Rousseau | Vogüé | Arnoux

• 2009 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru
    Late release. Black fruit, soil and coffee on the nose. Supple and full on the palate with a deep core of pure fruit with fine concentration and balance. (93 pts.)

• 2001 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Musigny Cuvée Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Musigny Grand Cru
    Aromas of wild berries and soil. Intense and concentrated palate supported by ample tannins, but lacking fruit and energy! (92 pts.)

• 2004 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
    Complex plums, spice and soil on the nose. Ample, layared palate, richly textured with a prominent core of green fruit and showing more vintage character than terroir! (91 pts.)

• 2005 Domaine Robert Arnoux Romanée St. Vivant - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Romanée St. Vivant Grand Cru
    Late release. Attractive, expressive bouquet of blackcurrant and soil. Concentrated palate with firm tannins, black fruit, earth and penetrating spice. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note, I have the CSJ so I was curious about it.

Paul

Sounds like a pretty lackluster showing for the Musigny and RSV? Do you think it’s a timing thing for either of those wines, or just what they are? Thanks for your recent notes btw - you’ve been drinking well!

I´ve tasted all big 3 2004 Rousseau in early 2007, and they were full of green meanies and really not enjoyable …

I must have had a better bottles of the Musigny. I tasted it thrice so far. Few of my notes:

Soon after release at a comparative tasting of top 2001s ( which incl DRC, Leroy, and Rousseau)
2001 Musigny was very vibrant. Held against light it was translucent; brilliant ruby red colour. The nose, too, was amazing with a concoction of star anise, soy and rose petals. On the palate a array of dark fruits was followed by a cedary finish. It had excellent grip. A real stunner.

At a de Vogue Musigny vertical in 2016:
2001 Musigny: Seductive. Sauve. Less intense fruit ( cf adjacent wines) but perfectly proportioned. Amazing drinkable.

Yes a bit disappointing! with the Musigny lacking balance and RSV the spicetones were sticking out …

I don´t think the RSV 2005 is disapointing … at least I´m not reading this with 93 points … and I´ve tasted it 2 times, however 10 years ago and from cask.
I simply think a 2005 of this level is too young, needs more time … I had a Village Chambolle-M (Arnoux) recently, and also this one was on the young side and not really expressive …

The Romanee Saint Vivant is a 0.375 ha plot located next to La Grande Rue. The vines here are close to 100 years old and they only got 20 hl/ha in 2015

Charles Lachaux made changes at the estate in recent vintages ; less use of new oak, less extraction and a quite high percentage of whole cluster grapes in the wines.