TN: 2008 JF Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny

This is Chambolle-Musigny. Pretty little red fruits, red cherries and framboise, some whole bunch sap and just a hint of quinine. Still quite primary, but so silky in the mouth. Text book and thoroughly engaging. Forgot that I had a few of these so a nice discovery.

Lovely.

Interesting. First time I recall seeing “quinine” in a red wine TN.

A little bit of stem derived bitterness. I like it. And I particularly like quinine in tonic mixed with Henricks on a hot day (like today)!

As I always like to point out, about half of the wine comes from the 1er vineyard les plantes, and the rest from a classy village piece in la Combe d’orveau.

Thanks for the note. Have this vintage stashed away in Bond warehouse. Wish I had bought as many vintages of this as I could get my hands on.

just half-assed trying to find it. No dice. But, apparently, pretty damn expensive for a villages!

Because it’s actually not a village, the '10 is as good as any '10 1er Crus that I have come across.

The 08 was a much better wine than any vintage of their Marechale. Unfortunately it is the only vintage of this wine that i have managed to procure…sadly. Thanks Rob and Chiu for your comments, it is up there with the best village level wine that I have tasted.

I thought he didn’t use much if any whole cluster?

I love Mugnier’s Chambolle, but this is debatable. I think their Marechale is criminally looked down upon, because there is two times as much of it as all their other wines combined. I think Clos de la Maerechale truly holds its own, and we have just opened a case of the 2008 that is singing.

it is up there with the best village level wine that I have tasted.

Despite the above, I agree 100%. CellarTracker suggests I still have a few bottles of the 2008 left. I’ll see if I can dig one up. Thanks for your note.

As far as I know, all Mugnier wines are 100% destemmed. I suspect Kent’s perception relates to the 2008 vintage character.

Thanks for your thoughts Brady and especially comments re the Marechale. I have all vintages from 2009 onwards and suspect I have passed judgement too soon.

Felt like some whole bunch action in this wine. Most of Mugnier wines that I have tried tend to be very pure and pretty and do indeed express a 100% destemmed character. This wine did feel quite different, but it may justhave been the influence of a cooler growing season.

Try Mugnier’s village one night, and Roumier’s the next. So different, but both sublime. I suspect preference might depend on one’s mood.

Had a 99 Roumier recently that hit the ball out of the park.

Turns out I have both the ‘08 Mugnier and ‘08 Roumier Chambolle. Could be a fun side by side.

In most years I think the Roumier would win the side-by-side handily. Of course that doesn’t mean it’s better, just a bit bigger and more concentrated.

Roumier needs time, 15 yrs plus in most vintages.

I would add Ghislaine B Village in the mix. It is most often superb…
3 wines, 3 styles.
How are you doing back across the pond Brady? This tells me you are safe from the fires. [cheers.gif]

Don’t forget the little engine that could … Bertheau. [cheers.gif] If you served the wines blind, I think you’d be surprised.

More on the Mugnier side of the spectrum. The epitome of unfussy, airy, red-fruited Burgundy to my taste.