Suggestions for whites?

I bought too many reds this year. Looking for suggestions on any whites (burg, bordeaux, etc). No champagnes/sparkling. Something priced around $50-175. Any vintage.

Thanks!

Good quality riesling can be found for a fraction of that price.

No idea where you are, so no idea what’s available… but…

Mount Eden Vineyards Estate Chardonnay. ~$50 - 100. Literally any vintage, but 2010 is in a sweet spot right now (with a decade or more ahead of it).

If not, Domaine de Chevalier Pessac-Leognan Blanc. Here you want to be more careful with vintage. 2009, 2010 and 2015 are the best current releases.

Dan Kravitz

Style? Region? Any guidance at all?

Without knowing your stylistic preferences, I’ll suggest some directions from mine.

Austria: Alzinger, Donabaum, FX Pichler, Hirztberger, Knoll, Nikolaihof, Nigl, and plenty more.

Italy: Jermann, Cantina Terlano, Vie di Romans, Valentini

Oregon: Cameron, Evening Land, Eyrie, Goodfellow.

Aubert Chards-any of them !

I didnt want to set any perimeters on the suggestions. Anything you like is what I will take into consideration.

I figured I will check out the 2015 Martin Mullen Trarbacher Huhnerberg Riesling Spatlese trocken* ‘3te Terrasse’ since that is on your '18 WOTY but wine-searcher comes up empty. Any suggestions on where I can purchase one?

Oxholm Vin
Denmark: Copenhagen

Trarbacher Huhnerberg Riesling Spatlese 2015, Martin Mullen $ 57.48 Bottle inc. sales tax Go to Shop

I will check out the Mount Eden. So any Mount Eden? I saw there were many from different areas.

I really like the Domaine de chevalier Blanc idea. I will definitely grab this one as well. Thx!

You should try a Sauvignon blanc or Morillon (Chardonnay) from Styria (Steiermark)/Austria.

But I´ve no idea what´s available for you and at what prices … but all should be less expensive than Bordeaux blanc, Burgundy and even Austrian Riesling from Wachau …

Many producers, for instance Tement, E.Sabathi, Potzinger, Gross, Sattlerhof, Lackner-Tinnacher, Neumeister, Wohlmuth, Sepp Muster, Polz (only the special vineyards) … many more

I tend to like bigger styled non-chard whites so, in that vein;

Condrieu Guigal, Villard)
hermitage blanc (Chapoutier, Paul Jaboulet)
Chateauneuf-du-pape blanc (these can be hit or miss, but like Beaucastel)
Austrian Gruners (my fav, Knoll)
Weinbach’s cuvee catherine pinot gris

Intermediate body wines:
Miani, Valentini, Etna Blancs whites from Italy
Jura Savagnin or Savagnin/chard blends
Trimbach’s cuvee Frederic Emile
Dageneau Pur Sang

Most of the Loire chenin’s (Huet, Chidaine, Foreau) are below your price point.

If you bought too many reds, the solution is not to buy more whites!

Thx!

Yong,

Mount Eden Estate Chardonnay comes from the Santa Cruz Mountains. They make a negociant wine from the Edna Valley. In some vintages they make an Estate Chardonnay Reserve. Any Mount Eden Chardonnay from the Santa Cruz Mountains will be brilliant wine, sometimes great.

Dan Kravitz

Do you have some specific suggestions, Brian? (especially some “for a fraction of that price” and available - I am in the Boston area too) I am trying to ease into the Riesling world a bit. Only recent experience was with 2015 AJ Adam Drohner Hofberg Kabinett, which I enjoyed and bought more of . Would like to test drive a few other examples. Thanks. -Jim

Might be fun for you to run a spectrum, Yong, and then see what appeals.

Bordeaux Blanc – Carbonnieux, Malarctic Lagraviere and Fieuzal can be good entry points here, Domaine du Chevalier, Pape Clement and Smith-Haut Lafitte at the upper end (won’t even bother mentioning the uber-pricey but so-good Haut Brion)

Burgundy – Chablis, a 1er or Grand Cru from Louis Michel or Patrick Piuze perhaps. Chassagne from Ramonet or a Meursault from one of the Jobard family

Gruner – I like Knoll too, but also favour F.X. Pichler and, of course, Prager if you can get some

Albarino – Raul Perez’ Sketch and Rara Avis have captivated me in the past

Condrieu – I like Vernay and Gangloff’s products

Sancerre/Loire – love me some Cotat (either brother). Can rarely go wrong with pre-09 Huet (or even the past year’s vintage) for Chenin Blanc.

Riesling – so depends on your style preference. Christoffel, Donnhoff, Egon Muller in Germany, Zind-Humbrecht, Deiss, Boxler in Alsace.

These are just off the top of my head, haven’t even mentioned California Chard or Sauv Blanc! Have fun exploring.

Sante

Mike

Save yourself some $$ and get some Pepiere Muscadet.

Chateau Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc Roussanne Vieilles Vignes

So many great ideas!!! Hopefully I can find halves since I am not sure if I can drink all these fast enough. Ha!