Riesling and Nebbiolo from last Millenium (Prüm beats Dönnhoff again)

We enjoyed some great wines this weekend in my house:
2016 Fratelli Alessandria Pelaverga Always a pleasure to drink this, although I consider it more a summer-wine. Unique flavour profile
2017 Kuhling Gillot Hipping GG Great concentration and balanced, despite the reductive character
2017 St Anthony Hipping GG Surprisingly precise and delicious
2017 Van Volxem Volz GG This is a brilliant GG. On par with 2017 Pergentsknopp IMO
1998 Maximin Grünhäuser Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett Halbtrocken A big surprise. Extremely wonderful wine. Even better on day 2
1988 Joh. Jos. Prum Bernkasteler Lay Riesling Auslese Halbtrocken. I love this. My 5th bottle. All have been great
1988 Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg, Riesling, Kabinett A lovely Kabinett
1988 Von Hövel Schartzhofberg Kabinett TCA infected. Again [head-bang.gif]
1996 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese. Fresh and attractive, but far behind the 1994 Prüm
1988 Dönnhoff Brücke Riesling Spätlese. Also a year with fresh acid, but still behind JJ Prüm. Generally I prefer Prüm Spätlese in most vintages
1994 JJ Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese. Wow. This is an extraordinary wine. It is so precise and balanced. Will last at least 10 years more. With the Giacosa, my WOTN champagne.gif
**1988 Christoffel Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese ***** Still young and very easy to drink and enjoy.
1994 Priesterseminar Trittenheimer Apotheke Auslese. Also a surprise. A first class Auslese
2004 Agrapart Avizoise Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru. So pure and deep with razor sharp precision. Loved it. Brought by a friend [thankyou.gif]
1982 Fratelli Alessandria Pelaverga OTH
1999 Fratelli Alessandria Verduno San Lorenzo. Lovely Barolo
1976 Fratelli Alessandria Verduno Barolo Very tired
1999 Giacosa Rocche Falletto. As always the Giacosa wins. A multilayered, deep wine that is so enjoyable to drink champagne.gif
1985 F Rinaldi Barolo A wellstored Rinaldi that showed a lot of purity and spiciness
1979 Produttori Rabaja Tired
1964 Fratelli Alessandria Serralunga Barolo. It was indeed a 64. Lot of stuffing and a pleasure to drink.
20181118_084559.jpg
20181118_084410.jpg
20181118_084323.jpg

Quite a weekend you had yourself there!

Surprised that the Halbtrocken would show well?

I’ve had a couple of Prüms from that period that were still pretty young and tight. I gather this was showing more?

What really would have been interesting was if this had been alive! [cheers.gif]

94 and 96 Prums are spectacular.

I wouldn’t compare them with Donnhoff though. Different styles totally.

My point is that every time we have had Dönnhoff and JJ Prüm from the 80’s and 90’s together the Prüm Spätleses performed far better.
But generally I prefer restsüsse wines from MSR

YES,YES, YES, 1998 Maximin Grünhäuser Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett Halbtrocken + Bischöfliches Priesterseminar Trittenheimer Apotheke Auslese were mind-blowing.

1999 Giacosa Rocche Falletto a masterpiece.

1964 Fratelli Alessandria Serralunga Barolo was such wonderful. A great honor to drink this wine.

And soo many other great wines on this terrific night. TAK Claus.

Martin, I just reloaded on Bischöfliches Priesterseminar from the 90´s
The 1994 Trittenheimer Apotheke Auslese was indeed amazing

Very thirsty weekend Claus, great line up!

I bought a few ‘96 Prum WS Auslese recently and loved the first one I opened. These are glorious wines. Now I’m hunting for them.

About the Giacosa ‘99 Falletto - where would you say it is on the development curve?

The Prüms from the cooler years in the 90’s stand out. I have had a lot of Kabinett, Spätlese, Auslese from 1996 and they were all outstanding
The 1999 Giacosa was in the beginning of a long peak. It will end after 2040

I retasted a bottle of 2017 St Antony Hipping GG. It is a remarkable effort. The Weingut claims to own the best parcel in Hipping, a Steillage in Rote Hang, and the quality of the wine supports it
It is one of the many great 2017 GG´s
csm_8051_RHH_HIPPING_Nierstein_04_byVDP_b0aa0f57f7.jpg