TN: Shortridge-Lawton Bual Madeira 1878...(short/boring)

After the K-State/KenesawState BB game, Caleb & I adjourned to Ken&Sue’s to try this wine:

1. Bual Madeira (#86 of 600 btls; 21%; Joao Joaquim Camacho) Vinhos Shortridge-Lawton/Funchal/Madeira 1878:
    Light mahogony/burnished bronze color; very perfumed/fragrant nutty classic Madeira very complex nose; soft very delicate/elegant perfumed lightly sweet/off-dry very slight alcoholic very smooth/gentle nutty/classic Madeira quite complex flavor; very long/lingering delicate/elegant/very complex/smooth off-dry classic Madeira/nutty finish that goes on & on; shows little alcohol and incredibly smooth/delicate/complex on the palate w/ none of oxidized/acetaldhyde character Madeiras can show; an incredible old Madeira in beautiful shape. $18.00 (HH)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. As one person (who shall not be named) noted on my FaceBook post: “At last, one of your birth-year wines”!!

1. KenShultis was my major professor at K-State and my wine mentor whose lineage can be traced back to RichardFeynman. In the mid-'70’s, we’d often meet up in Denver for a long weekend of wine & food. This was a btl that Ken got at the late HarryHoffman’s Liquors for the ridiculous price of $18. Alas, because of liver & kidney issues, Ken has not drunk wine for over a year. This was his last btl that he had been saving for me. He did, however, take a few sips of this wine and was blown away by it. So I drank most of the btl myself over the next two days. Incredible stuff, it is. He has one more special btl he’s saving for my next visit. A Dr.Barolet Chambolle-Musigny 1953.
    Tom

$18, what a bargain! Shortridge Lawton is an old company which joined the Madeira Wine Association, later the Madeira Wine Company. I don’t believe they bottle under this label anymore.

Wow! Still waiting for Tom’s long and captivating notes . . .

Nope, Eric…don’t think they use this label anymore. Think it was a one-of label. The 1878 and the 1861 Madeiras that they bought from this
guy.
Tom

I’ve actually had several wine with the Shortridge Lawton label. The Madeira Wine Company used it quite a bit in the UK some decades ago.