2016 The Bard

This arrived a few weeks ago and I had one earmarked for an early open. With the early November snow making for a special occasion of sorts, went at it. It was not what I expected. Not a heavy weight at all, it is very light on its feet. A spiciness to the nose, maybe clove?, followed on the palate by a beautiful array of flavors of red and black fruit, and spice, beautifully balanced and dancing on the palate, with a lingering finish. The initial impression is kind of light, but then the depth of the flavors cascade. Excellent.

Jim, thank you for posting your first impressions of The Bard. It sounds like a nicely finessed version with aging potential. Is it “light” because the nose is a little “closed off”, or is it light in color and body? What is driving the “lightness” impression?

My shipment arrives the week after Thanksgiving. I’ll cellar it for a few years.

Jim,
wonderful note; thanks for taking one for the team; would you recommend opening one now?
I’ve planned to cellar these for a few years, but your note makes it sound like it might be accessible now.

Yes it is very drinkable now. The tannins build a little as it is open, but it was quite a delight even at this age. The light palate impression- I am not sure how to describe it, but I think it is the balance of acidity in the wine with the fruit, and, that it is not an over extracted, heavy, hugely decadent kind of wine. Kind of dances across the tongue. But do not interpret light as light in color, which it is not, or light in depth, which it is not.

Thanks Jim!

I’m glad a purchased a few bottles. Thanks for the review Jim.

I have several on the way myself, and loved the 2015 but wanted to share some (somewhat sobering) info on this bottling. I’m told when the wine was first released it was about 200 cases and largely Beckstoffer fruit, now production has risen to 2000 cases (and I’m grateful for the opportunity to buy) but with a lesser amount of Beckstoffer in the blend. The handful of notes on CT describe 2016 as a “medium bodied” wine that on Realm’s website is “considered the quintessential wine of Realm: a dense, weighty and concentrated wine year in and year out”.

I plan on leaving them alone for 6-12 months before trying one. Looking forward to everyone’s experience

It is not nearly as concentrated as I have come to expect from Realm, which to me is a really good thing. This wine is in my sweet spot, but my wife and others prefer the richer, weighty (over the top imho) style.

I love, in general, how the 2016 vintage is shaping up, especially in contrast to the 2015.