Court ruling allows NJ BYOB restaurants to advertise

Our liquor laws here in NJ are archaic, to say the least…It’s really hard and very expensive to get a liquor license to sell even beer and wine. The scarcity of available licenses means that they sometimes command $1M+ price tags, which pretty much prices the little guy out of the market. This new ruling could be the first step in opening up the market here. I’m not sure how I feel about it though, as I like the fact that we have so many really good restaurants that are BYO. I like to BYO and it saves me a fortune on ridiculous wine markups. Of course the best of both worlds would be to open up the market, allow more restaurants to sell beer and wine, and for those restaurants to also still allow BYO for a modest corkage fee (like is done in California and many other states). We can only hope…

The best part about living in NJ is all the great BYO restaurants. The food HAS to be good, and often it is. It really was a big part of why I started collecting wine, since many years ago, I always found myself going to my local wine store and buying a bottle for dinner out. Now I am spoiled, and I resent when I can’t bring my own bottle here in Florida.

Sherri, agree that it is one of the best parts about living in NJ but I’ve found quite a few restaurants that let me BYO in Florida in the Tampa area for reasonable corkage.

I’m trying to square this with the argument, often made, that restaurants only stay afloat because of wine/beer/liquor sales. How does a restaurant with no liquor license stay in the black?

Most restaurants in NJ do NOT have liquor licenses. They are allocated based on population, and there are different licenses for restaurants vs stores. In the town where I lived, there were a couple bars and a couple restaurants with a liquor license, but many BYO restaurants, including arguably one of the very best restaurants in the state (Common Lot). As I said in my previous posts, the ones that survive have really good food and can charge higher food prices and get it.

Oddly, BYO isn’t wildly popular in NJ. Not sure most people understand you can do it.

BTW it’s not just wine and beer. We ate in a great Italian restaurant and the table next to us brought a bottle of Titos vodka and 3 mixers. Party.

When visiting we always do it.

Lubrano’s Trattoria
2439 New Jersey 34 South, Manasquan, NJ 08736
(732) 292-0050
https://goo.gl/maps/V6GtBviqpvt

I see spirits on the tables at BYOB’s all the time. It’s not a oddity at all.

Free corkage in exchange for $24k in property taxes isn’t an awesome trade

Lol. True. [swearing.gif]

In Westchester, the deal is $35,000 yearly but still no free corkage. So, Noo Joizee is a relatively better trade.

I wish my taxes in NJ were $24K. Horrific. Taxes and the weather were the reasons I left!

But many people are tied to the area, with good jobs in Manhattan and/or family. So if you have to live there, BYO is an amazing silver lining.

Not exactly. Obviously depends where you live. My taxes are a third of a house half a mile down the street with similar schools and trash removal.

Out here in Oregon, liquor licenses were once allocated based on population. But I think that rule got dropped and I believe that anyone can now get a license. Society seems to have survived the change with no ill effects.
Phil Jones
Portland OR

Let me know the next time you are in town and maybe we can get some folks together and crack open some bottles…I live a mile from Lubrano’s

Will do. Family in Point

I do not think spirits are legal in BYOW restaurants in NJ. They were not BYOB when I lived there.

You are correct. Some enforce that rule. Many don’t, just don’t try to mix cocktails.

I just mix-up a Manhattan at home in a shaker, I bring my own martini glass, and ask for ice when I arrive. No muss no fuss…

Given the “drive-everywhere” nature of Noo Joizee, BYOB may be a mixed blessing.

It’s also pretty cool to have Gary Vaynerchuk as the official state mascot too.