TN: Two NapaVlly Vermouths...(short/boring)

Tried these two new (to me) Vermouths w/ James&Lynn up in Loveland a week ago:

1. D’Pampe Pamplemousse Vermouth (17%; PinotNoir rose base wine) B by Mommenpop/Napa NV: Copper/salmon bit bronze color; very strong floral/grapefruity/citric very perfumey/aromatic beautiful nose; some sweet bit alcoholic intense citrusy/grapefruit/floral/perfumed lovely flavor; very long/lingering intense grapefruity/citrusy some sweet bit alcoholic finish; beautiful intensely grapefruity vermouth. $22.00/hlf (Cured)

1. D’Sange BloodOrange Vermouth (17.5%; PinotNoir base wine infused w/ blood orange/black pepper/secret spices) NV: Med.dark garnet color; very intense citrusy/orangey quite perfumed/aromatic slight alcoholic lovely nose; bit soft somewhat sweet (1%-2% r.s?) very intense citrusy/blood orange bit alcoholic beautiful flavor; very long/lingering intense blood orange/citrusy bit alcoholic slightly sweet finish; intense blood orange character. $22.00/hlf (Cured)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. These two vermouths come from Samantha Sheehan of Poe Vnyds, a producer that specializes in PinotNoir wines. These are a great after-dinner drink as they’re not as sweet as a liquer. Or with a shot of sparkling water or a prosecco. Maybe a bit on the simple/monochromatic note but the kind of wine you just love to sit and sniff all night or put a splash on your girlfriend’s neck.
    Tom

Love the one from Matthiasson, Tom,

Definitely complex, but a bit pricier.

Yup, Josh…love the Matthiasson one as well. Much more complex than these two, as you say.
Tom

Curious why you’d drink these for the price over what is available in Italy and Spain.

Because, Kris…I just wanted to see what they were like. Not specifically shopping for a Vermouth.
Tom

For my part, Kris,
Also curious, but the Mathiasson turned out to be quite different from the ones I’ve had from Italy, which are not many. (I intended to go to a “vermouth bar” in Barcelona, when I was there, but I never made it, so I am not familiar with the Spanish ones.) Mathiasson is much less dark fruited and herbed than the European ones, notably complex, and also citric, as Tom found in the ones he wrote up. You couldn’t use it as a mixer, only really drinkable on its own.

Josh, Tom,

Not a personal shot, but with the accessibility of Vermouth today and the quality, I try many, but havent found a better Vermouth than Carpano Antica (before or after I’ve sold it) and the fact there are so many great craft items out there from Italy and Spain, many of which border on Amaro for complexity and viability as a stand alone apertif.

I was quite addicted to vermouths for a while and have to agree that the Carpano Antica remains a real favorite though I also really enjoy the Mathiasson. Nowadays I stick with one or the other if I’m not drinking wine.