampbell » November 29th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Worst selfie ever! The warden is making turkey soup on a cold and rainy socal evening. Thankfully.
  • 2011 Ridge Geyserville - USA, California, Sonoma County (11/29/2018)
    My relationship with Geyserville is conflicted. I want to love it. The bottle is cool, love the label, Draper is a stud, but I've had 10 vintages and I never fell in love. Just friends with benefits. Dark cherry color. Aroma is very attractive with black licorice and raspberries. The palate is built on an oak platform and that might be the problem. Cherry fruit flavor is good.
Attachments
20181129_175511_HDR~2.jpg

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Alan Rath » November 29th, 2018, 7:00 pm

2013 Lagier Meredith Zinfandel Tribidrag - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (11/29/2018)
Dark garnet in color, not quite opaque; I get some nice, subtle crushed berries on the nose, with some hints of zinberry and dried savory herbs; palate has a lot going on, with medium body, pure, bright zinfandel fruit, a fascinating savory note that I've come to expect of the Zin from this vineyard, lively acidity, and some fine tannins holding it all together. For such a young vineyard this has great complexity and interest. I wish I could be around 50 years from now to drink old vine wines coming from the vineyard, I think it has the promise of being something truly special. (93 pts.)

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by brigcampbell » November 29th, 2018, 7:24 pm

I want to drink with Alan!

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Cris Whetstone » November 29th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Damn. I haven't logged in in a while. Glad I did tonight. I popped an excellent 07 Ridge Lytton last week but I have some more Ridge ATP selections at home to pull from plus a '93 Lytton Springs Winery Zin that just found it's excuse to get popped.

I think Brig owes double for his half pic. [berserker.gif]
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Alan Rath » November 29th, 2018, 9:13 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 7:24 pm
I want to drink with Alan!
I only drink alone. In the dark.

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Cris Whetstone » November 29th, 2018, 9:21 pm

1993 Lytton Springs Winery Zinfandel - Still purple without much bricking at all. Intense, big Zinberry fruit still even though the flesh is about gone. Shows some of it's 15.2% around the back of the palate. Very light tannic feel around the edges. The fruit is a bit fat in the middle, asking for more acidity to clean it up. But this is about the power of the fruit and that's basically how they describe what it is on the label. The label says it's made from several vineyards in the area as well as the old vine Lytton stock. They also say there is some Carignan and Alicante in the mix but no Petit Sirah. This drinks like many age worthy Zins drink at 7-10 years. Yum.
Attachments
20181129_204446.jpg
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Vince T » November 29th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Nice work setting this up. Was planning to bust out a bottle of the Under the Wire sparkling zin but sadly left on the other coast.

So, the Bedrock 2016 Weill-a-way Mixed Blacks instead!

Classic zinberry nose - bright and lifted. While young and tannic, I’m appreciating the freshness - medium bodied, crunchy red and purple fruits, a bit of licorice, pine and ash. Something more exotic like curry leaf lurking. Plenty of acid and no sense of heat or flabbiness that I’ve found in older Weill mixed blacks. Excellent length on the finish. (92)
8D999FFD-0391-432B-A46F-4FBCC1071248.jpeg
T s 3 n g

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Brian Tuite » November 30th, 2018, 7:25 am

Nice start everybody! Remember, every pic of your mug with the wine means another donation $5 on top of the note. grouphug

2018 WOTY...

Fred Bower

#44 Post by Fred Bower » November 30th, 2018, 8:24 am

I pulled a relic out last night to contribute to the cause here. This was purchased up at the Monte Bello tasting room (along with the '92 and '93) on the first trip I took with my (not yet at the time) wife down to California.

1994 Ridge Lytton Estate (ATP bottling)
Color still pretty intact but thinned out quite a bit. There was not a tremendous amount of sediment, so I left the wine in the bottle after the cork came out in pristine condition. Initial aromas show dusty red fruits. With time some vanilla and currant notes emerge. This shows the darker fruit character from the petite sirah in the blend (I think) on the palate with a rustic gritty tannin underlayer that frames dirt, red fruit, tobacco, plum, and pepper notes. This carries into a medium finish. I can see this as an interesting old artifact in another 10 years (or more), but it's past its prime years of drinking for most. I enjoyed these old Lytton Estate bottlings when they were in regular ATP rotation.
IMG_4718.JPG
Cheers,
fred

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Brian Tuite » November 30th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Fred Bower wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 8:24 am
I pulled a relic out last night to contribute to the cause here. This was purchased up at the Monte Bello tasting room (along with the '92 and '93) on the first trip I took with my (not yet at the time) wife down to California.

1994 Ridge Lytton Estate (ATP bottling)
Color still pretty intact but thinned out quite a bit. There was not a tremendous amount of sediment, so I left the wine in the bottle after the cork came out in pristine condition. Initial aromas show dusty red fruits. With time some vanilla and currant notes emerge. This shows the darker fruit character from the petite sirah in the blend (I think) on the palate with a rustic gritty tannin underlayer that frames dirt, red fruit, tobacco, plum, and pepper notes. This carries into a medium finish. I can see this as an interesting old artifact in another 10 years (or more), but it's past its prime years of drinking for most. I enjoyed these old Lytton Estate bottlings when they were in regular ATP rotation.

IMG_4718.JPG

Cheers,
fred
[welldone.gif]

2018 WOTY...

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » November 30th, 2018, 6:34 pm

2014 Turley Zinfandel Kirschenmann Vineyard - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (11/30/2018)
Served with pulled pork this was rich, deeply fruity and showing a distinct spicy note that had nothing to do with the sauce for the pork! As thankfully common with Tegan’s Turley wines, the alcohol stayed in the background, allowing the fruit and spice center stage. Lots of fun to drink now, this should be good for short to mid term cellaring.

David Bueker - Rieslingfan

J a y H a c k

#47 Post by J a y H a c k » November 30th, 2018, 6:41 pm

• 2014 Black Sears Zinfandel Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (11/30/2018)
    This was true infanticide. Spicy pepper and sharp red fruit, but way too young and harsh. We popped and poured, which is not the best strategy, and it calmed down a bit with air, but not calm enough. Let the rest of these sit for a few years. This is a great wine, we know it is a great wine, but it is in a dumb phase, or at least not its best phase.
Black Sears 2.jpg
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Brian Tuite » November 30th, 2018, 7:01 pm

2017 Turley Old Vines Zinfandel - Baby killing but that’s why I buy a case of this every vintage. Abundant raspberry/blackberry fruit, brambly goodness. Long and pleasing with great depth. Tegan holds the reins back on this and lets the old vines do the talking. A no brainer purchase year in and year out.

54D324BA-3AA2-4E63-9D91-CCFABEFA6D19.jpeg

2018 WOTY...

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Rich Brown » November 30th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Sticking with the relics theme, I popped this beauty tonight. 1976 Carneros Creek Winery, Late Picked Zinfandel, Esola Vineyard, Amador County.

Another huge winner from Carneros Creek Winery. Ive snagged quite a few at auction from the 70's - early 80's (zin, PS, and cabs) and honestly, I don't think I've had a bad bottle from them yet. This is still dark as night in the glass with VERY little bricking/browning at all. Nice restrained zin-fruit on the nose without really any of the mustiness that sometimes plagues older zinfandels. Fully integrated smokey, ripe purple fruits in the mouth in more of a medium plus bodied frame with ample acidity. Must have been a bruiser back in the day as its still pretty youthful and only just now starting to fully settle in. Super enjoyable....and even more so knowing that Brian will be opening his wallet again for a very good cause :)

[media] [/media]

[media] [/media]

Jason Hagen

#50 Post by Jason Hagen » December 1st, 2018, 12:33 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 2:41 pm

Jason, hang in there buddy. When we did our very first OC offline, probably 15 years ago in San Juan, and the emerging community of wine lovers we saw come forward at the time, you were part of that movement. The guys here are going to do some good work for you, to show that we'er all behind you, pal.

Remember it well. Maybe with Augie Hug? Also the first Falltacualar. I wonder how many people know where that name came from. And your first avatar was a Kings logo. Oh how the mighty have fallen. [wow.gif]

Here is a fairly old pic with maybe the first Chardonnay that Brian Loring labeled. And Alcina!! [wink.gif]

1165_1055304148690_2548_n.jpg

Jason

Return to “Wine Talk”