2003 SQN Ode To E Syrah.. how much air

Trying to decide on 3 hour decant or open in the AM, put cork in and let it air in bottle all day?

Thoughts on this?

I’d open, pour a taste to confirm its sound and decide from there. If it’s delicious cork back up and leave on counter, if tight, leave cork out on counter.

Kris,

thank you for taking the time to reply. Sounds logical.

No worries, we drink lots of SQN, usually on a lark, so PnP, but when planned, I find this to be ideal, as I always open around 7 or 8am, sniff, see if corked, taste and pick one way or other.

Don’t think you can lose either way, but it does make a difference aromatically for me cork in or out.

Please post a note. May be an Xmas wine for us.

Putting the cork back in is not the same thing as letting it air all day. That’s not really much different from popping and pouring.

Insightful.

I brought this wine to an offline to an offline and if I recall it was pop and pour and it showed perfectly. However all bottles are a little different, so my opinion is to double decant with a few hours in a decanter to open up a little. it certainly cant hurt as it is a pretty big wine. Some people might prefer to pop and pour as that way you can watch it evolve. Enjoy ! One of favorite SQNS ever.

Due to bottle age pop and pour, if it needs a decant, go from there.
SQN EBA’s I’ve had have done well this way

P&P. No brainer.

Have had this or grenache 4 times this year, has always, for my palate, benefited from a decent decant

Thank you all. A good friend said part of the fun of SQN is popping it and smelling it right off. He usually pops n pours. The issue is it was gifted with the promise I should give it 3 hours air first. That was back in 2012.

I’d avoid the air altogether and take it back to from whence it came because a 2003 Ode to E is a counterfeit—the Odes were from 2004 :slight_smile:

Seriously, though, curious how it is doing. Thinking about taking one to the Fat Duck to mimic a meal we had almost 10 years ago.

Baller!!!

You are going to love this baby one way or another. Have fun and let us know.

How did this perform Harris? What treatment did you decide on?