Pick a champagne

If you had to choose one of these for a multi course tasting menu, which would you go with?

Krug 163
Krug 164
2002 Krug
2008 Dom

I was leaning towards the 163 as the most ready to drink, thoughts?

'02 Krug.

02 Krug, especially over a multi course menu as you can watch it open up and develop over dinner.

02 Krug

Krug 02 will stand up to a variety of foods

I’ve had all except the 2008 Dom. For current drinking, I agree with Krug 163.

Krug 02 or 163.

I would take the Krug 164; imo the most satisfaction today, unless you can find some 165 :slight_smile:

My hesitation with popping the 02 Krug is that I think it will continue to improve while the 163 is drinking closer to peak, do you guys really think the 02 krug is drinking better now? I’ve read a lot of notes suggesting it needs more time.

I’ve enjoyed the 164 I’ve had in half bottle but the full bottles I’ve tried have been pretty tight; will it open up in time?

The difficulty with this dinner is that it’s not in a city I live in, but I’ll have a pretty good assortment of champagne in a wine check I’m bringing home. Whatever I bring will have to be chilled to drinking temp before it’s opened so that will delay it even a bit more.

If you open the bottle as early as you can and linger over it, it ought to unwind some. You might even consider decanting; a thinner walled decanter tends to cool down much faster than a thick walled champagne bottle

Can you flesh out the menu expectations a bit?

http://www.oriolechicago.com/menu/

Do the pairing

Nah I only drink champagne w tasting menus; will probably grab a red btg for the meat course.

Which Krug goes best with a Sidecar?

I vote 02 Krug for the sake of seeing it change along the meal.