TN: 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

This might be Jamie’s best pinot to date. So delicious. Bravo!

• 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/23/2018)
    This is so good. Beautiful vibrant red fruit. Medium concentrated. Spicy. Such a fabulous balance even at this early stage. I love the energetic feel in the mouth. Mineral. Fabulous finish. A+

Posted from CellarTracker

That is an incredible compliment Don. I have enjoyed reading your mostly Burgundy notes for 15 years now and really respect your taste. Your post has made my day.

Cheers and best to you!
Jamie

We drank the 2016 Sonoma Coast Chard with apps before dinner yesterday and it was beautiful…Great fruit density but light and balanced on the palate, with a lemon tinge and a mineral finish. It’s young and will be even better with some bottle age. I love what Jamie is doing with his Chards…

We drank a 2012 Falstaff with dinner. It was a perfect match with the Thanksgiving spread. It had what seemed like a bit of whole-cluster steminess (which I like) that gave the wine the complexity to compete with the varied flavors of the meal.

Our guests were Kutch novices and they were very impressed with my wine selection…:slight_smile:

Don, fantastic note. I had this on Wednesday, loved it…that said, the 2016 Sonoma Coast we opened yesterday for Thanksgiving floored me – one of the best Pinots I’ve had all year.

Jamie, thx for making such killer wines!

I didn’t think these had been shipped yet? Mine still show as pending in CellarTracker.

Dale,

I offered 2 ship dates. The 2nd or later ship date was 12/3. Yours will ship then!

Thank you Alex and Paul!

That 2012 Falstaff is in the zone right now. Just got my latest Chard shipment. Looking forward to a bottle.

Don,
This sounds great. Thanks for the note. Cheers!

Opened one of these on Thanksgiving. Don, I totally agree with your note. So good!

I agree with Don’s note, as this wine is indeed stellar. I had forgot about Don’s comments and when I went to post my TN, I found it. As the rise of these wines at Jamie’s hands continue to get better and better, and what is very low alcohols and no new oak to speak of, it’s a thrill to watch these wines get better and better after each vintage. Bravo, Jamie.

• 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/20/2019)
    Last tasted this in July 2018 on our visit to see Jamie. I opened tonight’s bottle about 90 mins ago and the first pour was kind of burly, a little bit of root beer and a roasted quality. Huh, this would not be a Kutch PN, most certainly for me in the era of the last few vintages where I had seen Jamie really find his stride. But, with air, this really got turned around, which speaks to the transformation of wine and what oxygen can do for it. And this was a really impressive transformation, coming around to drinking very similar to last summer’s bottle. Some rose petal and iron in the aromatics, and maybe a blushing of stems but there is nothing stemmy at all here. This vintage of 'Dougie shows me a juiciness, a plummy and blueberry centric wine, that has a vivid core and a light influence of citrusy acidity to freshen it. Most of all, the Kutch ‘purity’, which is for me the emerging hallmark of Jamie’s wines. This drinks with that purity, with a balance that is beautiful, all at 12% ABV, too. I made a comment about this past summer’s bottle being approachable and I have the same closing comment here: this is a joy to drink now, provided you give this a little air to let it unfurl and show just how good this wine is.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great, another mailing list I have to sign up for immediately.

In all seriousness, can’t wait to taste these wines!

[whistle.gif] Billy, well, you don’t have to sign up for it but if you want access to the releases that start next week in Jamie’s mailer, then you need to sign up, I guess.

Just out of curiosity: At current exchange rates this retails in Norway for USD 58. I’ve already bought a few. How does this compare to US prices (we’ve got transport and a25% sales tax to comply with)?

Indeed–my last note is from July with Jamie at the winery. Mine are resting safely with my friends in Cleveland, but excited to read the notes above. My take from back then:

2016 Kutch McDougall PN

Almost always my favourite of the lineup, 12%, 100% whole cluster for this and the Falstaff and all in neutral oak. 25 year vines now. Lurking baking spices in the bouquet, darker but still fresh fruit. To taste, sedate and deep but with power. What I like most about it is the feel of self-assuredness, of precision (again, not in the sense of “correct” but in the sense of focus) that this wine has. A “library” wine with whispers of all manner of berry fruit, 5 years plus will only make this more enjoyable.

I may still have a slight preference for the 13 and (when I decide to have the temerity to open another one) the 14 vintage, but I’m willing to wait to see if these can change my outlook.

Alex, there was a change in the 16 SC—it had been (mostly, if not all) Stagecoach and Campbell Ranch fruit, for 16 it was declassified McDougall, Falstaff and Bohan. Agree, delicious.

Haere Ra,

Mike

65 USD was the cost over here, Odd. 58 your side is a great price. Finished my bottle last night, and it added a dried cranberry note in the finish. Excellent stuff.

That’s just the way distribution or wholesale or export works sometimes. Producers take 50% off their price and sell the wine for the importer or distributor to pick-up from their cellar door or warehouse. It’s challenging to impossible to be sure all the mark-ups, taxes, import duties, freight, etc. all work out to get the price back to the “retail price”. The other HUGE piece of the equation is currency and shifts. That can make things look cheap or expensive if there is a shift.

In any event, I try and watch all of this. We work with a really great and incredibly nice importer in Norway. I have traveled to visit the market twice. It’s a beautiful country! I hope this enlightens some into the price deviation! Cheers.

Thanks for chiming in, and for the nice words. We’re tasting the 2013 of this along with a wide range of US Pinots with 20 members of our wineclub in Bergen on the coming Sunday. Looking forward to that, my previous few tastes of your wines have shown them to be in a style I like.

I just had a 2013 MacDougall last night. It was really singing, probably right at the start of its maturity period. I look forward to hearing how it’s received by your group.

Just drank the 2012 and it was fabulous. Bought this at an outrageous price in the secondary market I’m ashamed to say so that I could try the wines. Agree with Chris’s comments, this wine hasn’t peaked yet.

Jamie - are you up in the Sonoma square? I’ll be there early February if you happen to be around.

Thanks Byran for the kind note and compliment above. As for our winery location, yes we are right off the Sonoma Square on 8th street. I would be happy to see you. Please just drop me an email at jamie @ kutch wines.com and I will make it happen!