Great Burgundy/Great Appetizer Combo?

For my parent’s 50th wedding anniversary later this week, I’m breaking out what amounts to my ‘big guns’ to share with them and my family. For the red I have an 01 Richebourg GC. Because of the circumstances for their party it won’t be done with a sit down main course but we can share it among 5 people or so with our own special heavy app that I can make beforehand. My first thought is several stuffed and grilled portobello caps, maybe with a shredded duck breast filler, but can be persuaded elsewhere. I’m not a gourmet chef, and I can’t do something so intricate that it takes me away from enjoying the party, but I can adapt and improvise. What have been great combos for you that can work in a small plates setting?
TIA

Mushroom and duck sound great w Burgundy. What producer of the Richebourg?

Mongeard-Mugneret

I bet it’d be pretty tasty with some duck confit (which you could buy ahead of time)

Mmmm, confit stuffed portobello, easier on me. Even better.

Any ‘trigger’ ingredients that would be good to add? By which I mean something to throw in that always seems to bring out strengths in the wine. Nutmeg, for example, I find works tremendously in matching Alsatian wines. Memories of a lamb shoulder smothered with a nutmeg rub and paired with a GC Pinot Gris still gives me the feels.

http://www.seasonalandsavory.com/2014/07/stuffed-mushrooms-with-duck-and-fresh-cherries.html

Like the addition of cherries there.
My thyme went rogue and had to dig it out. Substitute w/sage, lavender, or rosemary if given a choice?

Gougeres
Epoisses
Smoked duck breast

My mouth is watering at all these suggestions with that wine.

My experience with MM wines is that they tend to be relatively tannic for Burgundy, even at 17 years old - although I have not had any of their 2001s. While I agree with others that duck and mushrooms are generally great companions to Burgundy, I might recommend in this case a beef or lamb dish, which often help with tannins.

Mic drop!

Understood, but can’t do ‘dish’, at least not this occasion

Found a Gougeres recipe that isn’t complicated, and good for prep early/reheat on site. Proper.

I was thinking small pieces on a toothpick or something like that.

That sounds amazing…thank you for sharing.

• 1 Will have to try that when cherries are in season.

Sautéed mushrooms in butter, herbs, splash of red wine, lamb crumble, truffle oil, topped by a sunny side egg and crispy fried onions. Just a thought on the subway.

Duck confit sliders with wild mushrooms, caramelized shallots, and a razor thin slice of fresh mozzerella. Easily prepped the previous day and warmed then assembled on site.

Though I don’t have much experience with the MM wines. So if you want to take Howard’s advice and go with beef or lamb, they would work nicely in the slider too.

Keep it simple, serve with creamy soft “weak” (i.e. NOT STRONG) cheese on a baget or unflavored crackers.

With a quality Burgundy, you need a canvas, not a distraction.

Just my $.02

Your thinking on the subway is better than most. Well done