Generosity among wine lovers

I just read Alan Weinberg’s post regarding vinous thanks, and it triggered something that I think about frequently: the generosity among those who love wine (not crazy about “love” in this context, but it gets the point across). It seems that those truly passionate about this endeavor will share almost anything in their cellar with those similarly passionate. I can’t think of another, similar scenario where this is true. Thus, to play simultaneously with Alan’s thread, I thought that it would be a good Thanksgiving or year-end activity for board members to share the vinous generosity shown them by others.

Here’s mine: Following one brief meeting with Jerry Hey, he and Alan Weinberg and their wives came down to San Diego from LA for dinner, and they invited my wife and me to join them. Jerry brought his last bottle from a case of 1982 Ramonet Montrachet, and each of them brought multiple bottles of DRC and Leroy from the 60s and 70s. Subsequently, Alan and Denise returned to San Diego and invited my wife and me out again to enjoy the likes of the 93 Gibourg-Mugneret Clos de Vougeot and a 47 Clos de Vougeot from a producer that only Alan will remember. I can’t reciprocate, but there is no expectation that I do so.

This aspect of the wine world is unique, I believe, and something to be recognized.

There is something about sharing your wine with others that makes it special, seeing others enjoy the wines that you have lovingly searched out purchased, picked up from UPS then stored for years gives a sense of sharing the wines spirit that always improves the experience. I frequently share bottles with friends who would never buy wines at that level and the joy and pleasure they get does make it worthwhile.