TN: 2007 Domaine Dujac Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Malconsorts

• 2007 Domaine Dujac Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Malconsorts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (11/26/2018)
    So at first I thought it was a bit muted and perhaps damaged. This was simply that I needed to re-calibrate my senses to this wine. I have been drinking more up front and fruit forward Burgundy. This is different. It is subtle. The nose has hints of wild forest strawberries with hints of Vosne spice wafting from the bowl of the glass. They subtely assert themselves as you get used to the delicate and light notes from the wine. On taste you think the taste a bit muted - but this is because of the fine tannins overwhelming the front of the palate. The body is light and the taste lasts a long time. It is subtle and sublime. A great wine that needs quite a bit of time for the fine tannins to resolve. It is just unfurling a bit of its charm.

Posted from CellarTracker

I had this wine two times, and both times have been rather disapointed … it is simply too light (for what it is and should be) and lacking concentration and length (IMHO).
Yes, it is balanced, it is fine, one could call it subtle, charming, delicate … but for 300+ bucks and one of the best 1er Crus in Vosne and a top producer that´s not enough, even in a light vintage like 2007. I had better wines for much less …

Sure I´m writing only about MY 2 bottles …

Different vintage but 06 of same wine underwhelming to me for the price.

Sounds awesome. I have really loved many a 2007 for these traits. I did not get the Malconsorts in 2007, wish I would have.

I clearly prefered the 06 to the 07 …
however if you think about the fact that this Malconsorts contains a portion of “Les Gaudichots” … it should be simply more concentrated …

Good info; thanks.

I have not tried the 07

Heard in Jeremy’s interview with Levi that the Malconsorts seems to get better with each passing vintage. The 10’ was the best to that date, then the 12’ eclipsed that, and so on. Seem to recall the vines are starting to mature.

Not sure how much Gaudichots makes it in to the wine, but it looks like a solid slice, and it is a prime slice of Malconsorts. Someone posted this map to one of the Burgundy FB groups today, with help from one of Steen Ohman’s maps.
IMG_6397.JPG

Dujac owns 1.33 ha of Malconsorts + 0.24 ha of Les Gaudichots (the narrow strip on the southern end of La Tâche, green in your map), so the Gaudichot-part is around 15%.

This practice was already granted to the former owner Moillard, under the condition that they never declared a seperate Gaudichots.

Good to know…and with Dujac taking over in 2005, it makes sense they needed some years to get the farming up to their high standards.

I love 07 Dujac but that 07 Malconsorts has always been too light for me. Especially when compared to the wonderful Echezeaux, CDLR, and CSD.

How cool would it be if they separated the Gaudichots? Dujac Gaudichots has a nice ring to it. Talk about unicorn wine…

I enjoyed this wine with a fellow Berserker a couple of years ago. It was very memorable. It is a light wine, which seems to reflect the vintage. It just kind of laid there for two hours and then turned to silk. I remember all of the sudden we both looked up at each other when it happened and said the same thing. I thought it was very serious wine compared to other '07s I’ve had and it needs time for sure.

Here’s my note in part: “Limpid ruby color. Aromas of rose water, pomegranate and spice. This starts with some stem action, dark cherry, a toss of earth and spiced finish.” I recall I paid $150 for this on release. I also bought the Echezeaux from Dujac in 2007.

Burghound notes on Dujac Malconsorts also mention that, in addition to getting the vineyard practices normalized to Dujac standards, they had to get a proper feel for the vinification practices that best suit the site. Thus, the more recent examples have been improving as the crew figures it out.

Cheers,
fred

Compared to Dujacs other 2007s the Malconsorts is (too) light and a bit harmless (for me).
However I didn´t taste all 2007s, but CDLR and ECH were far better.

I´m afraid it is similar forbidden for Dujac to declare the parcel as Gaudichots - see Moillard above.

Sorry Gerhard - I think you gave several notes that you thought it was too light I think we all heard.

One of the reasons I thought it was noteworthy is the need to re-calibrate one’s palate. I thought it was refreshing to have a complex wine that is more subtle than a concentrated wine:) I think it is representative of the vintage and the vineyard. Our tastes are apparently different. I think Burgundy is quite varied as to vineyards, style, and vintage with plenty of room for enjoyment for various tastes.