1 for 3: A Nice 2010 Daniel & Julien Barraud Pouilly-Fuissé En Buland Vieilles Vignes

I hit .333 with white Burgundy yesterday. Damn good batting average if I was an MLB catcher, not-so-great for $50 bottles of wine that I fed to my sink last night. I dumped a horribly oxidized 2014! Daniel Dampt Vaillons and then the first bottle of this Barraud. The second bottle of Barraud was killer, and in line with Allen Meadows note (93+) that led me to pick a couple up. Can’t remember the last time I was excited by Pouilly Fuisse. This was quite good.
Sucks I opened three bottles to get one good one. In the words of Bob Dylan, “ah, you know some babies never learn”

• 2010 Daniel & Julien Barraud Pouilly-Fuissé En Buland Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Mâconnais, Pouilly-Fuissé (11/19/2018)
    Vibrant color. Starts rich and full with a great energy. Minerality here. Apple and lemon and some hints of sweet baked fruit. Lively, racy acidity than really keeps the wine humming across the palate. Sound bottles should drink well for a while it seems.

Posted from CellarTracker

I’ve been enjoying Pouilly-Fuissé as alternatives to pricier white burgs and have had some real winners (eg Ferret). But your ‘batting average’ is really sad.

That’s pretty sad to have an oxidized 2014, but I suppose it’s getting to be that time. The youngest premoxed WB I’ve had was a 2011 but that was two years ago now.

I’m continuing to look in that direction.

Yep. Youngest for me, too. There wasn’t even a doubt when I saw the color as it poured from bottle on first glass. Not an expensive wine, relatively, but still…

Damn, I’ve got a '14 Dampt Fourneaux in the cellar and you’re making me nervous!

Dampt doesn’t have a great track record. Don’t wait too long [cheers.gif]

FWIW Macon, and Pouilly-Fuisse in particular, has felt like a safe haven for me, as we’ve had a good number of bottles and yet to find one that was at all advanced, let alone full-on *oxidised. Luck of the draw I guess.

Regards
Ian

• Well to be fair, there was a bottle of 1988 Ch Fuisse VV Pouilly-Fuisse bought at auction and showing obvious (but not overwhelming) oxidation in 2007, but that for me would just have been a matter of drinking the wine 5-10 years later than ideal!

Looks like I know what I’m bringing to thanksgiving! [cheers.gif]