TN: 2005 Château Haut-Bergey (France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan)

• 2005 Château Haut-Bergey - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (11/21/2018)
    13 years old from a half bottle — I can’t help but think if this were a 1985 being consumed in 1998, it would be a lot different. The move toward riper fruit and toastier oak produces a different wine at this stage. Not a lot of aromatic complexity here — a bit of cigar box, chocolate from the oak and nicely ripe cassis fruit. It’s round with really fine grained tannins. Really nice balance and a moderate finish. While it’s tasty and hard not to like, it could be more interesting. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Just as all Haut Bergey I’ve had since 1996. Good enough but that’s just about it. Price reflects my sentiment, imo.

This. I pass. Too much oak for my palate as well.

I picked up a case of this for less than $20/bottle but have unfortunately had the same experience — good deep fruit, good balance, nothing offensive, but just not very interesting. A substantial wine that is just weirdly bland and boring. I am hoping that further aging does more for it, because the 2000 Haut Bergey is actually very good right now and has plenty of interest (contrary to some of the sweeping judgements on Haut Bergy above). A lot of 2005s are not showing all they have right now. But for now J Dove’s note is very true to my experience.

Yup. Pretty much my experience. I’ve recently been through a few other 05s (L’Arrosee, Boyd-Cantenac, Brane-Cantenac) that I prefer. Liked the nose and attack. Some wood but not too bothersome. As soon as I hit the midpalate, I immediately said “FAT!”. Not sure about the “weird”. It’s kind of nice but just drops out suddenly due to inadequate brightness. YMMV. I don’t do points but can’t see it breaking 85.

It’ll be a good party wine with non-geeks…whenever we can make that happen again.

RT

Sorry to read this as I have a 1/2 case I haven’t touched. This was the VERY last bordeaux I bought. The last of the '05’s for the cellar, got these for a good price in 2008 and haven’t purchased a single bottle of bordeaux since.
Edit - did buy a single '66 Lynch & '70 Montrose from winebid in 2009.

By the time I drink these my palate may be shot anyway, so fat just might work.

This